Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dog is a Liability?!?!
akpayne 06:54 AM 04-18-2012
I am very disappointed! DCM just called and cancelled our second interview! The first one went great, she loved me and I really liked her. Was suppose to meet her twins who are the same age as my son and my other DCK and everything seemed perfect, Id have all my spots full. DCM cancelled because they were at her parents house and DCG was terrified of the dog. Now everytime they say the word dog she cries. My dog is wonderful. She loves kids and the kids love her. She has never been an issue before. Its upsetting to me that Ive now lost this family because of my dog and makes me worry about this happening again in the future. I really need to fill my last couple spots and this seemed so perfect

Does anyone else have a dog and has it affected your daycare positively or negatively in anyway?
SilverSabre25 06:58 AM 04-18-2012
Honestly...I would think that they are using the dog as a thinly veiled excuse to cancel. They probably found cheaper care or something.
Country Kids 07:16 AM 04-18-2012
Something doesn't sound right. They were at the grandparents house and she was scared of the dog. Was it a new dog they had just gotten. If they have had it and all of a sudden she is scared of it did it do something to her? HHHHMMMM, there just isn't something right.
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:45 AM 04-18-2012
I have a dog. She is an American Pitt Bull Terrier or a Staffordshire Terrier as some people prefer to call them.

Anyway all of my parents and people who come for interviews know what breed she is and if they dont like it, well go find someone else.

My dog has been raised from a puppy by me and has been around babies and children all her life.

Some people choose to raise these dogs to be mean and thats why they have a bad rep.

They only negative part is that her bark sounds ferocious and she gets excited to see who is here every day. (bad front door manners) so I have to either put her outside or in my office when people arrive for drop off and pick up or she just licks everyone to death!

This is what she looks like.
Attached: 2012 050.jpg (84.4 KB) 
wahmof3 07:48 AM 04-18-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Honestly...I would think that they are using the dog as a thinly veiled excuse to cancel. They probably found cheaper care or something.
I would agree with this, however, I have a friend who was supposed to use me to cover for her provider's vacation. Her dd then in preschool is HORRIFIED of dogs. She never had a bad experience with a dog and they have one but for some strange reason she is totally scared. My friend brought her over to my house prior to caring for her for the week and she would've climbed into her mom's body if she could. Total death grip!!! She didn't come here for the week needed. There could be some truth to it.

She is the only one I had in almost 6 years to be scared of my dog. Odd's are they probably did find cheaper, but you never know.

Sorry that you didn't get the family, that stinks.
saved4always 07:51 AM 04-18-2012
I have 2 dogs but they have never affected my daycare that I know of. Most of my families had dogs of their own so they did not even question about the dogs. For those who did not have pets, I let them know that I have no problem keeping my dogs away from the kids during daycare hours. I have had a couple kids that would get upset when the one dog would howl at pick up (for some reason he only did that at pick up, not any other part of the day), but it did not bother the parents since the dog was gated in another area. It was just annoying noise, no contact.

My own son who is now 17 used to be terrified of dogs when he was around 2 yo. I would never have chosen a daycare for him at that time if there was a dog. He would have been miserable. He would flip out when we would be walking in our neighborhood and we would see a dog. I would have to take him out of the stroller and carry him past because he would be so upset. We were house shopping around that time and he refused to go into one of the houses for sale because there was a dog STATUE in the foyer. It was really weird... he had never had a bad experience with a dog but he was so afraid. A couple years later, he was fine with dogs and we got our first dog when he was 5. No problem since. Must have been a weird fear stage.
meganlavonnesmommy 08:13 AM 04-18-2012
I've had families that picked me, in part, BECAUSE I had a dog. Their kids loved animals, and they wanted a home with animals.

But I know kids who are terrified of dogs, and wouldnt do well in a home with them.

I know you are dissapointed, and needed to fill your slots. But sounds like it wasnt a good fit. The child would be miserable around your dog, and you would go crazy dealing with him being miserable.

If you have the ability, you could always keep the dog in a seperate area during the day, away from the daycare kids. Not sure if that is an option or not.
countrymom 08:21 AM 04-18-2012
if I was looking for care, I wouldn't want my kids around a dog. I have a dd that is horrified of dogs (only big ones) but I've seen way too many times dogs jumping on kids and dogs licking kids faces, I just wouldn't want to expose my kids to that.
GretasLittleFriends 08:45 AM 04-18-2012
When people call for an interview I disclose that we have 2 1/2 dogs, and two cats that think they are dogs. Our large dog (70lb Collie) is an outside dog, as the two cats are also outside (barn) cats. That leaves us 1 1/2 dogs in the house. I say 1/2 because we have 2 schnauzers and 1 travels with my husband, so she is only home 1/2 the time. Now, in her older age (she's 12.5) she is all but completely blind and missing most of her teeth.

I had one interview where I was going over my contract, and was discussing the pets. It was almost on queue that I said our Collie is an outside only dog only to have him show up in our kitchen to the dog dish as if he belonged there. Someone didn't shut the door tight, and he pushed it open. I was mortified, the prospective parents laughed. I excused myself to send him back outside. That DCB has been with me going on 3 years.

I have had people call and go through a partial phone interview and find out I have pets and chose not to bring their children here. I am ok with that. It is their decision.
seebachers 09:07 AM 04-18-2012
yep....i always disclose that I have 2 cats and a dog in the phone interview and that my dog (although a soccer ball on toothpicks) is quite the barker. She has been around kids her whole life and never had a problem. I have only had one family that didn't enroll because she barks too much. Of course, it is only until the parents leave and then she is this calm little lady of leisure. I put her in my daughter's room when arrivals and departures come and that eliminates most of the problem.

So I guess what I am saying is that yes, it can be a liability at times, but it really is no skin off my nose. Oh and btw....I always provide a copy of my animals vacinations to each of the parents so that they know they are healthy as well.
CheekyChick 09:11 AM 04-18-2012
From my experience, many children (and parents) are afraid of dogs and so I took mine out of the equation so it wouldn't be an issue. My dog stays in a back room with access to an enclosed outdoor dog run during DC hours so that solved the problem.
Breezy 09:20 AM 04-18-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
I have a dog. She is an American Pitt Bull Terrier or a Staffordshire Terrier as some people prefer to call them.

Anyway all of my parents and people who come for interviews know what breed she is and if they dont like it, well go find someone else.

My dog has been raised from a puppy by me and has been around babies and children all her life.

Some people choose to raise these dogs to be mean and thats why they have a bad rep.

They only negative part is that her bark sounds ferocious and she gets excited to see who is here every day. (bad front door manners) so I have to either put her outside or in my office when people arrive for drop off and pick up or she just licks everyone to death!

This is what she looks like.
I have a pitty too! She has been here since she was a baby and she too would lick ya to death. She does have a scary bark and I love it because she barks only when there are strangers around. My german shep mix barks at everything so when my pitty is barking I know it is something I should listen to.
MizzCheryl 09:27 AM 04-18-2012
I keep my dog away from the kids. She is a great dog but the kids are sometimes too rough with her and she has gotten older and would rather lay around in the living room away from the kiddies. \Sounds like an excuse to me.
Crazy8 10:02 AM 04-18-2012
my dog passed away last year but we had him for the first 9-10 years I was doing daycare. Like everyone else said, some people probably didn't choose me because I had a dog (a giant lab!) and others loved him. Some loved that their child was exposed to a pet but they didn't have to have one in their own house, LOL!

Child could be terrified of dogs, or it could be an excuse, either way I wouldn't worry about it and would just move on. I never had an issue staying full while I had my dog - I have more of a problem now in this economy!
akpayne 11:05 AM 04-18-2012
thanks everyone! i was pretty disappointed but see it probbaly wouldnt have been a good fit. No matter how good with kids my dog is, if shes afraid its not gonna matter. Glad to hear lots of people have great responses about their dog! Ill just keep advertising, I have 2 moe interviews as well so hopefully itll all work out
cheerfuldom 11:47 AM 04-18-2012
I have had parents love the fact that we have a small dog and others, the dog is a deal breaker.
Zoe 11:54 AM 04-18-2012
I've said it before and I'll say it again...with my 3 dogs (two black labs and a pomeranian), if you aren't a dog lover, then you won't be a good fit here. The dogs are a part of the daycare (supervised of course) and they will continue to be. This is their home. I respect if someone has a fear of dogs, it hasn't affected my daycare that I know of. All the families I have love that I'm such an animal lover and it teaches all the kiddos how to properly treat a dog, both large and small.

I'm sorry you lost a family because of it, but they aren't all like that and you will find someone who doesn't mind at all!
wdmmom 12:25 PM 04-18-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I'm with Sabre on this one.

I'd be willing to bet it doesn't have squat to do with your dog or any dog for that matter. Does this mean she's going to stop taking her daughter to her grandparents house because they have a dog?!?! Probably not.

Sounds to me like an easy way to flake on you. I'd bet they found cheaper care or found a family member to do it for free.
Texasjeepgirl 12:35 PM 04-18-2012
I actually have 4 dogs...
Maggie Mae is a black female Scottish Terrier...
and Rubi May is a female Yorkshire Terrier... William Wallace McGregor ... 'Liberator of the Scotts'...(Will for short)...is a neutered male Yorkshire Terrier... and Nicholas the Great... Ruler of the Russians... (Nick.. or 'crazy' for short)....
As far as I know... I've never lost a potential client over my dogs...

BUT... My dogs are kept seperate from my daycare...
They stay in the kitchen... and.. although the kitchen is part of the daycare room.. it is seperated by a counter top.. and a gate across the walk through opening... the dogs are NEVER allowed in my daycare room... even after hours...because Will and Nick are boys and will lift their leg on ANYTHING.....
The outside area is seperated for the dogs...daycare children are never allowed inside this area... although it is adjacent to the daycare playground...
The daycare children and parents SEE my dogs.. and they for sure HEAR them... Nick is a fruitcake...barks all the time...
BUT...my dogs are off limits for daycare children and parents... Nick is barely 4 lbs... Rubi and Will are both just barely over 5 lbs... so frankly..I don't want anyone except immediate family to pick them up...
I make this clear to all clients..

I also have 2 inside family cats...they live in my daughters room and the attached storage room and laundry room... they are allowed out in the daycare room after hours ONLY...and 1 outside family cat... she is mostly around on the property...but if she does come up to the daycare area... the kids and parents love her... she is super sweet...

We also have 2 guinea pigs that live in a 6 room guinea pig condo.. in the daycare room... the kids LOVE them... 'Jorge and Furry Murry...
And... we have a long haired black Angora rabbit... Peter Rabbit... that lives in a large 2 part cage.. out in the daycare playground...

I have been told by many clients that they like the fact that I have pets... but that they also like the fact that the dogs are kept seperate...because of their size... the fear of a child picking them up and dropping them...

I suppose there may be a possibility that someone has passed over me as a caregiver.. if their child had allergies to animals...but... honestly.. if that has happened... I'm not aware of it...

www.texasjeepgirl.shutterfly.com

www.tammyschildcare.com

texascare 12:46 PM 04-18-2012
Anything can be a liability but ask yourself if YOU were looking at daycare would dogs bother you? I, like Texasjeepgirl (and I am in Texas too) have 4 dogs. 2 large, 2 small. One barks at ALL men who walk in this house. On the other hand he licks all the women. --of course they hang over the gate to pat him. For me, i have gates set up so that they can not enter into the daycare areas. However the one that barks at men can see the parents coming in to drop or pick up. I figure you are either a dog person or not. Anything can happen with any animal at any given time. So maybe it was a deal breaker or maybe not. I personally keep the animals away from the kids just in case. Don't beat yourself up over it, I am sure other families will come along. I have had parents not choose me becasue I have teenage biys...So its crazy what parents can come up with.....
AnythingsPossible 12:49 PM 04-18-2012
In 10 years, I have had 3 or 4 families that didn't choose our daycare because of the dogs. I always tell people on the phone so if they aren't comfortable with animals, we don't waste either of our time with an interview.
Frizzled 01:23 PM 04-18-2012
We have 3 dogs and 2 cats. The only time I had a family not enroll is because of a cat allergy. The dogs I keep in a room or outside in a outdoor kennel most of the day just because 3 babies and 3 dogs is just too much. My dogs are all bigger too, (time to brag about my puppies) a hound/lab mix who weighs 75 pounds, a Australian shepherd who weighs 45 pounds, and a Aussie cattle dog mix who weigh 35 pounds. Most of my families either have dogs or dont mind the kids contacting the dogs. I can see where if someone was afraid of dogs they would steer clear of my daycare.
KBCsMommy 01:35 PM 04-18-2012
I lost one family ( I actually terminated care) because I have a Mastiff.

The dad claimed my dog was next to the pit bull in being aggressive and attacking people. It was such an ignorant statement by him I terminated care immediately.

If a family is not comfortable with my animals Mastiff, black cat, and a cow colored bunny. They are not welcome in my daycare.

I wouldn't take a family either even if parents were ok with my dog, but the child is terrified, it would never work out.

I am always upfront with people when they call interested in my daycare. I always tell them I have a very large dog who is kept seperate by baby gates in the house, a cat with free range of the house and a bunny with free range of the backyard. I'm sure it has changed peoples mind about my daycare, but oh well. All of my dc families have 2+ dogs and other animals.

You would be amazed at all the children who are more terrified of my bunny, than my 200 lb Mastiff!!
wahmof3 03:00 PM 04-18-2012
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
I lost one family ( I actually terminated care) because I have a Mastiff.

The dad claimed my dog was next to the pit bull in being aggressive and attacking people. It was such an ignorant statement by him I terminated care immediately.

If a family is not comfortable with my animals Mastiff, black cat, and a cow colored bunny. They are not welcome in my daycare.

I wouldn't take a family either even if parents were ok with my dog, but the child is terrified, it would never work out.

I am always upfront with people when they call interested in my daycare. I always tell them I have a very large dog who is kept seperate by baby gates in the house, a cat with free range of the house and a bunny with free range of the backyard. I'm sure it has changed peoples mind about my daycare, but oh well. All of my dc families have 2+ dogs and other animals.

You would be amazed at all the children who are more terrified of my bunny, than my 200 lb Mastiff!!
Good for you!! We have a doberman who is known by his hugs (he wraps his head around your hip & just stands there too cute) & if someone made a comment like that to me I would've done the same thing.
Texasjeepgirl 06:49 AM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by texascare:
Anything can be a liability but ask yourself if YOU were looking at daycare would dogs bother you? I, like Texasjeepgirl (and I am in Texas too) have 4 dogs. 2 large, 2 small. One barks at ALL men who walk in this house. On the other hand he licks all the women. --of course they hang over the gate to pat him. For me, i have gates set up so that they can not enter into the daycare areas. However the one that barks at men can see the parents coming in to drop or pick up. I figure you are either a dog person or not. Anything can happen with any animal at any given time. So maybe it was a deal breaker or maybe not. I personally keep the animals away from the kids just in case. Don't beat yourself up over it, I am sure other families will come along. I have had parents not choose me becasue I have teenage biys...So its crazy what parents can come up with.....

My Scottish Terrier (female) is also freaked out by men.. ... I have no clue why... we've had that dog since she was 3 months old... she is 'mostly' accustomed to all the regular dad's that pick up...most of the time...but...anytime we have people over... the men... no way... she wigs OUT!!!! Nick.. the tiny Yorkie...well...he barks at everything... loud noises... the vacuum cleaner... the cats... Peter Rabbit ... hopping in his cage... his own shadow...... and possibly the voices in his head.... BUT...he's so darn PRETTY...I haven't had the heart to strangle him yet...
Texasjeepgirl 06:58 AM 04-19-2012
I have no idea how to insert pics in here... (someone is going to have to teach me)... but...

http://texasjeepgirl.shutterfly.com/pictures/66

http://texasjeepgirl.shutterfly.com/pictures/66#56

http://texasjeepgirl.shutterfly.com/pictures/66#52
jenny31052 08:45 PM 04-19-2012
I have a purebred Rottweiler, a Pitbull mix, and a small mixed bred. They stay outside or in another room during daycare hours,just because they are just big, but when I do interviews the family can clearly see them looking inside from the back sliding door. I have never had anyone that didn't come back because of the dogs (at least they never said...).

I also have indoor cats, that stays upstairs most of them time, but sometimes do their rounds downstairs, and maybe take a nap on the couch.

My pets were here before the daycare, and they are part of the family; if you don't want your child around pets, then don't bring him/her to my house -
Reply Up