Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Communications
CityGarden 01:41 PM 07-23-2018
Another thread today reminded me I need to decide on the best method for parent communications for my program this upcoming school year. I have found good communications cut down on parents trying to talk my ear off during drop off and pick up but I want a plan. My clients are helicopter parents and want/expect daily updates --- this is just the clientele, so I have to find a way to embrace it. I will be eligible to double my enrollment this Fall so I need to be sure whatever I start that I can sustain as the enrollment grows from six up to twelve dcks. My program is a home based preschool just part day.... ages 2-5.

I have been experimenting with two different parent communication methods:

Method #1 Daily Written Notes
(similar to this one in the image attached)
I can tell some of my parents love the reports - it gives them something to talk about with their child in the evening and they put it up on the fridge, etc. some ignore it and I find it just trash in the bottom of the lunch box the next day.... :roll eyes: It takes about 1 minute per dck to complete and about an additional 15-20 minutes a week to pre-fill (while I lesson plan)

Method #2 Class Shutterfly Share Site
I like the Shutterfly site a lot it has our calendar, photos, volunteer sign ups, wish list, etc. The big draw back I have found is that some days I am too busy to take photos during our actual activities and the Shutterfly Share Site is mostly structured for photo updates, which is what makes it so easy. I could add a blog/journal area to the Share Site documenting what we are actually doing (which would take 15 minutes or so a day). This would be less focused on "their" child and more on the group. I also wonder if parents will even log into the site to read a blog/journal if I take the time to write it....

I'm still debating between the two communication methods so right now it is a combo, nether has been a clear winner or loser. (The methods I have tried that do not work for me are Facebook Pages, Brightwheel, & Wordpress Blog)

What would you like as a parent? What would you offer as a provider in my shoes? Should I offer both? Any thoughts/advice?
Tags:communication - with parents, daily report sample
Up