Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Your Help!!!! Daycare Issue in My Neighborhood
babyrobin 08:33 AM 09-10-2008
hello at all, wont get into specifics of location names or anything. Here is what is going on:

a new neighbor moved into neighbor about 7 months ago, (this is a close neighborhood with most residients being there 30+ years) the person who just moved in wants to start a daycare. The whole negihborhood is protesting it and does no want it to happen. We are trying to stop this from happening and need your help.

so far the person has been approved for 12 children day care, person passed the fire inspection as well and codes inspection. We also check with codes and they have permits for daycare and for the building they have built for the day care. The person already has 5 kids of her own and only one of them is by the person she is currently with. This would not be a safe envorminet for the kids.

The street is a small street and alot of times there is cars parked on both sides of road allwoing only one lane of traffic. one neighbor owns a contruction busniess and he often brings home large contrction items for short periods which no one has a problem with but with that and all the cars it is hard to get thourgh sometimes and if we add 12 new cars would be nightmare.

what can we do to not allow this to happen in our neighboorhood?

what has already happened:
codes is up to date, passed fire inspection, passed codes inspection, had meeting with neghiboorhood but since so many protesting had to reschedule, had second meeting but due to the outrage had to reschedule, have a final meeting coming up

any help would be great and sorry about spelling was in hurry
lilbiddapopcorn 04:55 PM 09-10-2008
Sorry but if she's done everything she needs to for licensing, she can have her daycare, that's her right. Sounds like you are less worried about the safety of the children and more worried about any inconvenience it might be to your parking space. And what does having children by different fathers have to do with her ability to care for children? Sooo her relationship with the first father didn't work out, THAT'S what you think makes it a bad environment for the kids? And a neighbor brings a few construction things home from work, so what, sounds like his problem to me. Personally I think you and your neighbors sound like a bunch of snobs, and if I were her I wouldn't care what you guys thought either.
Unregistered 05:26 PM 09-10-2008
"The person already has 5 kids of her own and only one of them is by the person she is currently with."

What does the aforementioned statement have to do with her being a qualified childcare provider????

"This would not be a safe envorminet for the kids."

What validates this statement???

"...if we add 12 new cars would be nightmare."

The cars would not be a permanent fixture, it would only be parents dropping off and picking up their children at various times during the day.

It seems as if you are prying into her personal life and trying to use it against her, it also appears that you are trying to regulate/control what she does in her home. Personally, its none of your business. If she is not breaking any laws and she is following the city ordinances, there is nothing legally that you can do. She can however take you to court for slander/liable among other issues.
Unregistered 06:14 PM 09-10-2008
I'm not quite sure if you really wanted help here? This is a pro-daycare board. I would never, not in a million years help your protest! She is doing everything correctly and by the book so why should you have a problem with it! Is it that you don't like children? Ya know some people don't, quick solution........move!!!! Maybe its the noise, once again simple remedy........buy ear plugs. Oh no, Its got to be the cars? If 12 children and all there parents are in my house at one time, I will not be present cause my house would be a mad house!!! Here's are my words of advice, and i hope you find it very "HELPFUL" Relax and don't sweat the small stuff, leave her alone and let her make a living. Who knows you just may need her one day!!!!
Unregistered 10:59 PM 09-21-2008
I am with everyone else here - you are way out of line! A person has a right to start a daycare if they meet all the requirements and follow the rules. You haven't provided one sound argument as to why this women shouldn't be allowed to operate a daycare. I hope she is very successful and you fail in your ridiculous attempts to prevent her from supporting her family.
Unregistered 11:36 AM 09-22-2008
As long as she is not abusing the kids and they are safe you should butt out of her business. Maybe she can't afford to go to work and pay for daycare for all her kids so to not have to pay for her own daycare and bring money in she is starting her own daycare she maybe only trying to survive in life so I would butt out of her life and maybe get a hobby to keep your mind off things that don't concern you.

Originally Posted by babyrobin:
hello at all, wont get into specifics of location names or anything. Here is what is going on:

a new neighbor moved into neighbor about 7 months ago, (this is a close neighborhood with most residients being there 30+ years) the person who just moved in wants to start a daycare. The whole negihborhood is protesting it and does no want it to happen. We are trying to stop this from happening and need your help.

so far the person has been approved for 12 children day care, person passed the fire inspection as well and codes inspection. We also check with codes and they have permits for daycare and for the building they have built for the day care. The person already has 5 kids of her own and only one of them is by the person she is currently with. This would not be a safe envorminet for the kids.

The street is a small street and alot of times there is cars parked on both sides of road allwoing only one lane of traffic. one neighbor owns a contruction busniess and he often brings home large contrction items for short periods which no one has a problem with but with that and all the cars it is hard to get thourgh sometimes and if we add 12 new cars would be nightmare.

codes is up to date, passed fire inspection, passed codes inspection, had meeting with neghiboorhood but since so many protesting had to reschedule, had second meeting but due to the outrage had to reschedule, have a final meeting coming up

Unregistered 10:07 PM 09-23-2008
The cars are not parked there long enough to cause too many problems. If she is a good caretaker then I would mind my own business.
daycaremom1998 09:30 AM 09-30-2008
I must say that I feel so sorry for your neighbor who is putting in such a much needed business. She is new to your neighborhood, and this is how you are going to treat her? Shame on you! She has done nothing wrong, in fact, she has done everything right. As for the parking, her clients won't be parked long enough for there to be an issue. You came to the wrong place for advice.
NEDaycare 08:08 AM 10-17-2008
That's all I have to say. Shame on you. I feel sorry for this lady, moving into an established neighborhood where it sounds like everyone knows everyone and she's the "outsider", and you've stated everyone is trying so hard to keep it that way. It's none of your business at all about how many kids she has and how many fathers there are involved with those kids. And the traffic thing.... cop out. Your real concern was the number of different fathers her kids have. That's it and that's all. I'm licensed for 10 kids, and the most cars I've had in my driveway at one time is two because of the staggered times that kids are dropped off. Try supporting her in her endeavors if you can get over the fact that you've already passed judgment on the woman, which was not your to pass. You obviously privied yourself to information that took a while to get, because I dont know a single person that says "Hi, I'm Mary Jane, and I have five kids with five different fathers" or however many fathers the case may be. How much time exactly did you spend with this new lady, acting like you were her friend to get all of this information? Wolf in sheep's clothing. Shame on you, and your neighbors. You might do us all a favor and post your geographic location so we all know NOT to move there.
Unregistered 06:34 AM 11-13-2008
I am so encouraged by the responses you all have given this daycare provider..I had a mom and child visit my daycare yesterday and she thought this was about my daycare..(after reading I doubt it) But on the other hand there is a daycare provider in my area that I feel is capable of creating lies about my business...I find my flyers scribbled on, taken down, hers looks more and more like mine everyday......I find it disturbing that someone that's supposed to be loving, kind and nurturing to children could have so much meaness in them..Everyone has the right to have there own business to support they're families..and no one has the right to sabatage them..I have not lashed back at all..because that is Not who I am and I choose to be the better person..I just replace my flyers and carry on..Best to you all.
TTOTS 01:08 PM 11-14-2008
Here is a question for you. If you are so worried about this woman's 12 daycare parents parking to pick up their child and that means less driving places, then why don't you ask the construction guy to stop bringing home his equiptment and taking up so much space? I'm sure his one dump truck or whatever takes up at least 3 parking spots and half a road. Another thing SHAME ON YOU! If this is how you treat people trying to make a living loving children then you better stay away from mine because I wouldn't want you to take care of my children with that kind of meanness in your heart. I just think you are afraid of getting to know someone new. Sounds like maybe some insecurities on your part. Just my opinion though. I just want to add good luck to the neighbor and I hope she gets her daycare up and running soon.
Ms.Sue 04:10 PM 11-16-2008
I have to agree with all the other comments. This is NOT a 'daycare' issue - it's a personal issue with you. You need to not worry, unless she opens a brothel!
Ms.Sue
Unregistered 04:12 PM 11-16-2008
I agree with every1 else. Who r u to protest against her daycare! You shuld just be lucky she is trying to get licensed, there are a lot of home daycares out there that r not. Why would u want to protest against some1 elses means of income? What inconvience would this daycare center really be to u? Yeah it might be a little noisy (in the lady's back yard) when the children r outside, but who cares. The fact that she has 5 kids means nothing. In my state those children would have to get added into her ratio, so she wouldnt be able to get 12 new kids plus her kids. her kids would get put into the 12 she is aloud to have, but every state is different.

What if a family with 10 kids moved into ur neighboorhood? Would u protest and try to get them out because they have too many kids? I find ur post very upsetting. You dont own the block...so stop trying to act as if u do.
Unregistered 02:53 PM 11-22-2008
Rude and despicable behavior. How dare you be against her daycare and not against the crap the man brings home from his construction company. Neither is any of your business.
Unregistered 04:33 PM 01-05-2009
I believe your small town of people have been there for so long and have nothing better to do than pick on a newcomer! surely it is not the way you would have liked to be treated 30 years ago with a family to take care of!!maybe showing her a little respect for privacy or even a little support might just make you feel good!! soumds to me that you all are acting like the grinch who stole christmas!
Unregistered 05:42 AM 10-19-2010
There are always two sides of the coin - as long as the daycare providers have customers follow the same parking guidelines/traffic rules and supervise the children in aftercare while they are outside everything should be fine. Problems of safety for the children and others in the neighborhood do arise when people are not paying attention to the speed limits, have to maneuver around excessive amounts of children in the road (at my house at least 15 under 10yrs old wandering and creating challenges for drivers) on others property and so on. So while there are the technical considerations of why a person is allowed a daycare in a neighborhood there are the traffic/safety and property values of the owners that also come into play.

Reading your posts have helped me to try more to see both sides.
BentleysBands 12:01 PM 10-19-2010
in total agreement w/everyone!! curious tho, why is everyone posting as UNregistered
MommyMuffin 12:13 PM 10-19-2010
I also agree with the comments and I too wondered why everyone was posting as unregistered?
I can understand worrying about noise and additional "traffic" but I wouldnt make a stink about it until it actually is a problem, and then just mention something to her about it. You cant stop her from doing this and why should you? There really isnt much you can do about it!
DCMomOf3 12:14 PM 10-19-2010
I have a feeling that your real reason is that you don't want child noise in the neighborhood. If everyone has been there for 30 years, I would assume they are elderly and would rather a quiet street. I have to say, I hope your 'neighborhood meeting' cannot interfere with her plans. She has every right to open a home daycare and she is doing everything by the book. Shame on all of you.
QualiTcare 12:31 PM 10-19-2010
LOL - she has five kids and only one is with the man she's with now. that is NOT a safe environment!

sounds like my nosey ass neighbor. she knows i have a child from a previous relationship and i wasn't married to her dad when i had her. she was talking about her own daughter who is grown one day and said, "she's a good girl though. she's going to get married and everything before she has kids."

it didn't even hit me until later, but i was like.....yeah, i should've said, "well, u don't want her to be a wh*re like me!"

some people really do have too much time on their hands. my neighbor conveniently checks her mail every time i walk outside and if one of my kids isn't in school for an appointment or something she'll say, "oh, is school out today?!" one day i'm gonna say, "nope. i just don't make them go if they don't feel like it!"

leave this woman alone and get a LIFE!!
AnythingsPossible 12:33 PM 10-19-2010
If she is required in your city to have a permit, the only thing you could do would be to go to the city council and express your concerns to them, though they would probably give her her license anyway. Your best course of action would be to try and be a good neighbor and make her feel welcome. If she does get licensed and there is a true nuisence document your findings and again go to the city council. If you notice any safety issues, contact her licensor. However, if she already has 5 children of her own, the kids have come to the neighborhood, enjoy it! Personally I wouldn't want to operate a business where the neighbors are so hostile, to bad she didn't check it out before moving in.
SilverSabre25 12:45 PM 10-19-2010
Don't forget to notice guys that this thread is two years old!

Still, I have a hard time believing someone actually asked that here!
QualiTcare 12:49 PM 10-19-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

nice observation. ugh - i hate that!
Brookers 01:05 PM 10-19-2010
WOW!! Thats all I have to say....Wow. OK maybe not ALL I have to say, Im just sorry for her ( I have some neighbors who are just so nosey and rude as well, so I know how she feels). Poor woman is trying to make a living in a down economy while raising her children. And who cares who the father of her children are, as long as she is a good mother!!! People make mistakes, some people make that mistake more than once, you dont know her past and what happened to those relationships. (And just to clairify, children are not the mistake). You should just be happy that she is jumping through all the hoops to get it done right. They are not easy hoops to jump through either, they are a lot of work. And as for the parking/street "issue", maybe you should just get off your high holy than thou horse and go over there and support her and tell her that you are concerned about the parking and ask her to keep the drop off/pick up visits short as to not gum up the works. Good luck to her and you can let her know all us Daycare Proviers here on this forum are cheering for her! God Bless.
Brookers 01:07 PM 10-19-2010

HAHA!! Thats funny! I didnt notice that, just saw it as the most recent thred!
missnikki 02:38 PM 10-19-2010
The thread so nice, it's been featured twice!
Attached: lol-cats_i-love-this-thread-so-much.jpg (50.7 KB) 
TGT09 04:21 PM 10-19-2010

That's what I was just getting ready to post! lol
Lucy 04:32 PM 10-19-2010
There won't be 12 cars all at the same time - they will come and go at different times throughout the day most likely.

If she's approved, there's nothing you can do about it.

Also, I'm pretty sure her 5 are counted in that 12 anyway, so that's 7 additional. Most likely at least two of those will be siblings (probably more), so that cuts down the number of parents yet again. I wouldn't worry.
QualiTcare 09:56 PM 10-19-2010
my new motto - if people would worry about their own family half as much as they worry about everyone else's - we wouldn't have a fraction of the problems we have!

i wonder what my nosey neighbor's daughter is REALLY doing while she's so worried about my kids being out of school or the brush pile on my land.

seriously, i couldn't tell u what color car half of my neighbor's drive cus A) i don't care, and B) i don't have time to notice!
Unregistered 06:24 AM 06-16-2011
I have the same situation in my neighbor hood, but only worse. Dealing with traffic, people parking in my driveway, rude parents speeding in and out of my street. Constant noise, people idling there diesel trucks for 5-10 minutes, the whole situation is a nuisance. If someone wants to have a large daycare, then it's not approriate in a neighborhood. They should get a facility in a commercially zoned area. I feel for the person delaing with this issue. People talk big when it's not going on next door to them!
Unregistered 11:49 PM 08-23-2011
I understand you'd like to solve the cars going in out of the neighborhood, but in reality, it shouldn't be a problem if they've done everything that is legal. Remember, as the economy shifts downward, more people might need to work from home, I think letting everyone have that option (rather than not) helps everyone in the long run. Who knows, maybe you'll be next to loose your income and might need to figure out a way to work, even if it might be from home. It's a small home daycare and they won't be able to get a facility license. A woman can naturally have 12 children or more either by birthing them herself. A couple could easily do foster childcare in a home. I think there is over 7000 children without a home in WA state and the numbers are probably climbing with the economy going south. Just remember most families take 3 or 4 day weekend holidays, kids do get sick and who really knows if she will take care of 12 kids (she will need to get them first and then keep them as clients). If she has 12 child ratio and has 5 kids of her own, then your ONLY talking about her maybe taking care of 7 or less children that aren't her own and sometimes they can be 3 from one family and 2 from another so as you see, the number of car ration just came down tremendously by doing first grade math. Thanks for your time....
Cat Herder 05:57 AM 08-24-2011
We are trying to stop this from happening and need your help.

Um, you read the forum name, right??

Well dang those civil rights.

I think your best course of action would be to be more tolerant of the world around you.

Sorry.

A three year old thread???? I can't believe I fell for that....

Blah...where is my coffee????
Cat Herder 06:14 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have the same situation in my neighbor hood, but only worse. Dealing with traffic, people parking in my driveway, rude parents speeding in and out of my street. Constant noise, people idling there diesel trucks for 5-10 minutes, the whole situation is a nuisance. If someone wants to have a large daycare, then it's not appropriate in a neighborhood. They should get a facility in a commercially zoned area. I feel for the person dealing with this issue. People talk big when it's not going on next door to them!
If they are parking in your driveway or speeding through your streets give your neighbor a call. Be polite first. Give her a chance to fix it.

I would be on my clients like white on rice for that.

I ADORE my neighbors and would not tolerate my clients going onto their property, speeding through our neighborhood or disrespecting them in any way.

I love the kids and pets from around the neighborhood as well....so the speeding thing would cause me to terminate services for any client who did that. It is part of their contract and I ENFORCE my contract.

The diesel thing is necessary, though. Multiple engine stops and starts are a big no-no with them. It wears them down unnecessarily. Is 10 minutes really too long to tolerate that??
Unregistered 09:33 AM 05-29-2012
I have a neighbor that opened a daycare right next door. They start delivering the children at 6am and the last is picked up by 6pm. The problem I have is not the parking but how loud they are dropping off the children and it is not the children that are loud. The parents need to realize that this isa a neighborhood and some people do not need to be wooken up at 6am. I have tried to communicate with the neighbors and they DO NOT speak english so it is difficult.
I have no problem with the day care. It is well run and they have the correct number of children and the children seem happy but I have a huge issue with the noise in the am.
I do not want to contact the police for this but this does not seem to fair to me.
What would you do if you could not communicate with this neighbor and you just want them to keep it down in the morning?
SunshineMama 10:20 AM 05-29-2012

Sorry to put this bluntly but: What is wrong with you?

Why would you want to stop someone from starting a legal business to support their family?

This is like a bad episode of "mean girls" from high school.

Mind your own business and stop ganging up on your new neighbor. I am under 30 and the youngest in my neighborhood, and started a daycare similar to your new neighbor because I NEED to support my family. My daycare kids don't effect anyone in my neighborhood at all.
SunshineMama 10:22 AM 05-29-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a neighbor that opened a daycare right next door. They start delivering the children at 6am and the last is picked up by 6pm. The problem I have is not the parking but how loud they are dropping off the children and it is not the children that are loud. The parents need to realize that this isa a neighborhood and some people do not need to be wooken up at 6am. I have tried to communicate with the neighbors and they DO NOT speak english so it is difficult.
I have no problem with the day care. It is well run and they have the correct number of children and the children seem happy but I have a huge issue with the noise in the am.
I do not want to contact the police for this but this does not seem to fair to me.
What would you do if you could not communicate with this neighbor and you just want them to keep it down in the morning?
Write them an anonymous letter and put it in their mailbox, asking them to tell their parents to keep quiet early morning hours. If they are operating a business in America I am sure they speak english.

I don't have this problem, all of my daycare parents are repectful in the morning.
SilverSabre25 10:54 AM 05-29-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Sorry to put this bluntly but: What is wrong with you?

Why would you want to stop someone from starting a legal business to support their family?

This is like a bad episode of "mean girls" from high school.

Mind your own business and stop ganging up on your new neighbor. I am under 30 and the youngest in my neighborhood, and started a daycare similar to your new neighbor because I NEED to support my family. My daycare kids don't effect anyone in my neighborhood at all.
check the date; this thread is 3.5 years old.
CheekyChick 10:55 AM 05-29-2012
So far the person has been approved for 12 children day care, person passed the fire inspection as well and codes inspection. We also check with codes and they have permits for daycare and for the building they have built for the day care.

It sounds like she's doing it the right way.

The person already has 5 kids of her own and only one of them is by the person she is currently with. This would not be a safe envorminet for the kids.

Why in the world would this not be a safe environment for the kids? She has every right to have children with different fathers.

I live on a residential street and have about 16 parents dropping off and picking up their children on a daily basis. Never is there more than 3 or 4 cars at one time and it is only for a few minutes per parent. It's not as if the 12 cars will be parked on the street the entire day!!! No offense, but I am thankful I have wonderful neighbors who are sweet and support my business. One family even lets our little ones pick pumpkins in the fall. I feel sorry for this woman that she has to deal with neighbors who are so unfriendly.

What can we do to not allow this to happen in our neighboorhood?

Why would you want to prevent another human being from making a living and feeding her children? With all due respect, that just sounds selfish and mean.

Codes is up to date, passed fire inspection, passed codes inspection, had meeting with neghiboorhood but since so many protesting had to reschedule, had second meeting but due to the outrage had to reschedule, have a final meeting coming up
any help would be great.

Again, it seems like she has put a great deal of effort into starting her business. For you and your neighbors to try to stop her from doing that would be spiteful and unnecessary.
wdmmom 11:08 AM 05-29-2012
About the only thing you can do is to find out if the city has a noise ordinance and the hours it is in effect.

I had a neighbor that loved trimming his hedges at 530am! It only took one call. Noise ordinance was in effect until 7am. He didn't do that again!

I really don't know how much noise you are dealing with at 6am but if it's car doors slamming, it's probably something you're going to have to deal with. Perhaps sleeping with noise filtering drapes, sleeping with the windows closed, etc.

This woman is supporting her family and trying to run a business. I'm sure she doesn't even realize she is upsetting you!
SunshineMama 11:22 AM 05-29-2012
check the date; this thread is 3.5 years old.
Haha- Got me!
Unregistered 09:40 AM 09-24-2012
Okay, guys. I disagree with the inappropriate comments made regarding the lady running the daycare, but I must AGREE with the fact that a neighborhood is no place for a daycare. I live in a neighborhood with a daycare and I am about to use my own money to fight getting the day care out. The parents speed through the neighborhood and even when asked nicely to have respect for neighbors, we are yelled at either by the operator of daycare or by its patrons. Our children cannot play outside due to the traffic. I try to walk in the mornings and have almost been ran over. I am all for everyone making a living but I have to say if you are going to run a business, it should be in a commercial area, not a neighborhood. Period.
Chipmunk 04:04 PM 09-24-2012
Complain to your municipality to get sidewalks put in. The road is for CARS, not for people. Not for kids playing, or people walking.

Perhaps you're being treated with the same attitude you have shown. I don't condone yelling at the neighbors, of course, that is extreme, but you can call the police if you have consistent problems with noise or harassment.

If you have small children and you need daycare, would your rather they be in a home setting in a neighborhood, or a strip mall? I mean, come on. Yes it's a business, but it's a HOME-BASED business.
daycare 04:15 PM 09-24-2012
this is a super old post from 2008????
Chipmunk 04:36 PM 09-24-2012
There's a new post from a new person upset about a different neighborhood daycare in the post above mine, number 41.
Tags:2008, control freak, hoa, parking, rude clients, stepford
Reply Up