Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>14 Months Old Biting
clep 10:50 AM 10-02-2012
I have a little 14 month old guy who keeps biting other children. His sister used to be a biter when she was about 2. Both children seem to require oral pressure when they have an overwhelming feeling, positive or negative. The little girl still clenches her teeth when she has strong feelings. I am noticing his

I am concerned that this issue will go on for quite a while as he is so young and his learning curve much longer. It is not feasible to shadow him daily for the next six months as that will hinder care of the other children. I am all for shadowing, but not to this extent. He is leaving marks on the other children, and on one boy in particular.

The mother is horrified she has another biter. She has great boundaries with her children and will do whatever she can to ensure this behavior stops. The parents are amazing as are the children.

Any ideas at this young age with biting, especially when it is not due to anger and can come out of no where at any given time?
rhymia1 11:19 AM 10-02-2012
I have a large play yard for this purpose. It's a safe spot for child to play when I can't be between him and others. I try to give the child ways to get the bite out, by providing teething toys, wet washcloths, etc. and encourage him to chomp on them.
I feel for you, how exhausting!
NeedaVaca 12:37 PM 10-02-2012
Suggest to the mom that she buy a chewy tube. There are several different kinds, some tubes, some are cloth and can be shaped as animals. They can clip on the the child or go around the neck and help with children that have this problem. Google it and you will see what I'm talking about, they are great for kids with this type of sensory issue
clep 09:19 AM 10-04-2012
Originally Posted by brtracey:
Suggest to the mom that she buy a chewy tube. There are several different kinds, some tubes, some are cloth and can be shaped as animals. They can clip on the the child or go around the neck and help with children that have this problem. Google it and you will see what I'm talking about, they are great for kids with this type of sensory issue
Fantastic. I let her know yesterday on the way out. Just didn't have a moment to say thanks!!! He bit another girl quite hard this morning so I hope she get's it soon.
JennyBear 11:11 AM 10-04-2012
I would also suggest the play yard with some toys in it. If child bites (especially other children/people) out he goes into the play yard for a bit to play by himself. That way he is safe, and so are others and you do not have to shadow him to the extent.

Maybe even a special teething/chewing toy for him to help with this?

I've never had a biter so I don't speak from experience. However, I do know of other providers that use this tactic and it seems to work well.

Good luck!
Tags:14 month old, biting, biting in daycare
Reply Up