Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sun and Silence for Naptime?
Unregistered 03:53 PM 10-01-2018
I just started in a new daycare today. Things were a little chaotic during lunch and naptime (2 year old class). I saw a CD player in the room and found a classical music CD which I put on.

Apparently, the "state" (NJ) has suddenly said that there is NO music allowed during naptime. The children must sleep with the background noise of all the other classrooms, visitors coming and going, etc. (The school has half walls separating classrooms, so it's pretty much an open floor plan for the entire school when it comes to noise).

And the blinds must be left up at all times. We're not allowed to do anything to make the room darker to help transition the kids from wake time to naptime.

Now, the kids DID eventually fall asleep, but they probably would have fallen asleep faster/easier if the room was set up for relaxation/naptime.

Anyone else make their kids sleep in a bright, sunny room with no background music or white noise?
Unregistered 04:05 PM 10-01-2018
What? That is crazy.
For our naptime I turn on lullabies and close the curtains. The only light we have come in is through our french doors. I would think the kiddos would get used to sleeping like that, but it still seems unreasonable.
Bluemoon5 04:13 PM 10-01-2018
I'm in NJ too. I have yet to hear the "no music" naptime rule, but if that's going around I'm not looking forward to it. My kids right now wake to the slightest noise, and several wake crying. We were told we have to keep the blinds over the outside door open to have a "line of sight" to the playground. We're allowed to close the blinds over the window, though.
hwichlaz 04:36 PM 10-01-2018
I'd ask to see the actual reg.
daycarediva 05:17 PM 10-01-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I'd ask to see the actual reg.
This. My former registrar was "loose" with the regs. Don't be afraid to look them up and/or get clarification.

Our regs specify that while visual electronic media is not allowed, auditory media is. For the 3+ crowd, I do books on CD. For under 3's, nursery rhymes or lullabies.

If you cannot use ANY music, can you do white noise? Fans? read books to relax them?

As far as light goes, can you turn the lights off? put colored/translucent paper up?
Bluemoon5 06:16 PM 10-01-2018
I could not find anything in our regs about noise or lighting during nap. It's all about ratios and sleep surfaces and all that. On the state website under the Division of Early Childhood Education it says "the naptime environment should be calming with soft music and dim lights."
Michael 08:12 PM 10-01-2018
Nothing regarding music as a naptime distraction: https://www.daycare.com/newjersey/ne...standards.html
Unregistered 03:59 AM 10-02-2018
Nope. We have blinds, but they have to be kept open at all times. (The classroom faces a major highway, so keeping a visual on the playground is a non-issue).

For some reason, the state gets blamed for everything. I knew there was no actual state regulation in place.
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 10-02-2018
My kiddos nap in a fairly light/sunny room. I don't make any special arrangements or adjustments due to rest time.

I play audio books on the CD player but that isn't always restricted to only rest time.

My daycare house is fairly small (less than 1000 sq ft total) and while the kids are resting I vacuum and take care of any other household things that need doing. I sometimes have visitors (licensor, food program rep, QRIS coach etc) and the kids still rest without issue.

I don't know..... I don't think there has to be one right or wrong way for rest/nap time. It's whatever works at the time.

Personally, I think trying to get a room full of toddlers in a center to nap would be tough no matter what the circumstances.
sharlan 07:49 AM 10-02-2018
My kids sleep in a fairly dark room and I play a soft music CD for them. They do sleep better since I started the cd.

Both are co-sleepers at home and are very light sleepers.
Unregistered 10:21 AM 10-02-2018
Apparently, this is a Grow NJ Kids regulation. There's NO transition between lunch and nap. The room is completely chaotic. We can't set up cots until the children are done eating and up from the table- which means we need to get everything done before the kids destroy the classroom again. Every other place I've been at, nap mats were out. After lunch, kids got cleaned up and went onto their mats. If it was still early, kids were allowed to look at books or play quietly on their mats. Then, when the schedule permitted, the lights would go out. The kids knew to stay on their mats when the lights were out.

Before lunch, we'd play Laurie Berkner Band action songs, "Baby Shark", and other high energy dancing music to get the kids up and moving.

During lunch, we'd switch the music to classic Disney, nursery rhymes, and soft/lullabye music with lyrics to help the kids settle.

After lunch, we'd transition the music to instrumental music- usually piano lullabies or lullaby covers of popular songs. Occasionally, to settle them initially, I'd play "Weightless" by Marconi Union since that song was actually developed by scientists to help people sleep.

Going from active music to soft, relaxing music definitely helped- even if the music wasn't constant. (ie: once the children were eating quietly, the music was turned down or off completely).I'm a firm believer in using music for transitions- especially transitioning between playtime, lunch, and naptime.
Bluemoon5 10:37 AM 10-02-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Nope. We have blinds, but they have to be kept open at all times. (The classroom faces a major highway, so keeping a visual on the playground is a non-issue).
From my understanding it was not so much about the playground as it was about seeing outside in case of "intruders." Yes, I have nothing better to do during nap time than to peer outside to see if someone managed to get into the fenced, gated, and alarmed playground. But if someone does, it's nice to know they'll be able to look inside at us.
BrynleeJean 12:14 PM 10-02-2018
wow,
no I'm allowed to use CDs here in my state but i haven't been lately and maybe what i do can help you?
I use a fan recently as my white noise, a big like box fan wind machine. its not that loud but its more so the drone like hum I'm going for to lull them to sleep and more than that it the habit, its lunch then changing then story and as soon as i turn on that fan its lights out and its working for me

if i couldn't use music of this box fan id use habits
Unregistered 03:48 PM 10-02-2018
Originally Posted by Bluemoon5:
From my understanding it was not so much about the playground as it was about seeing outside in case of "intruders." Yes, I have nothing better to do during nap time than to peer outside to see if someone managed to get into the fenced, gated, and alarmed playground. But if someone does, it's nice to know they'll be able to look inside at us.
Well, if an intruder comes in, they'll have to come in the front door which means my back'll be turned to them because the windows are facing the back of the building. (Our daycare is behind a small strip mall).

We're also not allowed to play music during playtime which is driving me crazy.

There are also no art projects. No structured/scheduled activities. No transition times/routines. Nothing. None of it's allowed which makes the room chaotic the entire time and there's nothing I can do to keep things under control.
hwichlaz 07:42 PM 10-02-2018
Well, if an intruder comes in, they'll have to come in the front door which means my back'll be turned to them because the windows are facing the back of the building. (Our daycare is behind a small strip mall).

There are also no art projects. No structured/scheduled activities. No transition times/routines. Nothing. None of it's allowed which makes the room chaotic the entire time and there's nothing I can do to keep things under control.
It sounds like intentional teaching and developmentally appropriate practice are not allowed, so I'd be looking for another job.
Mad_Pistachio 07:58 AM 10-03-2018

is this also blamed on licensing?
I can echo hwichlaz: look for another job.
Bluemoon5 10:37 AM 10-03-2018

Yeah, we're not supposed to have "background" music on either, just during music time. But I have a bit of a hard time following rules that aren't explained/ don't make sense. Officially of course, I follow ALL the rules ALL the time. In reality, I do what I have found works best for my kids. Not that I'm advising you to break the rules.

Is the no art thing, no art at all? Or just no product art? Can they do open ended coloring and such? The no structure, routine, transitions, would drive me nuts and I can't imagine working under those conditions knowing it's not developmentally appropriate. I third the looking for something else.
Unregistered 11:17 AM 10-03-2018
I'm not sure what the music policy is. One teacher plays music on her phone and it's not a problem, but when I put on music, I'm told (by the SAME teacher) that it's against the rules. So, I asked for clarification since I'm getting conflicting messages from her.

"Don't argue with me. I'm just telling you what the rules are."

I can understand not having CONSTANT background music, but background music can be useful for transitions. Soft background music for 5-10 minutes [depending on the group] can help the kids transition from active playtime to a quiet activity. Playing the same few songs as a naptime routine can help the children settle and go to sleep. I'm used to having certain songs that I can play when the kids are getting a little crazy to capture their attention. Each group has a different song that works for them. In one class, it was "These are my Glasses"by Laurie Berkner. In another, it was "Elmo's World."

All I know is that I haven't seen any art projects whatsoever. There are no art materials in the classroom- not even crayons and scrap paper. If it's anything like my mom's former GrowNJKids center,art projects are not allowed until preschool because infants and toddlers don't "understand" them. [Even though they can still benefit from the sensory experience in process art].

If they were any looser in their lack of schedule/routine, the children would all eat lunch/snack when they wanted and their mats would be available when they choose to rest (which means there will be kids who never sleep because many toddlers won't go down for a nap voluntarily no matter how tired they are).

I'm definitely looking for something else- preferably not in childcare.
Tags:new jersey, new jersey - regulations
Reply Up