Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Table Manners
Jack Sprat 12:18 PM 03-20-2015
Do parents not teach table manners anymore? Or is it just my parents?

I think I expect pretty basic things at meal times.

Use your utensils
No elbows on the table
Close your mouth when chewing food
Do not talk with food in your mouth
Our clothes are not napkins
Sit on our bottoms
Please and thank you are VERY nice words

SA dck who is 8, had the WORST manners I have ever seen. I don't like being the manner police at meal time but, these are things I think every child really needs to learn. My younger kids do better then he does. They remind each other about manners.
daycare 02:20 PM 03-20-2015
that is one of the first things parents always say to me WOW I can't believe that my kid asked to be excused and cleaned up after themselves.

I really think that people have forgotten the little things that really matter.

the other day I was target and a child in front of me in line accidentally stepped on my foot, he was about 7-8. It hurt and I kind of yelped a little, it really hurt bad because I had open toe shoes on. The child said nothing and the mom said Hey move out of her way and that was it.

REALLY..........Even though you may not mean it, out of courtesy say you are sorry, at least one of you.....I don't know, maybe i expect too much.
Josiegirl 02:32 PM 03-20-2015
Oh I don't know...my 4 yo dcg clearly knows the rules. She reminds us at least every other day we don't say the words poop, puke or vagina at the table.

I think parents let a lot of stuff slide now. But it's not just parents. Society, as a whole, has stepped away from using manners. I have a pet peeve about a woman that works at the store I shop at. She never greets me, or says, thank you, or barely acknowledges me at all. She doesn't even tell me how much the sale came to, just stands there waiting for me to give her the money, as I squint to look at the amount. I see lack of manners everywhere these days. It's truly sad.

Whatever happened to teaching kids all the basics of respect?
grandmom 03:10 PM 03-20-2015
I have a four year old who (I think) purposefully puts a wad of food in his mouth before trying to talk. It subsided quite a bit as soon as I told him I'd excuse him from the table - and then did just that.
Controlled Chaos 03:52 PM 03-20-2015
I am big on manners. Using utensils, please, thank you, excuse me... I am always surprised by how excited parents are by their child asking to be excused from the table. That is something we work on in my home and daycare from day one.

My kids have a dozen cousins their age (between the age of 12m - 5y). None of the others can sit through a meal, ask to be excused or even go play toys lol...they can't play by themselves! My mil always gives me awkward compliments in front of her daughters about it
Gemma 04:38 AM 03-21-2015
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:

Use your utensils
No elbows on the table
Sit on our bottoms

The only one I do not expect, is the "no elbows on table" all the rest are the way I teach kids to behave at the table.
LindseyA 05:54 AM 03-21-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
The only one I do not expect, is the "no elbows on table" all the rest are the way I teach kids to behave at the table.
Same here. I may be one of the younger generations here, but I was never taught about "no elbows" and honestly never really understood that rule! But my dcks always follow the other rules mentioned, or at least try to follow them!
284878 10:40 AM 03-21-2015
Originally Posted by LindseyA:
Same here. I may be one of the younger generations here, but I was never taught about "no elbows" and honestly never really understood that rule! But my dcks always follow the other rules mentioned, or at least try to follow them!

I was taught no elbows but it was not really enforce. However I believe the reason behind it is to reinforce good posture. Since you slouch when you are resting your arms on the table.
Gemma 04:03 PM 03-22-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
I was taught no elbows but it was not really enforce. However I believe the reason behind it is to reinforce good posture. Since you slouch when you are resting your arms on the table.
I guess that could be the reason., but I tried it, I could sit up straight and still have my elbows on the table so I'm not sure
..Hubby and I were talking about it yesterday, neither one of us could figure out a possible reason for that rule...I thought maybe cause families were larger, and keeping elbows off the table would give everyone more room?..I don't know, I dislike rules without a reason!
Unregistered 03:12 AM 03-23-2015
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:

Use your utensils
No elbows on the table
Sit on our bottoms

SA dck who is 8, had the WORST manners I have ever seen. I don't like being the manner police at meal time but, these are things I think every child really needs to learn. My younger kids do better then he does. They remind each other about manners.

The majority of my work out of the home friends (including myself) don't even sit down to meals as a family. The kids either eat by themselves at a kitchen counter or in front of the tv. A few eat alot in the car driving between activities for their kids.
Tags:table manners
Reply Up