Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Freaking Out Over Changes
Unregistered 08:52 PM 05-06-2018
Dcm told me a couple months ago that dcg was not coming in the fall, going to pre k. So, tonight I text them saying I can't watch the girls in the summer(mom is teacher, no big deal) I also text that I could still care for the younger sibling in the fall. Just getting my schedule prepared for the future. Well they text back that their plans changed and they need dcg to come. Now I am in a bind. I had replaced her because I was told she was not coming. They are wigging out on me. Saying I assured them care and how they are having to take a back seat, blah blah blah. So, I tell them I will arrange 2 days of care. They are still mad. I feel very nervous about this. They are neighbors. I watch other neighborhood kids (2). I am not a licensed daycare. I just watch a couple kids to make ends meet. There is no contract. Ugh. No idea what to do. I am limited on how many kids I can care for.
Josiegirl 02:13 AM 05-07-2018
I don't understand how they think you assured them care if they told you dcg would be going to prek in the fall?
I would tell her that once she told you dcg was leaving that you enrolled someone else for the spot and it's no longer available.
You might lose the sibling too. I'd be creating a contract and policy handbook though, to protect you. Unfortunately, being too casual in this business can come back to bite you.
rosieteddy 06:38 AM 05-07-2018
I would stick to what you already told them.You gave the spot to someone else.If they are not happy with part time they have plenty of notice to find somewhere else.I bet your fees are cheaper than others ,plus the convenience of being in the neighborhood.At least they are off for the summer.
storybookending 06:47 AM 05-07-2018
Next time I would require that they give notice in writing as this kind of thing could be avoided. Even if you are operating legally unlicensed and taking only a small amount of children you can still have a contract to protect yourself and your small business. I would search around the forum a bit and write something up, it’s doesnt have to be expansive but it can help protect you when things like this happen.
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Dcm told me a couple months ago that dcg was not coming in the fall, going to pre k. So, tonight I text them saying I can't watch the girls in the summer(mom is teacher, no big deal) I also text that I could still care for the younger sibling in the fall. Just getting my schedule prepared for the future. Well they text back that their plans changed and they need dcg to come. Now I am in a bind. I had replaced her because I was told she was not coming. They are wigging out on me. Saying I assured them care and how they are having to take a back seat, blah blah blah. So, I tell them I will arrange 2 days of care. They are still mad. I feel very nervous about this. They are neighbors. I watch other neighborhood kids (2). I am not a licensed daycare. I just watch a couple kids to make ends meet. There is no contract. Ugh. No idea what to do. I am limited on how many kids I can care for.
How did they tell you the older child was going to pre-k?
Via text, email or just verbally?

Ask them when (and how) you supposedly assured them care for the older child after they told you she was leaving.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if they are freaking out. Did they offer to pay you a deposit? Did they offer to sign a contract stating she was FOR SURE attending?

Then boo on them... I love how parents simply assume you will wait on them and be available any time they need you but rarely, if ever do they offer to DO anything to guarantee that action.

I mean if I want someone to hold or reserve or guarantee something for me then I'd make darn sure I had some sort of confirmation. Kind of like reserving a hotel room.

If they didn't do anything to guarantee their needs would be met, then I think this is their issue not yours.

If they want to treat you disrespectfully then perhaps it's time you found other children to provide care for.
You owe this family nothing.
Snowmom 07:28 AM 05-07-2018
ALL of the above.

They are trying to make it your problem and it's not.

If you really feel you need to help them out, then give them the number to the YMCA or a childcare referral resource.
But honestly, trying to pass the blame onto you would have me fuming if it were me. Neighbors or not, I'd tell them that I believed them when they told me they were terminating and I filled their spot.

For the future, licensed or not, get everything in writing. Having a contract will protect you. You still claim taxes (I hope), so you ARE legitimately conducting business. Having a contract, rules and policies make you more professional imho.
Unregistered 07:40 AM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How did they tell you the older child was going to pre-k?
Via text, email or just verbally?

Ask them when (and how) you supposedly assured them care for the older child after they told you she was leaving.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if they are freaking out. Did they offer to pay you a deposit? Did they offer to sign a contract stating she was FOR SURE attending?

Then boo on them... I love how parents simply assume you will wait on them and be available any time they need you but rarely, if ever do they offer to DO anything to guarantee that action.

I mean if I want someone to hold or reserve or guarantee something for me then I'd make darn sure I had some sort of confirmation. Kind of like reserving a hotel room.

If they didn't do anything to guarantee their needs would be met, then I think this is their issue not yours.

If they want to treat you disrespectfully then perhaps it's time you found other children to provide care for.
You owe this family nothing.
I love you Black Cat! You really put it all into perspective!
hwichlaz 09:20 AM 05-07-2018
It’s not a mess, at least not for you. It’s their mess. Let them clean it up.
Unregistered 05:58 PM 05-07-2018
I love this forum! I actually used my backbone when the family called me and tried to arrange my life with their kids. Again. I told them their lack of communication did not work in their favor. I also told them to never take anything for granted. So thank you black cat especially your info is always spot on and helpful.
amberrose3dg 04:20 AM 05-08-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I love this forum! I actually used my backbone when the family called me and tried to arrange my life with their kids. Again. I told them their lack of communication did not work in their favor. I also told them to never take anything for granted. So thank you black cat especially your info is always spot on and helpful.
Trust me, use that backbone. Families will ALWAYS do what is best for them. Make sure you do what is best for you!
Unregistered 01:37 PM 05-09-2018
I have never had luck doing care for neighbors! They feel like they can walk all over you it seems. I have a neighbor who just walked into my house because she heard kids, walked down my 6 acre property on the weekend to find me and talk daycare then tried to get me to lie on subsidy and get daycare for her friend! I termed and we are still not talking and she is very hostile 6 years later! Right next door!
Tags:friend's children, friends as clients, working with family, working with friends
Reply Up