Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toy Guarding
Hunni Bee 11:57 AM 09-25-2018
My group skewed very young this year.

My youngest is turning 4 tomorrow. He had a few issues with speech, processing, emotional regulation etc in addition to being pretty immature. Most of his issues are easily managed.

He still displays a lot of dumping, guarding, and parallel play behaviors. He guards toys not just from someone trying to take it, but of anyone gets even near him. He does this deep growly "staaahhhhppp". It literally looks like a dog guarding food. The thing is, the other kids will have their backs to him, not remotely interested in his stuff. But if they scoot top close to his stack of Lego's that he builds everyday, he loses it.

And of course if someone else gets to the Lego's first or doesn't let him get the pieces he wants, he also loses it.

Help?
Cat Herder 12:16 PM 09-25-2018
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
And of course if someone else gets to the Lego's first or doesn't let him get the pieces he wants, he also loses it. Help?
For me, then today he plays with blocks, not Legos Also Julia Cook books help introduce the topic at circle time with with humor. http://www.juliacookonline.com/asset...and_topics.pdf

I like to attribute certain issues with certain puppets in the room (ala sesame street) so later I can pick them up and get my point across without interrupting play. I look at them, point to the puppet and wink. A *slow down* indicator that they understand, and often giggle about. We make up stories with their "theme" that correlates with whatever issue we are currently dealing with.
Meeko 12:30 PM 09-26-2018
I make sure that my daycare kids know that the toys aren't their's. Every child is taught that every single toy belongs to me. I am willing to share with them as long as they are nice.

The second anyone tries the "mine" thing...they lose that toy.
coloradoprovider 03:38 PM 09-28-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I make sure that my daycare kids know that the toys aren't their's. Every child is taught that every single toy belongs to me. I am willing to share with them as long as they are nice.

The second anyone tries the "mine" thing...they lose that toy.
Yep! I usually let them know that I'm sharing my toys and they must share. I define sharing as letting someone else play with a toy that I'm not using. If someone wants a particular toy they are coached on how to request, but the child with a particular toy can say no - when I'm finished with it. If the toys are part of a large set (such as blocks), I help them with sharing a part of that set. No hoarding allowed. If a child is hoarding (not letting anyone play with a toy that they were finished with) they are reminded that the toys are mine and they should be kind to others.
Tags:lesson plans
Reply Up