Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare For Teacher's Children
brookeroo 06:48 PM 09-10-2012
Do any of you care for teacher's children? I had an interview for a lady today who has two children so she's looking for a multi-child discount. My brother is a teacher but he coaches through the summer. Because I want to have my nephew I have cut him a deal and let him go part time through the summer but I don't want to do the same for everyone who teaches.

I was wondering how you handle the off season when they are not working as far as pay? Given the fact that she'd already be getting a multi child discount I can't really see letting her go to part time or holding a spot for her without paying for 3 months... curious what other's do.
lovemykidstoo 06:56 PM 09-10-2012
I have 2 families that are teachers. Here is what I do:

The one family I have 1 boy and their other boy is in school. I don't give them any free days and no sibling discount when they both come. He comes 3 days a week during the school year (so $90 a week) and 2 days in the summer. Less days in the summer, but I have the brother that is typically in school so it is actually $120 instead of $90 in the school months so I'm ahead with less days.

The other family has 2 girls (twins) and during the school year they come 3 days and in the summer they come 1 day.

I don't mind the reduced schedule in summer because I get siblings of my other family that come in the summer and also I hace a couple of families that I used to care for and now that their in school I don't, but they do come back in the summer. I don't have a problem filling summer only spots. If I couldn't fill those spots I would probably still require that they come at least 1/2 of the time and charge 1/2 price for the days that they don't come.
lovemykidstoo 06:59 PM 09-10-2012
Not to mention that you don't have to offer every family the same deal. They don't need to know what each other is getting as far as discounts. I have families that pay different and some get free days where others don't. Depends on when they started with me. Once they start with me, I don't raise their rates, but newer people are paying more and I used to give free days, but don't anymore for new families. If you want to cut one teacher a break so you can have your nephew, but not give a deal to another teacher, that is your option and they need not know.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 09-11-2012
I offer teachers the option of paying 9 months out of the year or paying 12 months. So say for example that one full time child costs $150 per week x 52 weeks a year = $7800

They can pay that $7800 at $150 per week or they can break it up into 9 months and pay $216 per week. Either way the total cost is the same but the method in which they pay is not.

They space is theirs so they can use it or not use it. Up to them. Only 1 of my 5 teacher families comes every day all summer. The rest are a combination of 3 days a week or just here and there when needed.

I also don't offer discounts to siblings so that is not an option for any family.

The only "break" or "discount" my teacher families get is I don't charge for a few of the days that there is no school. I choose to do that because I like the break and having less kids every now and then.

(I do charge for the Christmas vacation though as that is one of my week long vacations.) I also charge for any no school days that are paid days off according to my contract such as Thanksgiving, New Years Day etc.
Crazy8 07:51 AM 09-11-2012
I used to give the teachers summers off, no charge. Daycare is avail everywhere here and the number of SAHM's is huge so we are fighting for the business of the working parent.

However, this year I've decided they can take or or leave it, I am charging SOMETHING to hold that spot all summer. I decided on 1/3 of their weekly rate - I've seen it mentioned here and thought that was fair. They can choose to come part time instead if they'd prefer.
e.j. 06:34 PM 09-11-2012
I wish I could afford to let teachers (or any parent who wants to) take the summer off for free or at a discounted rate but I can't afford to do that. I've always given parents a choice: they can pay to hold the spot and be guaranteed the spot will be there in the fall or they can take a risk, not pay for the summer and hope the spot will be there in the fall. Most choose to pay and bring their child during the summer. It keeps the child's schedule consistent over the summer and it gives the parent some child-free time to shop, clean the house, do yard work, work in the garden, etc.

If I find someone who needs summer care only or the teacher gives me the name of a family who needs summer care and my other spots are taken, I might agree to the teacher taking the summer off unpaid with a guarantee to give her the spot back in the fall. I would have to find someone who needs the same hours/days as that parent's child to make it worth it for me, though.
mom2many 07:16 AM 09-12-2012
I've had several kids that had moms as teachers. Several of the families always paid me the full time rate to hold there spots and had no problem with that. They'd been used to paying year round at their prior daycare center and my home daycare rates were lower, so they came out ahead!

Another family asked to use me only during the time when she was teaching and it worked out well for me, because I was able to take a dcb that needed daycare on vacation days only.

I really like Blackcat's policy though and will keep that in mind for future clients!
momma2girls 07:20 AM 09-12-2012
I have done all teacher's children about 3 yrs. now. I give them 50% off on Spring/Xmas breaks. For the Summers I just charge a holding fee to hold a spot for the Fall.
Tags:provider children - in other daycare
Reply Up