Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Manipulative Child
Unregistered 09:05 AM 05-12-2018
Hi everyone. I have a child who is aging out and will be gone soon. He's causing issues with other families. He's, as is usually the case with trouble makers, first to come and last to leave. Now, he's start whining with other parents. Let's say him and another child fought over a ball. I took it away from both. When a third parent drops off, he starts sobbing until he noticed. Until he says "Ms. M took away my toy!". As I said, he is the oldest. He's not confused. He just wants attention. I spoke to the parents, but am not concerned as he's leaving and I know they won't change as he's the baby of the family and I've seen him terrorize his siblings. Two parents came for pick yesterday. I overheard them whispering. The jist of it is, I'm mean to the children when the parents leave.

Is there a way I can address the other parents without sounding bad? Say he starts crocodile crying, would be off putting to say "He needs a minute to calm down. Please tend to your own child"?
storybookending 10:22 AM 05-12-2018
I would stop allowing this child access to other parents if your layout allows. He is just looking for attention, take away the opportunity.
racemom 09:26 AM 05-13-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I would stop allowing this child access to other parents if your layout allows. He is just looking for attention, take away the opportunity.
This! If you cannot do this, as soon as he starts crying say to parents I'm sorry but I need to help Bobby right now and lead him away from the area even if it just across the room while explaining to Bobby that even though he is the oldest he still needs to follow directions, share toys or whatever you needed to address that day, and then sit him down in a calm down spot and tell him he may get up when he feels better.
Tags:manipulative, manipulative behavior
Reply Up