Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Providing Care for Neighbors
Unregistered 09:19 AM 04-30-2015
Conflict of interest?
sally 09:24 AM 04-30-2015
In my neighborhood it's not a good idea. I made that mistake. They see that you are home and always figure you are available to watch their kids. When they come home and could pick up but decide to just hang out at home and you and their children can see they are home for hours but don't pick up the kids until the minute of closing time - after a while you get very ticked off.
Unregistered 09:28 AM 04-30-2015
Yes. I was thinking more along the lines of it not working out and then still living next door....
sally 09:36 AM 04-30-2015
I am closing my daycare after 4 years and it will be awkward because I know they will still try to send the kids over "to play" when they really want free care
Blackcat31 09:42 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Conflict of interest?
As long as there are clear well defined boundaries, I don't care where a client lives.

I am one of a small group of providers that has no qualms about taking family, friends and/or neighbors.

I set the stage from DAY 1 (before actually) that there are TWO separate relationships. Business and personal and during business hours, it's client-provider FIRST and friend/neighbor/family- me SECOND.

If things don't work out, I make sure they know it isn't personal but business.

I can draw and maintain that line clearly so it isn't an issue for me
Blackcat31 09:53 AM 04-30-2015
A lot of my clients are neighbors....

It only seems appropriate to seek out care in your own neighborhood....kwim?

Plus having someone you already know and trust is a perk in most situations.
Unregistered 10:15 AM 04-30-2015
I completely agree with the point about seeing your neighbors being home all day while you are watching their kid. Also, my neighbors do some annoying things that I really don't like concerning daycare and I don't have the guts to say anything because we are friends.

It does make sense that people in your neighborhood would want to pick you for care but it is usually a bad idea to care for friends' and neighbors' kids, imo.
CraftyMom 10:15 AM 04-30-2015
I have 3 that live in the neighborhood. One lives 2 streets away, one lives across the street and the other lives several houses down on the same street. It has worked out for me.

It could get awkward if things went bad with the ones across the street since we will see each other daily. But I'm pretty sure they have the mind set that they wouldn't want to have any awkward situations. All 3 families are very respectful and follow all the rules.

Interviews went the same as all others, everyone knew what to expect from day one.

I have charged them all late fees once, so they all know I'm not messing around with late pick ups. None have ever been late again after that once.

It works out well for all of them because it is so convenient. Less time driving around in the morning
Blackcat31 10:18 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I completely agree with the point about seeing your neighbors being home all day while you are watching their kid. Also, my neighbors do some annoying things that I really don't like concerning daycare and I don't have the guts to say anything because we are friends.

It does make sense that people in your neighborhood would want to pick you for care but it is usually a bad idea to care for friends' and neighbors' kids, imo.
.....this is only true if you don't have the guts to enforce your rules/policies.

Child Care is kind of a personal business....more so than any other career field I think.
Annalee 10:21 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I have 3 that live in the neighborhood. One lives 2 streets away, one lives across the street and the other lives several houses down on the same street. It has worked out for me.

It could get awkward if things went bad with the ones across the street since we will see each other daily. But I'm pretty sure they have the mind set that they wouldn't want to have any awkward situations. All 3 families are very respectful and follow all the rules.

Interviews went the same as all others, everyone knew what to expect from day one.

I have charged them all late fees once, so they all know I'm not messing around with late pick ups. None have ever been late again after that once.

It works out well for all of them because it is so convenient. Less time driving around in the morning
If it doesn't work well it is awkward but more so for the client it didn't work for. I terminated a family member once but have kept many kin folks with no problem. I have a family member right now and when we are at family gatherings the one I terminated I am sure notices the parents sending their kids to me to get a hug. The same with neighbors, have kept some that it worked for and one that it didn't but the good will outweigh the bad!
kendallina 10:25 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
As long as there are clear well defined boundaries, I don't care where a client lives.

I am one of a small group of providers that has no qualms about taking family, friends and/or neighbors.

I set the stage from DAY 1 (before actually) that there are TWO separate relationships. Business and personal and during business hours, it's client-provider FIRST and friend/neighbor/family- me SECOND.

If things don't work out, I make sure they know it isn't personal but business.

I can draw and maintain that line clearly so it isn't an issue for me
I agree As long as you can set clear boundaries from the very beginning (and stick to those boundaries), it could work.
lilcupcakes09 11:09 AM 04-30-2015
I actually keep all the kids on our street, only 1 of my 4 families doesn't live on my street. It can be trying at times as the kids sometimes over step their boundaries after hours, but I'm not afraid to handle them. The parents are respectful of my time and often joke about me "being closed so we have to get out". One of my families I have had for 6 years since opening is actually my cousin, she has 4 kids in my care, we are best of friends, and they recently bought the house next door. Our children are growing up together more like siblings and I'm happy about that! It causes more issues with jealously within our family than issues at daycare.
Controlled Chaos 12:34 PM 04-30-2015
I have watched the children of friends, family and neighbors

I start every work relationship explaining that rules are rules. Everyone knows up front there will be no special treatment, late fees apply to everyone. That if it doesn't work for some reason, I have the child's well being as my top priority, if I am not a good fit for their child I will tell them, because I love them. (If it isn't a good fit because the child is HORRIBLE I am good at explaining it in a way that says your child's needs will be met elsewhere so they feel I am only thinking of the child and not my own sanity ). One family I had to term, due to not following policies, still wants to hang out all the time (I politely decline) but the point is they know it isn't personal. Business is business and never personal. If you do it, I would just start the conversation with "I want to be clear that from 7-5 I am your child's daycare provider, not your friend or neighbor. This is for the safety and well being of your child".
DaveA 12:57 PM 04-30-2015
I have one DCF that lives down the street. Providing care for friends/ wife's coworkers/ family/ neighbors can add an extra degree of stress, but only if you let business and personal feeling mix. Before I start care for anyone I make sure they understand my policies and that they are enforced. If it doesn't work then no hard feelings but that's just the business.
DaisyMamma 10:41 AM 05-01-2015
Originally Posted by sally:
In my neighborhood it's not a good idea. I made that mistake. They see that you are home and always figure you are available to watch their kids. When they come home and could pick up but decide to just hang out at home and you and their children can see they are home for hours but don't pick up the kids until the minute of closing time - after a while you get very ticked off.
Happened to me too. So annoying.
Tags:client, clients - neighbor, neighbors
Reply Up