Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd?
Unregistered 07:28 AM 05-01-2014
I am logged out for privacy. I am looking for opinions from other providers and trying to gauge whether I am overreacting. Here's the deets.

This entire region of our state has been rearranged and most providers now have new licensors. I am bummed because I really liked my last licensor. She was the ultimate professional and mentor-type person. For the last month, whenever I have a question or an issue I have been contacting the new licensor by email. My old licensor would always reply to me within a short period of time, and she would sometimes even call me. The new one, IF she responds at all, sends a reply back that is so short as to seem computer generated. I do not like this at all, as I am big on communication. Most of my emails to her have gone unanswered. This is where I have a real problem.

Now here's the issue. A month ago I sent in my license continuation packet. Complete. My old license expired yesterday. I have been sending emails to the licensor saying that I haven't heard anything, etc. and asking when I should expect to receive the new license in the mail. NO response. Today and tomorrow I am scheduled with three children, which falls within legally unlicensed in our state. But I am pi$$ed that I haven't heard anything at all. The new license should be posted on my board TODAY.

WWYD? I hate to start off on the wrong foot with a new licensor but I'm ready to call and complain. I typed up another email to send her that basically said that since I still have not heard anything from her, I am operating with only three children. But I didn't send it.
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am logged out for privacy. I am looking for opinions from other providers and trying to gauge whether I am overreacting. Here's the deets.

This entire region of our state has been rearranged and most providers now have new licensors. I am bummed because I really liked my last licensor. She was the ultimate professional and mentor-type person. For the last month, whenever I have a question or an issue I have been contacting the new licensor by email. My old licensor would always reply to me within a short period of time, and she would sometimes even call me. The new one, IF she responds at all, sends a reply back that is so short as to seem computer generated. I do not like this at all, as I am big on communication. Most of my emails to her have gone unanswered. This is where I have a real problem.

Now here's the issue. A month ago I sent in my license continuation packet. Complete. My old license expired yesterday. I have been sending emails to the licensor saying that I haven't heard anything, etc. and asking when I should expect to receive the new license in the mail. NO response. Today and tomorrow I am scheduled with three children, which falls within legally unlicensed in our state. But I am pi$$ed that I haven't heard anything at all. The new license should be posted on my board TODAY.

WWYD? I hate to start off on the wrong foot with a new licensor but I'm ready to call and complain. I typed up another email to send her that basically said that since I still have not heard anything from her, I am operating with only three children. But I didn't send it.
Do you by chance have your old licensor's contact info still?

Perhaps you could at least call her and ask what you should or can do in this situation. Since she is still working for the same state, she should still have answers.

I'm sorry your new licensor is not as great as your old one..... Licensors bridge the gap between providers and the state and if your licensor is less than acceptable, it makes this job really hard.
Unregistered 07:38 AM 05-01-2014
Yes, I do. I am sure that if I emailed her she'd get right back to me. I don't know what her new assignment entails or how busy she is, so I've hesitated to contact her, but you're probably right. My other option would be to call the department and ask for the supervisor. ?

Licensors DO bridge the gap, and I have been so fortunate. Most local providers think our old licensor was a nazi, but I loved her.
spinnymarie 07:39 AM 05-01-2014
How long do they say it normally takes? Our licensing tells us 6 weeks to 90 days to complete.
However, I would call and ask whoever answers what to do in this situation.
morgan24 07:40 AM 05-01-2014
It probably depends on how strict your state. I would think that since you have done everything on your end that you are okay to still have kids. You have your emails checking on it.

I'm in Michigan and I moved in August. We aren't suppose to have kids without our license but I had everything sent in before I moved and they left my old license open and never got to me until March. They knew I had kids the entire time.

I agree you don't want to start off on the wrong foot with your licensor but can you call someone higher up to check on your status?
Unregistered 07:49 AM 05-01-2014
Our state says 30 days for license continuation. Maybe they are backlogged with so many people being reassigned.
KiddieCahoots 07:59 AM 05-01-2014
I had something similar happen to me.
I was relicensing. Because there were a shortage of licensors at the time, my licensor couldn't make it before my license expired. I actually had the relicense appointment 2 weeks after my license expired.
I just kept trying to make contact with the licensor, until she called me back and I asked for written confirmation of this to, if anything, make myself feel at ease.
Reply Up