Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Having a Visitor?
newtodaycare22 07:23 PM 09-03-2010
I have a friend who spends the night occasionally because she works close to my house but lives an hour + away. She hasn't been doing it much but now she's pregnant and working a little more for the next few months...saving up money...so I feel like I want to acknowledge this with my parents. I only have to run background checks on "residents" of the house, and she's not a permanent resident. But, sometimes she'll be around the kids in the morning or during the day if she has a long lunch break. Any suggestions on informing parents about this and making them feel most comfortable? Should I have her run a background check too (obviously its clean). She will never be responsible for the kids but I want to make sure the parents are comfy with having her around. Thanks for opinions!
GretasLittleFriends 08:10 PM 09-03-2010
I don't know about your licensing, but mine requires me to have ANYONE over the age of 13 who spends any amount of time here to have background checks. That means that if my daughter (almost 15) was to have friends over with daycare kids here I am required to have background checks done on them. Even though they seclude themselves to her room, or outside FAR AWAY from the children.
melskids 05:31 AM 09-04-2010
my regs are the same as greta's friends, except the age is 18.
newtodaycare22 08:28 AM 09-04-2010
Nope, my state only required me to get background checks for permanent residents of my home (which my friend is not).
caitlin 07:07 PM 09-04-2010
I wouldn't run a background check if you didn't have to but I would make sure the parents knew what was going on. Stress that she would not be alone with the kids, and she would just see them in passing or if she was on lunch.
MarinaVanessa 03:31 PM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I don't know about your licensing, but mine requires me to have ANYONE over the age of 13 who spends any amount of time here to have background checks. That means that if my daughter (almost 15) was to have friends over with daycare kids here I am required to have background checks done on them. Even though they seclude themselves to her room, or outside FAR AWAY from the children.
Mine's like this also except it's for all adults over the age of 18. Actually the regulations say that anyone living in the household should get a bakground check and TB test but my licensor says that anyone that comes in contact with the kids on a regular basis. I know that it's not the same for you but I would be worried about disease etc. Your friend can have something and not know it so I would at least make sure she didn't have TB or other like disease that may not be apparent. She's prego so she must have already been through these tests so just asking her for a copy of the results would give your clients peace of mind.

As for telling them, I'd make a letter. Explain that she is a close friend that will be staying in your home on a regular basis a few times a week/month and that sometimes she may be in your home during times that DC kids are present. Offer a chance for each to individually schedule a chance to meet her in your home so that they can get to know her and see that she isn't an ax-murderer . I say a letter because it's always good to have a copy for yourself but actually discuss this with them in person. I'm sure that they will be ok with everything.
Abigail 07:28 PM 09-05-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Your friend can have something and not know it so I would at least make sure she didn't have TB or other like disease that may not be apparent. She's prego so she must have already been through these tests so just asking her for a copy of the results would give your clients peace of mind.
Soon TB tests will not be required. I wouldn't make a big deal of the situation, but I would do the background check because it's the least you could do. You don't need any other documents and it's only short-term. I would send a letter to each family stating some general information that you have so-and-so staying at your place to be closer to her job for a few months.

I wouldn't make it sound like she will not be left alone with the kids or anything dramatic because it's as if you have a family member or any other friend living with you who has a job outside of the house. Add to the note that if they would like to meet her, you'll let them know her schedule, but it's not a big deal. It shouldn't be "Are you comfortable with having my friend stay the night at my place...." it should be more professional like "Our home has a temporary addition to the family....." Personal message me if you would like ideas of how to write up a short letter!
DancingQueen 05:31 AM 09-06-2010
My daughter was in daycare prior to my becoming licensed this January. My daycare provider had visitors in and out a lot and it never really bothered me as a parent because I knew that she was the only one in charge of my child and that she was 100% on duty even when they were around.
So as parent - as long as I trusted you their would be no issue. I'd simply let the parents know quite matter a factly.
I think if you make a big issue over it the parents are going to sense that there is a reason for it and then it will become an issue for them as well.
Former Teacher 06:32 AM 09-06-2010
In TX anyone who has contact with the children on a regular basis for 30 mins or more must have a background check done. My former state rep. once made the comment about a parent who would hang out at the center that he needed a background check. We were like..this is a PARENT. Nope she said, he is in regular contact staying longer than 30 mins. Either get a check or tell him he cant stay as long as he did. We wound up telling him that he couldn't stay because we weren't going to pay for the BGC and all the hassle with the state. He totally understood. In fact he would make jokes about it...opps times up! Gotta go!
choirlady76 06:05 PM 09-06-2010
Perhaps check the laws in your state in regards her having a background check and even if it's not required, if you feel more comfortable (not to imply that she's not good person, but to just have that documentation to show she has had a bgc) and as others have said a simple letter explaining her staying there for a bit and the oppertunity to meet wth her if a parent should wish to.
MarinaVanessa 09:14 AM 09-07-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Soon TB tests will not be required. I wouldn't make a big deal of the situation, but I would do the background check because it's the least you could do.
No more TB tests really? Maybe in your area? I know that it's different from state to state and even then county to county and TB testing AND criminal BG checks are required here in my area (CA). I'm going through this process right now with my BIL. He and his GF are engaged and have decided to wait until after they are married to move in together (even thought they have a son) and so to save up for the wedding and hopefully a down-payment on a house he'll be giving up his 2-bedroom apt and staying with us until next July. He works off-shore most of the time and will only be here maybe 2 weekends out of the months and about 6 days a month during the week and even then only about 30 minutes each weekday will be during DC hours and I was required to give him a TB test, CB check and have his fill out sign a form that asks him questions about his background. This is just because he'll be spending approximately 3 hours a month during DC hours. But again, some states are more lax than others. If I had a prefference of doing either a medical test or BG check, I'd pick the TB test. I'd be worried that even my BIL might have something that even he doesn't know about. Especially now that they say that a lot of the old diseases are coming back because people aren't vaccinated for them (maybe I'm just paranoid since I'm prego lol). I'm even having everyone living here get a vaccination for pertussis (whooping cough) before my baby is due in Nov. since lots of babies and young children are getting it from their parents and grandparents. I'm more of a "better to be safe than sorry" type .
Carole's Daycare 11:51 AM 09-07-2010
In my state background checks are required fo both residents and regular visitors over age 13. I guess if you don't need to do it, it depends on whether you'd like to be pre-emptive and have one on file in case a parent asks. I would also not make a "big deal" out of it, or even mention background checks etc to families. I would do as required by your states regulations, and more if you choose, but i would inform families in a more casual way - perhaps as a short two sentences in your newsletter- Informing famiolies of a temporary part-time addition to your family-that she stays with ypou occasionallly to save gas/transportation time whatever, and her name- a cute sunshine welcome clipart next to it and everyone just got a happy, positive vibe about the whole deal. then, if someone expresses concern, individually you can discuss rules about background checks etc, reassure them if necessary etc.
Tags:visitation
Reply Up