Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Alternative to Thumbtacks?
midaycare 07:51 AM 10-06-2014
I have two cork bulletin boards - one is within reach of the kids. I have thibgs posted by thumbtacks but need to find a better solution, quick. The kids so far can't pull them out, but too much liability.

That sticky stuff didn't work, and I don't want a magnetic board. Kids will be moving stuff all day. I have enough manipulatively for them. This stuff needs to stay there. Any thoughts?
Thriftylady 08:30 AM 10-06-2014
Staples. Just swing your stapler open and staple away.
midaycare 08:52 AM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Staples. Just swing your stapler open and staple away.
I like it. Still possibility of them getting hurt, but not like with a tack. By the way, sorry about my grammar everyone. I'm too lazy to correct on this fine Monday morning
Thriftylady 08:55 AM 10-06-2014
It is what I do. The biggest danger I have found so far, is that if they get in the carpet they can hurt feet. I have my boards out of reach of little hands though. I have been thinking of putting one for the kids to do, so I will be watching this!
melilley 10:40 AM 10-06-2014
Masking tape. If you buy the right kind, it sticks very well!
My dd had that blue poster sticky stuff and it didn't work worth beans. Masking tape works well as long as whatever you are hanging isn't too heavy. Other than that, I use staples, but the kids can't reach my bulletin boards.
Cat Herder 12:39 PM 10-06-2014
Regs cut out push pins and staples.

I used yarn to make a grid over the existing cork boards, secured from behind. I clip artwork up with wooden laundry pins, now. If the kids get them, they pretend they are lego people. No harm, no foul.

I plan to cover the cork boards with sheet metal, overlay with pretty fabric, then use rolled double sided tape magnets next. I have not sourced the sheet metal yet... still thinking on it.

This image is stolen from bing... it represents the "ideal" clothespin doll IMO, mine did not turn out quite as nice, but I digress....
Attached: folkart,woodenpegpeople-2114e9a4bfbd55e20501f27a39936044_h.jpg (39.4 KB) 
melilley 12:45 PM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

I clip artwork up with wooden laundry pins, now. If the kids get them, they pretend they are lego people. No harm, no foul.
I thought about doing this!
I've seen people use old picture frames and put twine across with clothes pins. It looks really neat!

What/how do you put your laundry pins on?
melilley 12:46 PM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I thought about doing this!
I've seen people use old picture frames and put twine across with clothes pins. It looks really neat!

What/how do you put your laundry pins on?
Never mind. Did you edit your post? I didn't see an explanation before, or maybe I just misread it.?..
Cat Herder 12:47 PM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Never mind. Did you edit your post? I didn't see an explanation before..
Yes, I saw the obvious question as soon as I hit post....
melilley 12:48 PM 10-06-2014
Yes, I saw the obvious question as soon as I hit post....
Ahhhh, I thought I was going crazy...
midaycare 12:49 PM 10-06-2014

I used yarn to make a grid over the existing cork boards, secured from behind. I clip artwork up with wooden laundry pins, now. If the kids get them, they pretend they are lego people. No harm, no foul.

I plan to cover the cork boards with sheet metal, overlay with pretty fabric, then use rolled double sided tape magnets next. I have not sourced the sheet metal yet... still thinking on it.

This image is stolen from bing... it represents the "ideal" clothespin doll IMO, mine did not turn out quite as nice, but I digress....
Oh my word! You are one of those creative types!
AmyKidsCo 09:05 AM 10-07-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Oh my word! You are one of those creative types!
Lol!

I love Command strips/hangers. I use the poster hangers all over at the children's level to hang laminated pictures, and I don't care if they pull them down & carry them around because they can just put them back up again. I also use the sticky strips as tape because it sticks better but can be removed easily.
JoseyJo 09:14 AM 10-07-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Lol!

I love Command strips/hangers.
I second that one- that was gonna be my suggestion for places where the kiddos can reach. They are pretty pricy though. I use staples up higher.
Tags:arts and crafts - supplies, thumbtacks
Reply Up