Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pitbulls in Daycare
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
BC - are you pulling yer hair out trying to steer this thread back on it's course to nowhere yet??!

it's all good!
Michael 01:45 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Isn't that Spuds McKenzie? The dog they used to advertise Budweiser beer in the late 80ies?

Spuds' breed was also considered a Dogs of War since he was General Patton's side-kick and best friend (he didn't have many).

I have no problem with the Bull Terrier. It's the dogs with the really big jaw muscles that can be a problem if they decide to nip at you. No Locking jaw myth, but I bet it would sure feel like it.

Willow 02:15 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
Spuds' breed was also considered a Dogs of War since he was General Patton's side-kick and best friend (he didn't have many).

I have no problem with the Bull Terrier. It's the dogs with the really big jaw muscles that can be a problem if they decide to nip at you. No Locking jaw myth, but I bet it would sure feel like it.

Actually, there is no more muscling there than there is in an elderly woman's jowels.

"Pit bull type" dogs like Staffys have a wide berth as far as bite goes because the more surface area they could get in their mouth the better the grip they could keep.

If that wide berth really had anything to contribute strength wise there is no way the MUCH slighter snooted breeds like Malinois, German Shepherds and Rotties would be able to not only match but in most cases double or triple their psi.

My Pug has the same thing going on compared to my Miniature Pinscher....again, one regularly busts the bones of animals nearly as big as he is while the other has trouble gumming a piece of popcorn.
Brooksie 04:35 PM 11-06-2013
Just going to take a minute to do this:

http://bslnews.org/pit-bull-heroes-hall-of-fame/

http://saveabull.com/pitbull-heroes/
Brooksie 04:45 PM 11-06-2013
http://bslnews.org/2011/02/04/hero-s...from-attacker/

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/bosto...q/-/index.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/pit-...tential-rapist

Just take the time to look at some of these. Even read the captions. Amazing animals no less capable of loving people than any other canine.
Unregistered 04:38 AM 11-07-2013
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ranson-2680156
Brooksie 04:52 AM 11-07-2013
Tragic, but that's not even a Pit Bull...
Unregistered 05:09 AM 11-07-2013
...and actually the dog in the picture is not the dog that attacked her. This shows that we need to be careful with all animals in our daycare homes. I believe it was actually a bulldog mix that attacked her.

Bad news reporting on their part.
Brooksie 05:17 AM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
...and actually the dog in the picture is not the dog that attacked her. This shows that we need to be careful with all animals in our daycare homes. I believe it was actually a bulldog mix that attacked her.

Bad news reporting on their part.
It says French Mastiff. Not a bulldog mix and even if it was a bull dog mix that doesn't mean pit bull. Either way, I agree that we need to be careful with pets in our home. I keep my dogs separate from my daycare kids. But my point is that it has nothing to do with the Pit Bull breed, but that all dogs pets can be a danger and its about protecting your furry family members in general, not placing blame on a misunderstood breed.
sally 06:24 AM 11-07-2013
I have 2 dogs in my home and are around my dcks. When parents interview I tell them if thats a problem then this isn't the right place for them. My 1 dog is a middle aged shih poo and he has the best temperament. I also have a miniature schnauzer mixed with a little chihuahua. Very sweet loving dogs. All the kids love to cuddle up with my dogs and pet them during circle time and story time. The only problem we ever had was where a grandpa of one little 2 year old boy kicked his dog when the boy was visiting. I guess that made dc boy think it was ok to kick my dog. When he did my dog snapped at him. Left a red mark but did not break the skin. I immediately called his patents to find and found out that grandpa always kicks his dog and that they were ok with my dog snapping at him because they said he had to learn that the dog wouldn't put up with it. I worked very hard to teach dcb that it was never ok to kick an animal. That was a year ago and we've never had another problem with dcb or any other dcks
Willow 06:39 AM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by sally:
I have 2 dogs in my home and are around my dcks. When parents interview I tell them if thats a problem then this isn't the right place for them. My 1 dog is a middle aged shih poo and he has the best temperament. I also have a miniature schnauzer mixed with a little chihuahua. Very sweet loving dogs. All the kids love to cuddle up with my dogs and pet them during circle time and story time. The only problem we ever had was where a grandpa of one little 2 year old boy kicked his dog when the boy was visiting. I guess that made dc boy think it was ok to kick my dog. When he did my dog snapped at him. Left a red mark but did not break the skin. I immediately called his patents to find and found out that grandpa always kicks his dog and that they were ok with my dog snapping at him because they said he had to learn that the dog wouldn't put up with it. I worked very hard to teach dcb that it was never ok to kick an animal. That was a year ago and we've never had another problem with dcb or any other dcks
Yet. You've never had another problem, YET.

Just so you are aware, if your dog bites another child you, even for awesomely good reason like its being hurt by a child and merely defending itself, you can and likely will be one of those cases where you are sued for everything you've got and the dog WILL lose its life.

That you are knowingly keeping a dog with a bite history in amongst your daycare children is so beyond dangerous and reckless there aren't even words for it...........please reconsider what you're doing here. It's one thing if a provider can claim in defense that their dog had no history of aggressive behavior, but you cannot.

A snap is something a dog does at the air as a warning. There is no contact. Your dog BIT a child in your care. There's a big difference.

I would have been required by law to report that to licensing at the very least, did you have to do that?
Leanna 06:41 AM 11-07-2013
This is the thread that never ends
It goes on and on my frieeeeeend
Someone started typing not knowing what is was...

Sorry. Ahem. Back to business ladies and gents.
Tags:pets in daycare, pit bull
1 2
Reply Up