Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those of You with A 24/48 Rule
childcaremom 08:11 AM 12-07-2015
would you mind sharing your wording? I know what it means but am having trouble putting it on paper.

If they are sent home for the 48, still require 24 hours symptom free?

Also, how would you handle if you turned a child away at the door due to illness? 24 or 48?

Any other scenarios I should think of?
Blackcat31 08:43 AM 12-07-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
would you mind sharing your wording? I know what it means but am having trouble putting it on paper.

If they are sent home for the 48, still require 24 hours symptom free?

They are sent home until they have been symptom free for 48 hours....might take 3 days before that happens...

Also, how would you handle if you turned a child away at the door due to illness? 24 or 48?

If they are turned away at the door, I would use the 48 hour rule because a parent tried to pull a fast one. At the door or after lunch, they still showed up and got sent home FROM care...kwim?

Any other scenarios I should think of?
I replied in blue above too..

Here is how it reads in my handbook:

Children need to be symptom free for a FULL 24 hours without the use of OTC medications before re-admittance to care.

Please use your best discretion when deciding whether or not to send your child to care. We are very active during the day.

If your child is unable to participate in normal daily activities or requires more care and attention than the provider is able to give, they should not attend.

In an effort to reduce the continuation of germs and illnesses being passed back and forth your child will be excluded for 48 hours AFTER symptoms dissipate if they have been sent to care when ill. This policy is strictly followed and requires parental observation and assessment at home BEFORE deciding to bring your child to care.

rosieteddy 08:45 AM 12-07-2015
I always used the -a full day fever medication free.Ever since a parent brought their child at 3 pm for the last 3 hours of the day.They claimed that 24 hours were up ,Dad needed a break.
childcaremom 09:01 AM 12-07-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I replied in blue above too..

Here is how it reads in my handbook:

Children need to be symptom free for a FULL 24 hours without the use of OTC medications before re-admittance to care.

Please use your best discretion when deciding whether or not to send your child to care. We are very active during the day.

If your child is unable to participate in normal daily activities or requires more care and attention than the provider is able to give, they should not attend.

In an effort to reduce the continuation of germs and illnesses being passed back and forth your child will be excluded for 48 hours AFTER symptoms dissipate if they have been sent to care when ill. This policy is strictly followed and requires parental observation and assessment at home BEFORE deciding to bring your child to care.
Symptom free for 48? Wow. Guess I didn't understand it. I would have just had them home for at least 48 and symptom free for 24.

How do you monitor that, though? I guess the same way with 24 exclusion.

I am guessing it just puts the ball in the parents' court to be more proactive in keeping sick children home. Which is what I am aiming for.

Makes sense, though, because if we are sending home for an illness that 'starts' here, generally it takes more than a day for the worst of it to pass.
childcaremom 09:02 AM 12-07-2015
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I always used the -a full day fever medication free.Ever since a parent brought their child at 3 pm for the last 3 hours of the day.They claimed that 24 hours were up ,Dad needed a break.
I don't even have a response for that.
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 12-07-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Symptom free for 48? Wow. Guess I didn't understand it. I would have just had them home for at least 48 and symptom free for 24.

How do you monitor that, though? I guess the same way with 24 exclusion.

I am guessing it just puts the ball in the parents' court to be more proactive in keeping sick children home. Which is what I am aiming for.

Makes sense, though, because if we are sending home for an illness that 'starts' here, generally it takes more than a day for the worst of it to pass.
BINGO!!!!

Like I am always saying I am big on parental responsibilities and provider responsibilities and I rarely let the two blur.

If your (general you) child is sick, 99% of the time you (as the parent) know full well if you should send them to care or not.

I used to get a ton of "Well I thought we'd see if he could make it through the day" type of stuff.... really?!?
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 12-07-2015
It's another reason I don't serve breakfast here and require the kids to have had breakfast at home before arriving.

Our first snack of the day is at 9

Doing it that way forces the parent to get up, feed their kid and while doing that, assess their child for behavior, mood and anything else that may exclude them from care.

I got tired of getting kids straight from their beds with hardly a diaper change.
childcaremom 09:14 AM 12-07-2015
Thanks! I am switching this up in the New Year.
daycare 09:21 AM 12-07-2015
I had a parent try that. I too had to change it to read your child will be excluded from care the next following day all day and can return when completely free of all symptoms without the aid of mediation.
Rockgirl 09:50 AM 12-07-2015
I wish I could say this is shocking, but sadly, it isn't.
MunchkinWrangler 12:08 PM 12-07-2015
Great tips! I've been looking for a revamp in my sick policies and I am updating them soon. I have new dck's coming from homes with nannies and I have to make it clear that sick care is not in my job description.
Tags:sick policy
Reply Up