Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When parents leave, how long to fill your spots?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:48 PM 10-25-2009
If any of you have followed any of my previous posts, I let a family of 2 kids go due to severe behavior issues (I had a 12 year old girl with BiPolar and her brother..things were really rough with them). Then one of my parents is leaving me to have a family member watch her girl for free so they can save money.

So just curious (since I'm stressing about income now) how long it takes you ladies to fill your spots once you lose parents (or let them go in my case)? I just placed an ad in my local paper and put signs up around town.

I would say our town has appx. 3,000 residence, maybe a little less or more, I'm not exactly sure but it's around there..so it's a small town.
cuddlebuggz 07:30 PM 10-25-2009
Word of mouth from a current family is the fastest and most efficient way to fill spots, then you are more likely to get another great family. I wish you the best of luck, it's hard to be patient when INCOME is on everyone's minds.

Try an open house, give a referral bonus to current families, offer a bonus for new families, post on craigslist, if you have connections with other providers in the area and they are full let them know you have openings and tell them to send lookers your way.

Be sure to let families know what sets you apart from other providers..like a pre-school program, organic, do you keep low numbers, offer transportation to school, offer sibling discounts.

My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:52 AM 10-26-2009
Thanks, I really like the idea of an open house...that one I never thought of and never heard of in my area. That would be different.

I posted on Craigslist but I read someone mentioned putting up pictures..I think I will do that today.

Thank you for those suggestions...it is VERY hard to wait knowing you need the income. I noticed another registered provider in my town is advertising too..and with a small town, I guess it can be a while.
melissa ann 06:21 AM 10-26-2009
I did an open house last year and only 1 person showed up. She was just being nosy, oops, curious. I had mine on a Sat afternoon. Maybe that wasn't a good time for it. My thought was that people are busy during the week I thought the weekend would be better.
I have posted on Craigslist but ususally I get people who say they are from another country and are being transferred to my area or people saying they can help with my money troubles.
I did just post on daycare.com has anyone had any luck w/that? I took the advice Michael gave to someone else about giving a 10%discount on first week's rate w/mention of the ad.
Unregistered 01:26 PM 10-26-2009
Use vistaprint.com to create postcards that can be handed out in your neighborhood. They offer 100 free cards. All you pay is shipping. Then stick them in plastic bags and attach them to front doors where you see kid items. I have also had luck dropping them in OB offices, pediatrician offices, the library, and in the diper bags for sale at wallmart.

Good luck
melissa ann 02:43 PM 10-26-2009
Is it legal to put business cards in the diaper bags at Walmart? I would think not.
tinytotzdaycare 04:22 PM 10-26-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Use vistaprint.com to create postcards that can be handed out in your neighborhood. They offer 100 free cards. All you pay is shipping. Then stick them in plastic bags and attach them to front doors where you see kid items. I have also had luck dropping them in OB offices, pediatrician offices, the library, and in the diper bags for sale at wallmart.

Good luck
The diaper bag is interesting...might be even more interesting if you were registered!!
Chickenhauler 10:03 PM 10-27-2009
We've had good luck with putting an ad in the local paper (the internet is still considered a "fad" out here in the sticks) and putting up notices at the laundromat.

Talk to your local school, realtors, etc to see if you can get put on their "list" they maintain of specific providers for people new to the area.
Tags:providers, spots
Reply Up