Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Implement Minimum Number of Days?
MommyD 02:17 PM 09-23-2010
Hello all,

I need some advice...I interviewed a Mom-to-be in May, due in September. It went well, I would LOVE to have them as a family and they said that I was exactly what they were looking for. They were looking to start FT in the beginning of December or January. The next time we talked was June and she said she needed 1-2 days in February and FT mid March. Now in September she has had the baby and said she needed 2-3 days mid January to mid March and for sure FT beginning mid March. I asked her for more specific dates now that I should be having an opening around mid January and she should know when her and husband have to go back to work. She emailed me today and said she needs 1 day mid January through mid April and then FT after April 18th.

I only take in 3 kids, so this is a HUGE difference in income (we rely on my income as well as my husbands to pay bills, etc) from what she had originally said. I don't live in a very high demand area and I am newer, so I don't have many other options at this point.

I am just wondering what would you do? Would you tell her in order to "hold" the FT spot she needs to pay 2 or 3 days minimum?

My rates are 37/day or 170 for over 30 hours.

Thanks for any help!
Deanna
AfterSchoolMom 05:17 PM 09-23-2010
What if you charged her half rate to hold the spot? At least that would be $85 instead of $37. I'd do that, and then maybe give her the option to send her child two days instead of one until April. I'd say that's more than fair and generous, since she'd be taking a spot... I'd also consider getting a deposit, since they sound really wishy washy.
MommyD 06:19 PM 09-23-2010
That sounds fair, that is kind of what I was thinking. And I do take a deposit from families. Thanks you so much for your response! If anyone else has more to add, I would welcome it.
Lilbutterflie 07:27 PM 09-23-2010
To be honest, I'd be hesitant to make any deals with DCM at this point; she seems way to wishy-washy to me. I can foresee lots of issues with her in the future. I know you said you don't live in a high demand area, but you do have 3 months to try to fill your spot. Isn't it worth trying to find someone who needs FT care beginning in Jan, and maybe someone who doesn't seem so fickle?

I would maybe say something to her like "Well, I really need someone who needs FT care much sooner than April. If you can't commit to doing FT around February as you originally stated, I will have to look for someone else to fill the spot. If I am not able to fill the spot, I will let you know."
boysx5 02:58 AM 09-24-2010
I think part-time is always a big headache I have one now and I'm so sorry I agree to it. They are always looking for deals and I would look for a full time person while you have time. I have one child who comes four days a week and only pay for four days and now they want to drop to three days since the dads hours are changing and they will either have to pay for the four days or lose the fourth day if they ever need to go back to it. I like to know what I make each week and then if you let one family to that they all want to do it
MommyD 01:48 PM 09-28-2010
I just want to thank everyone for there input on this, Thank You!!

I ended up emailing the family and saying I could not make a commitment to them at this time, due to the "dwindling number of days needed".

I got a phone call from the dad, and I was expecting him to say, "what is going on?" But instead, he said, whatever I need, they will pay it, they don't want to lose the space!! Yay! Now, I just need to figure out what my "whatever I need" is.

Thank you again,
Deanna
Tags:holding spot, spots
Reply Up