Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Notice Should I Give?
Soccermom 05:43 AM 11-04-2013
I am terming 2 DCKS after Christmas. Both Part time. One is a 2 year old DCG and the other is a 4 year old DCG.

The 2 year old is just not ready for group care at all and the days she is here are a nightmare because she spends the day bullying the other kids and doing everything in her power to get attention (including pooping in her pants during snack time or story time even though she has been completely trained for over 6 months).

The 4 year old is sweet and I love her parents but she isn't a good fit with the other DCKS as she really doesn't settle in to play with the others because she is only here a couple mornings a week. Her presence seems to really affect the other kids who also tend to not settle into play when she is here.

My last day with them would be December 20th. When should I let them know? And how should I word it? I want to stay on good terms with the families as we live in a small community and the parents are really great but my stress and well being has to come first. Right now I am pulling my hair out!
NeedaVaca 05:56 AM 11-04-2013
I think it depends on how much you need the income. If you don't really need it you could give more notice. I think they will find someone else as soon as you tell them. I would give 2 weeks notice myself.
GretasLittleFriends 06:01 AM 11-04-2013
Do you have signed contracts with either family? If so, what does your contract say regarding termination? Mine states that I will provide a 2-week written notice if I am no longer able to care for a child, unless they fall into an immediate termination scenario.

Do you have resources to help them find other child care? Would it make a difference if they were full time? You could give the parents an early heads up if you wanted, with the option for those children to come full time instead to help them adjust better. Of course, if you give them early notice, they may choose to leave sooner than the last day you chose.
childcaremom 08:38 AM 11-04-2013
If these kids are causing you stress... and the income isn't a worry... why wait? I have a 3 week notice for both parties in my contract. I think that's plenty of time to make alternate arrangements. If yours is two weeks, I think that's plenty, too.
Reply Up