Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teaching Toddlers to Respond
sahm1225 08:26 AM 09-23-2019
I have a 20month old who cannot respond to any question. He stares at us blankly for any question. Do you want to go outside yes or no? Would you like more milk?

I have other kids in daycare that are similar ages and they're able to say yes or no or nod their head. Or give me some type of response.

If I ask if he wants more milk and he doesn’t respond and I walk away, he cries. But if I add more milk and he didn’t want any, he cries!

How do you teach them that you’re asking a question and expect a response? I’m At a loss
Cat Herder 08:36 AM 09-23-2019
How is he verbally during play? Does he answer Storytime questions or give alternate endings when asked to continue the story?
sahm1225 08:43 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
How is he verbally during play? Does he answer Storytime questions or give alternate endings when asked to continue the story?
None. Grunts occasionally. I know he can hear me when I call him, but he genuinely looks lost when I’m waiting for a response. He does repeat some words occasionally and says mommy. But no conversations or responses or unprompted language:
Cat Herder 09:01 AM 09-23-2019
Can he follow simple one-step directions? How is he doing on his other milestones?
Ms.Kay 09:10 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I have a 20month old who cannot respond to any question. He stares at us blankly for any question. Do you want to go outside yes or no? Would you like more milk?

I have other kids in daycare that are similar ages and they're able to say yes or no or nod their head. Or give me some type of response.

If I ask if he wants more milk and he doesn’t respond and I walk away, he cries. But if I add more milk and he didn’t want any, he cries!

How do you teach them that you’re asking a question and expect a response? I’m At a loss
I have 2 of these kids myself....they also do not know how to play. My only guess is they were both with gparents....before....and..now a few days a week. I can see them getting accustomed to having EVERYTHING done for them.
Ac114 09:37 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
I have 2 of these kids myself....they also do not know how to play. My only guess is they were both with gparents....before....and..now a few days a week. I can see them getting accustomed to having EVERYTHING done for them.
I have this child. At 4 years old, he still can not answer simple questions. I’ll ask things like “Are you finished eating?” And he will respond with “dog” or “cat”. I honestly think he has developmental delays. Still has zero interest in using the potty, can’t dress himself, put on his shoes or follow 2 step directions. I’ve suggested he be evaluated to his parents and they say “no way! He’s so smart he would would fail the test”

Ummm ok 🙄🙄
Ariana 09:38 AM 09-23-2019
It can be situational anxiety if this child is more introverted. Be patient with him. I know how frustrating it can be. I have a 2 year old that says the last thing I say rather than what she wants. If I say “all done”? She will say it, if I say “still eating”? She will say that too. I never know if she is done or not. I just have to guess. I have had a lot of kids like this. It generally clears up IME around 2.5yrs old.
Annalee 09:53 AM 09-23-2019
Alot of these delays, in my opinion, are from the child's home environment.

In the past, the child care environment with a good provider could make changes in a child's life quickly and we still can but It is much more difficult to counter some of these issues. It begin EVERY morning because too often, nothing is retained from the previous child care day. This exemplifies the 'power' negative or positive from the child's home environment.

Every child I have right now has "one" sign that is an "autism" sign. Do I think every child has autism? Absolutely not, but the signs are there.....i.e. developmental delays with speech, motor skills, processing, etc.

These issues have to come from somewhere?????? These children are a product of the "me, technology, no boundaries" parenting.

So I do not see things changing quickly. Just trying to offer what I can daily to "help" the situation while keeping my own sanity.
Ariana 09:57 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by Annalee:

In the past, the child care environment with a good provider could make changes in a child's life quickly and we still can but It is much more difficult to counter some of these issues. It begin EVERY morning because too often, nothing is retained from the previous child care day. This exemplifies the 'power' negative or positive from the child's home environment.

Every child I have right now has "one" sign that is an "autism" sign. Do I think every child has autism? Absolutely not, but the signs are there.....i.e. developmental delays with speech, motor skills, processing, etc.

These issues have to come from somewhere?????? These children are a product of the "me, technology, no boundaries" parenting.

So I do not see things changing quickly. Just trying to offer what I can daily to "help" the situation while keeping my own sanity.
Research backs up your observations that parents, no matter how much time is spent in childcare, are the #1 influence on a child's behavior. Kind of sad isn’t it.
Annalee 10:06 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Research backs up your observations that parents, no matter how much time is spent in childcare, are the #1 influence on a child's behavior. Kind of sad isn’t it.
Yep it is and it's even sadder I didn't choose the "psychology field" for a job
Ms.Kay 04:32 PM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by Annalee:

Could not agree more!!!!!!
dolores 08:49 AM 09-24-2019
Originally Posted by sahm1225:

If he is still this way when he turns 2yo, have a convo with parent about having him evaluated for early intervention services which will help him tremendously.
Tags:developmental milestones, verbal communication
Reply Up