Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Doing Daycare While Dealing with PPD
Puddleduck 04:43 AM 04-29-2016
Hi! I'm wondering if anyone here has dealt with postpartum depression while providing child care, and if so how they coped with it. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks!
mommyneedsadayoff 06:17 AM 04-29-2016
I did after my second child was born. My best advice is to take care of YOU! Eat really well, sleep as much as you can, exercise or walk daily, and let others help you and take their support! I didn't take care of myself and had what I would call a break down. I ended up taking an emergency week off (so did my husband) and he helped me get back on a good path, starting with 2 straight days of sleeping.

Again, just take care of yourself and don't disregard your feelings! It will only get better if you recognize the issue and take the moves to address it. If you have any questions or need anything, please let me know!
NightOwl 06:29 AM 04-29-2016
It's FANTASTIC that you recognize that you have it. That's a big first step. I agree with everything the pp said, in addition to getting medical or psychiatric help. There are mild drugs out there that can help you significantly. If you weren't caring for children, I might be inclined to say you could work through it yourself without any intervention, but that's not the case here. You have littles depending on you every day. I would definitely seek advice from your dr, in addition to taking care of yourself and getting lots of sleep.
Snowmom 06:30 AM 04-29-2016
First, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

I have had PPD. Twice.
The first time I didn't recognize it as postpartum and suffered through it for almost a year before being prescribed zoloft. It was the worst experience of my life and I'd rather give birth without meds 10 times over before dealing with that again.
The second time, I had a new (and extremely awesome) OB doctor and she was so helpful in signs, symptoms, diagnosis and alternative medicine options (which was what I wanted).

For me, the paranoia that something was going to happen to my children was what I had the toughest time dealing with. The medication (zoloft) DID help that.

The best advice I can give to you is to seek out a medical professional who you feel comfortable with and don't settle for one that doesn't deal with you as a whole (all of your wants and needs).

For me, I managed the second time with a very low dose of zoloft for the first few months, along with essential oils, vitamin D and eventually adding in 5HTTP supplement after breastfeeding was done.

As far as the daycare thing along with PPD; if possible, know your limitations. If you are feeling overwhelmed, take some time off for you. Enlist a helper to relieve you if you feel the stress is too much.
Decompress your emotions as much as you can (which requires loved ones to take the burden from you). Walks, jacuzzis and massages helped me decompress and let me tell you... I did it often! I actually purchased a year-long massage membership!
Good luck and if you need to talk, feel free to message me!
Controlled Chaos 11:32 AM 04-29-2016

I had it after my 3rd. I felt I couldn't tell anyone because I worried they would think I shouldn't be doing daycare.

I didn't handle it very well. What I wished I would have done - talk to my husband about it, confide in my MIL (she is incredibly kind and supportive). Lower the bar as far as daycare and chores goes. Sometimes feeling successful with just loving and feeding everyone is enough. Its a lot.

If you ever want to chat feel free to PM and I will give you my number. Or just texting check ins. One thing that kept me afloat through the worst few weeks was texting my best friend (she lived in another country but was a life line). It felt good saying I was having a dark day or moment. Admitting it and having someone tell me it didn't make me a bad person helped me.

yodaone 08:54 PM 04-29-2016
I can't speak to running a daycare while having PPD. But I'm here if you need anyone to talk to. Feel free to message me!
Puddleduck 05:12 AM 05-01-2016
Thank you all so much for your kind words and support!
I'm going to be making an appointment to get some help this week and I'm going to start asking for more help with the baby. Also going to try getting out at least one evening a week just for a walk, or just for some alone time.
Tags:anxiety, depression, postpartum depression, pregnancy, pregnancy - postpartum
Reply Up