Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Underwear Boy Bringing Out The Hulk In Me

I feel horrible which is why i am not logging in. I have a little two year old boy who comes three days a week for three hours each day. His momma told me last week he is peeing in the potty now on his own, and he will tell you when he needs to go. So she is bringing him in underwear and a change of clothes. Well last week and yesterday were fine, he didnt need to go and didnt have any accidents. Then this afternoon he comes out from playing in my boys room and I notice his pants are soaked, down his legs, even his socks. She mentioned if he is playing hard he would do that, but seriously. I already have four other kids here i cannot focus on just the one two year old who is wearing underwear. The other two, two year olds have diapers, but we are working on getting the trained.

Anyway to the point. I lost it on the kid, poor little boy is already emotional disturbed and only repeats words at this point when you talk to him. I guess i just wasnt ready for it, i felt like i went Hulk on him if that helps. Anyway i put a change of pants on him and a diaper because i do not want that happening again today. His mother only pays me 15$ a day for the three days i do watch him out of the week so, my bank account is in the red today because the payements didnt go through with the bank closed yesterday. So i guess im over stressed today. I think i need to tell this parent i cannot watch her son anymore. I feel so terrible.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Well honestly it's not his fault he peed and its not his fault how much you get paid. I understand that you can't give your full attention to one when you have others but you can ask him every so often if he needs to pee. It's part of your job. I think you need to probably gather yourself next time and understand on his level. You mentioned you had two others that were almost potty training so I think this is something you're going to face a lot coming up. If you feel that you need to quit him because of this then do so but potty training does come with the territory. Maybe only watch children up to 2?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

I feel like I have gone " hulk " lately too.

I love that analogy, and will use it to help myself approach behavior issues in a more positive manner. I may have to post on my cupboard "Don't go Hulk" or "Avoid the Hulk!"

The best teachers and providers self reflect when things go wrong and they make some changes. I say it's a good thing you are concerned about how you handled the situation. I know after my last hulk episode I made big changes on how I approach challenging behavior.

Hang in there....spring is almost here!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Daycare.com Member

did you have him go potty right before you took them outdoors? It is very common fo accidents outdoors for newly trained . Tomorrow will be better get some sleep .
Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I have a policy that during potty training children must go 2 weeks without a wet pull up including during nap before they can switch to underwear. Then if they have 2 potty accidents it's back to pull ups for 2 weeks again. I don't let parents decide when to use underwear because its a sanitary issue when you have multiple children to allow several accidents per child per week. Maybe it would be helpful to initiate a policy that is similar?

Everyone loses it sometimes, forgive yourself, apologize to the boy and move on. Try to find ways that you can decrease your stress, ask for more payment if you are feeling like you're being underpaid.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Daycare.com member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansmom View Post
I have a policy that during potty training children must go 2 weeks without a wet pull up including during nap before they can switch to underwear. Then if they have 2 potty accidents it's back to pull ups for 2 weeks again. I don't let parents decide when to use underwear because its a sanitary issue when you have multiple children to allow several accidents per child per week. Maybe it would be helpful to initiate a policy that is similar?

Everyone loses it sometimes, forgive yourself, apologize to the boy and move on. Try to find ways that you can decrease your stress, ask for more payment if you are feeling like you're being underpaid.

We do exactly this, that way the accidents aren't a problem. I don't think I should be expected to clean up frequent accidents from a child who isn't fully ready to be trained.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I dont get it.....why are you wanting to term them? why not give a chance for solutions? have mom send the boy in a pull up OR put a pull up on over his underwear when he gets to daycare. He can still feel wetness but has some waterproof protection. Let his mom know that you are raising your part time rates to X amount beginning on X date and let her decide what to do. she may end up paying it!

Tags
None