Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Policies/Feelings About Cloth Diapering For Children In Care?
Creek 05:40 AM 06-08-2012
Do you have a child in care who uses cloth diapers?
Would you take a child who uses cloth diapers?

I have a child who uses cloth diapers, and it really hasn't been too much of a problem. If the child has a bowel movement, and I can empty it into the toilet I do, but I do not rinse out cloth diapers. If I can get some off - great but I am not playing in poo!

I ask because there is a thread about cloth diapering going on on another site (not a DC related site) where someone asked as a provider would you deal with cloth diapers, etc. I replied and then someone replied just horrified that I would not rinse out and scrape off ****! I mean, come on - yes I have SO much extra time in the day to sit in the bathroom and play in your child's diaper. Besides, WHY would I even want to do that?

I feel like replying to her but I don't know if it would be pretty.

What are your policies/feelings about cloth diapering?
SunflowerMama 05:47 AM 06-08-2012
I cloth diaper all the kids in care (that are in diapers of course ). I actually use a diaper service so the whole diaper just gets thrown in a huge wetbag...poop and all. They are picked up weekly.

When I cloth diapered my own kids I did just like you. Shake off anything that comes off and then toss in a wetbag. I never did any more and they cleaned just fine.

I think your cloth diapering families would appreciate that you even offer that service. If they were super concerned they could provide you with the flushable liners for each dipe, but I think what you're doing is totally fine.
GretasLittleFriends 05:58 AM 06-08-2012
The only experience I have with cloth diapers is the fact that I wore them when I was a baby. Oh, wait, no, I have also used them as burp rags. I don't know the first thing about cloth diapering, and would be very hesitant to use cloth diapers on a daycare child. The issue has not come up yet, so I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I would also have to look into what licensing says about diapering just to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but I would definitely have to do some investigating/learning first.

And as far as the dirty diaper goes, I agree, I'd just dump what I could in the toilet and bag it up. I wouldn't go out of my way to clean the diaper.
pootmcgoot 05:59 AM 06-08-2012
I cloth diapered my kid. And my dcb is cloth diapered. It's a hassle cuz dcm expects me to wash them...ugh so annoying.
DCBlessings27 06:02 AM 06-08-2012
The regulations here (KS) state that we cannot "play in the child's diaper" as you put it. If a child makes a mess here, we are to bag it and send it home.

I think what you're doing is just fine.
DaisyMamma 06:03 AM 06-08-2012
I would use them, but I would certainly NOT clean them.
itlw8 06:08 AM 06-08-2012
dump and bag same with training pants.
SilverSabre25 06:16 AM 06-08-2012
You're doing fine. If the parents are that concerned, they need to supply you with some flushable liners such as these. There are plenty of others out there, that was just the first result on Google. Even something like these liners would do the trick; they allow most of the poop to slide easily off. What doesn't come off easily doesn't matter.

You're doing fine with what you are doing but I would offer that option to the parents.

As for what I do with CD's, I have had a couple of CD'd kids in care. The parents send me a wet bag each day with the day's supply of diapers; I take the clean ones out and then fill the bag back up with the dirty ones. My parents have all used the flushable liners so in the even of a poop I just dump the liner into the toilet. I do pull out the insert if it's a pocket diapers (like a BumGenius) but some people don't do that and make the parents do it later. Then the dirties go home with the kid that day.

PootMcGoot, I would NOT wash the CD's for the parents. They need to send you a wetbag, in which you will send home the day's soiled dipes. That is absolutely beyond the call of duty for you to be washing dipes!!!!
Former Teacher 06:38 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by Creek:

I have a child who uses cloth diapers, and it really hasn't been too much of a problem. If the child has a bowel movement, and I can empty it into the toilet I do, but I do not rinse out cloth diapers. If I can get some off - great but I am not playing in poo!

I ask because there is a thread about cloth diapering going on on another site (not a DC related site) where someone asked as a provider would you deal with cloth diapers, etc. I replied and then someone replied just horrified that I would not rinse out and scrape off ****! I mean, come on - yes I have SO much extra time in the day to sit in the bathroom and play in your child's diaper. Besides, WHY would I even want to do that?

Thank you for asking this!

When I start my new family in late July, they will be using cloth diapers. I truly dread it. However from the way it sounds, its not as bad as it looks!
saved4always 06:38 AM 06-08-2012

Where I am it is against liscensing rules to "play in the poo" if a child has a a bm in thier underwear (we don't do cloth diapers but, if they are even allowed, rinsing would definitely not be allowed). I believe the rule says we can dump any solid in the toilet (and I am not sure that is even required, just if the toilet is handy) and then we are to bag the rest of the mess and send it home for laundering. It is a health issue for the group since poop carries things like e-coli that has more risk of being transferred to the provider or other children and making them sick if the provider is handlng it more than necessary and trying to rinse it.
Kiki 06:45 AM 06-08-2012
Can't play in the poo here either. I'm not sure on the exact wording of the rule, I just remember the basics of it. Honestly, I don't think parents except you to get all of it off, they probably don't try to hard at home either, more than likely it's dumped, and then placed in a bin to be washed with the rest of them. Trust me, even just dumping them, they will clean just fine.

I don't have any children currently in cloth diapers, but my sister did use them for my niece. They really did not bother me at all, and yes, I would allow them to be used in my home again. I applaud parents that are brave enough to use them nowadays with the disposables out there.
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 06-08-2012
Here is a handly little chart that tells what each state's rules and regulations are in regards to diapers both cloth and disposable. http://www.myblossombottom.com/pages...ild-Care-.html

The important thing to remember is to wear gloves, dump whatever contents can be dumpable, washing, scraping and dunking is NOT necessary and NEVER EVER wash or rinse a cloth diaper in a sink or are that is used for hand washing or food prep.

The same basic principles (minus the fecal dumping) should be followed and observed when using cloth and disposable diapers.
cheerfuldom 09:07 AM 06-08-2012

I cloth diaper my kids and any daycare kids whose families bring supplies for them. I do "roll" out the solid poos in the trash but do not scrape and rinse for daycare families. To be honest, I dont even scrape and rinse for my kids. I run the diapers in a rinse cycle, then wash, then another rinse and that takes care of all of it.

Was the person who responded a parent? or another provider? I could totally see a parent that has only one child saying this. They have no clue what your day is like
cheerfuldom 09:10 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:

When I start my new family in late July, they will be using cloth diapers. I truly dread it. However from the way it sounds, its not as bad as it looks!
Girl, the cloth diapers these days are not at all like the ones from years past. I bet you will find it very easy and shocked at how easy it is!

Make the parents bring one days worth of diapers and one wetbag (waterproof bag that keeps in the stink). Everything goes home at the end of the day (I do not launder for daycare families) Ask that all diapers be of a similar kind so you dont have to figure out what needs a cover, what needs this or that. Feel free to post here with questions!!
CaliMom 09:16 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:

I will have a baby starting in August that will be in cloth diapers also so hopefully it won't be so bad either!
Former Teacher 09:53 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Girl, the cloth diapers these days are not at all like the ones from years past. I bet you will find it very easy and shocked at how easy it is!

Make the parents bring one days worth of diapers and one wetbag (waterproof bag that keeps in the stink). Everything goes home at the end of the day (I do not launder for daycare families) Ask that all diapers be of a similar kind so you dont have to figure out what needs a cover, what needs this or that. Feel free to post here with questions!!
Thanks cheerfuldom!

Actually since I am a private nanny now, I will be going to their house. It will be/is so worth it

Of course I ALWAYS come here for any questions I might have! Whether it is about children or just everyday life. You all are my best friends without faces
Creek 10:28 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I cloth diaper my kids and any daycare kids whose families bring supplies for them. I do "roll" out the solid poos in the trash but do not scrape and rinse for daycare families. To be honest, I dont even scrape and rinse for my kids. I run the diapers in a rinse cycle, then wash, then another rinse and that takes care of all of it.

Was the person who responded a parent? or another provider? I could totally see a parent that has only one child saying this. They have no clue what your day is like
A parent of course. I explained that I would empty what I could of course but I was not scraping and rinsing out a poopy diaper. I have other children to supervise. I also added in the part about US licencing in some states state that you can't be 'playing in poo' lol. She just doesn't care. She's one of those posters who seems to write odd stuff anyways. I'm trying VERY hard to leave it alone. Some people just can't be reasoned with.

She said

"...if I got home and opened my wet bag to find piles of feces in it, honestly - I'd probably quit that daycare. To me as a parent, if you tell me you are ok with cloth diapers & then I get home and find my child's feces in that bag, I'm really going to wonder what else you are slacking on. I would be looking for a new daycare that understood/accepted my choice to CD. "
saved4always 10:44 AM 06-08-2012
A parent of course. I explained that I would empty what I could of course but I was not scraping and rinsing out a poopy diaper. I have other children to supervise. I also added in the part about US licencing in some states state that you can't be 'playing in poo' lol. She just doesn't care. She's one of those posters who seems to write odd stuff anyways. I'm trying VERY hard to leave it alone. Some people just can't be reasoned with.

She said

"...if I got home and opened my wet bag to find piles of feces in it, honestly - I'd probably quit that daycare. To me as a parent, if you tell me you are ok with cloth diapers & then I get home and find my child's feces in that bag, I'm really going to wonder what else you are slacking on. I would be looking for a new daycare that understood/accepted my choice to CD. "
I wonder if she would be as ok with it if it was some other child's cloth diaper. As has been said on this forum before. This is GROUP care. Providers need to do what is best for the group. To me, that is making sure anything that is contaminated with feces is contained as quickly as possible and touches as few surfaces as possible. Dumping a pile into a nearby toilet is one thing. Rinsing in a sink (or even manipulating it in toilet water enough to "clean" it) is too much of a bacteria risk. In my home, I don't have a utility sink in my laundry room so rinsing would be either in my bathroom or kitchen sink....where children and I wash hands and where food prep is done. Not going to happen.
Unregistered 11:04 AM 06-08-2012
I charge a fee in addition to the normal weekly rate for parents that cloth diaper. I also do no washing, dumping, etc.
Blackcat31 11:06 AM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I charge a fee in addition to the normal weekly rate for parents that cloth diaper. I also do no washing, dumping, etc.
Why would you charge an additional fee for parents that use cloth diapers.

I don't see how cloth diapering is any more work or any more troublesome than disposable diapers or kids who wear pull ups.

Personally, I would rather give the additional fee to those who use disposables as they have a profound effect on our environment.

Kudos to those who do use cloth diapers as I would like my grand children and great grandchildren have the right to breathe fresh air and have a clean environment to grow up in!
sharlan 12:01 PM 06-08-2012
For those that have an issue with the poo, ask your parents to provide diaper liners. They're so convenient to just dump into the toilet.
Abigail 12:42 PM 06-08-2012
To the original question....I do have children in cloth diapers in my care. I always ask what type of diapers they use. I have always had bum genius with the liners that come in daily prestuffed ready to use and a diaper bag to put them in. All I have to do it fasten the laundry velcro tabs and pull the insert out and fold it into the diaper and place in the bag. This way the parents just dump out the entire bag in the washer when they get home. All diapers and bag are brought fresh daily. The oldest goes number two in the toilet, but when the child didn't I would dump it to the toilet and flip it.

Do what you're comfortable with. Have gloves on hand if you want to use them. I wouldn't say charge extra, cloth diapers are not bad and you don't have the smell around your own garbage can for a week until garbage day either! I would say it's reasonable to ask parents to provide you with a box of medium sized gloves but for $9 I would just go buy them myself which I already do. This is covered by an enrollment fee.

You need to check with your licensing rules. Ours states that we're not allowed to have cloth diapers within reach and must be handled in a sanitary manner. This means not to carry the dirty diaper through the house to flip into the toilet. I just changed this older one in the bathroom when it was a number two so I could dump it and get rid of the smell. We also need a diaper bag, not plastic bags for cloth diapers to be transferred home in.

I wish you luck and recommend you at least give it a try if you think you can do it! Let the parents know up front if you're not sure if you'll be comfortable with it and even ask them to change the child in front of you once to show you! LOL I'm sure they would too!

BTW: I also have them bring extra disposables to have here incase I run out of cloth for the day. I've only had to use maybe 3 disposables in three months of full time care so ask for a half-a-dozen to be here as spares and you'll let them know when they run low. My general policies for diapering is to have diapers brought by the box, not per day but I make sure to ask if they cloth diaper as I go over the handbook with them and then we discuss what works best. Cloth diapers take up about twice as much room for storage so enough for the day is all I can do anyways!
SilverSabre25 01:22 PM 06-08-2012
Abigail brought up an excellent point--the parents need to leave 5-10 disposables here "just in case".
cheerfuldom 01:32 PM 06-08-2012

She said

she sounds like an idiot or drama queen. I would write "you are welcome to go ahead and try that. Your provider may work with you, she may not. You might find that after working with in-home daycares, your expectations are not as reasonable as you think they are"
youretooloud 04:44 PM 06-08-2012
I use cloth diapers. But, I don't rinse the poopy diapers either. If a parent would be appalled by that..... guess who would suddenly do sposies only? Me.
youretooloud 04:47 PM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Personally, I would rather give the additional fee to those who use disposables as they have a profound effect on our environment.
Not to mention your garbage can. We have trash pickup once a week, I hate disposables for that reason alone.
saved4always 05:22 PM 06-08-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Not to mention your garbage can. We have trash pickup once a week, I hate disposables for that reason alone.
Those poopy diapers in the trash definitely stink up the garage!
Reply Up