Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Would You Handle An 18 Month Old Non Stop Crier?
Unregistered 08:27 AM 11-05-2013
I am a registered member but I am having trouble with my account! I just need some advice on how you all would handle an 18 month old who whines/cries all the time. I think he is doing it to try to gain control. Some of it may be separation anxiety but for the most part I believe he just wants to be held or carried. I haven't had a child this age before my others are two and up. When they cry or whine I deal with it by actively ignoring, or re directing, or in extreme cases time outs. At 18 months will these methods work on him too? Please help!
CrackerJacks 08:37 AM 11-05-2013
How long have you been watching the child?
Heidi 08:41 AM 11-05-2013
My first question was how long have you had him?

2nd question, is he getting enough sleep? 18 months is sort of the borderline for 2 naps for some kids, especially if they're getting up at the crack of dawn to be at daycare.

If the answer is yes to both of those, yes, treat it just like an older child. If you are who I think you are, I know you'll do it kindly.
Unregistered 08:41 AM 11-05-2013
Thanks for the reply. He has been with me for About two weeks. So I know part of it is an adjustment period, but he's went to two other dayhomes and was asks to leave because of the crying. I am hoping to get it under control before it wears too much on everyone. I want to make it work for this family.
Unregistered 08:44 AM 11-05-2013
His mom insists he is giving up his naps, which I don't agree with. He seems tired to me but cries all through nap time and doesn't sleep. He arrives around 8:30. And for the record he doesn't cry as much as whine or tantrum. There is no tears!
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 11-05-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am a registered member but I am having trouble with my account!!
I sent you an email password/username reminder. Hopefully you are able to log in successfully.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I just need some advice on how you all would handle an 18 month old who whines/cries all the time. I think he is doing it to try to gain control. Some of it may be separation anxiety but for the most part I believe he just wants to be held or carried. I haven't had a child this age before my others are two and up. When they cry or whine I deal with it by actively ignoring, or re directing, or in extreme cases time outs. At 18 months will these methods work on him too? Please help!
I am currently transitioning a DCK the same age with the same issues. DCK was termed from another care place for crying and wanting to be held ALL the time.

In my situation, what works when I transition toddlers is for the adult to go to their level at ALL times. Have parents do the same at home.

Child can engage in and have as much attention as they want but it needs to be done ON THE FLOOR. Picking them up and carrying them around gives them the false sense that they NEED to be "up there" in the adult world.

They belong and need to learn to thrive in "their world" which is at floor level.

ANY time child wants to be picked up, I immediately sit. They can sit on my lap, play with me and converse but ONLY on the floor.

I am currently on week 2 and honestly since day 1, it has been NOTHING but improvements. I have asked parents to do the same at home. Not that they can never hold their child but just for right now until the child learns that ALL life happens at floor level at this age. kwim?

Parents can spend the whole night interacting with their child but if they do it on the floor, the child learns to feel safe and secure, thus will begin to explore on their own...

Parents are also seeing a lot of progress at home too.

HTH
Unregistered 09:05 AM 11-05-2013
Thank you Blackcat for your help and ideas! I am going to try exactly what you suggested starting...... right now! wish me luck! I will report back lol have a great day!
Tags:clinging, constant attention, crying, whining
Reply Up