Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Planning to Not Provide Lunch
Movingforward 02:01 PM 06-24-2016
Hi all, I'm pregnant and will go on maternity leave but will still have my teachers run the program. During that time (and maybe even forever haha) I want to cut out providing lunch for the dcks. How should I let the parents know? Actually I'm just worried about one particular family that just signed on recently. They might get upset and things would get tense.
rosieteddy 01:47 PM 06-27-2016
I think it would be hard to stop providing lunch.Will you deduct any cost from tuition? If not I would wait until you plan on renewing your contract.Then you could give a two week notice and say something like" instead of raising tuition I will no longer provide lunches starting x date". You could use the excuse that Parents like to be in charge of what food their child is eating through the day.It is hard to find food every child is happy with.Then you would have to send home a list of acceptable foods for parents to choose from. This can also be a pain Good luck.
renodeb 04:15 PM 06-27-2016
I agree with Rosie. If your newest family signed on under the existing agreement they may get mad if its changed so quick.
Deb
JackandJill 05:12 PM 06-27-2016
I stopped serving food here, I could not stand the food program I was a part of! I gave my parents a two week notice that I would no longer be providing lunch, but that the childcare cost would not be changing since the food program was not covered by the tuition. I never had any parents complain, since it was nicely explained in a letter.

I did have two families leave shortly after that, but I don't think the food was the only reason. I made a lot of changes to avoid burn out, so I was anticipating people needing to find a better fit after all the changes.

I think its always best to do what works for you. Even if you lose a family or two, the next family will be looking for exactly what you are offering and happily sign on!
AmyKidsCo 05:48 PM 06-27-2016
Originally Posted by Movingforward:
Hi all, I'm pregnant and will go on maternity leave but will still have my teachers run the program. During that time (and maybe even forever haha) I want to cut out providing lunch for the dcks. How should I let the parents know? Actually I'm just worried about one particular family that just signed on recently. They might get upset and things would get tense.
Dear Parents,

As of (date) the program's lunch program will be discontinued/suspended (Depending if it's permanent or temporary). Parents will be responsible for providing a lunch for their child daily. (Add any other info, like whether it must be a cold lunch or if you're willing to reheat foods, if there will be a fee reduction, etc.) If temporary, add The lunch program will resume on (date).

Thank you for your support!

Signed, (you)
WAHMderful_Life 07:48 AM 06-28-2016
I dont understand that parents that expect lunch and that its a deal breaker. I for one would rather have my provider watching the kids not worrying about making a healthy lunch.

I don't provide lunch. Im not sure what to say in a letter but looks like others have covered that.

if anyone complains though here are some things you can tell them.

1. You feel that parents should play a bigger part in their children's nutrition. basically they should have the choice of what they want to feed their children as long as its healthy choices. (I allow one treat and they can have it after they eat their healthy food). They also know better what their children would like to eat there for they are more likely to eat lunch instead of going hungry.

2. Making a healthy lunch is to time consuming as you are the only one watching the children and prefer a quicker method that doesn't distract you from keeping a better eye on the children.

3.Larger centres that have lunch programs have a chef that does not have the responsibility of watching the children at the same time.

4. It really doesn't take long to put a lunch together the night before maybe 5 min. you can provide a list of ideas for them. also I find kids love the surprise of whats in their lunch kit.
Unregistered 08:05 AM 06-28-2016
I had parents provide lunches while I utilized a substitute after surgery. I provided very basic snacks, which could also be used for lunch if parents forgot occasionally.
I presented it as a temporary situation and went back to normal a couple of weeks after I started back to work.
No reduction of fees and no one complained. I think they were just glad that they didn't have to arrange alternate care.
Pestle 02:46 PM 06-28-2016
I have my own child in my day care and she has food allergies, so I have a "no outside food except for formula" policy. I thought providing meals would be stressful, but since I'm doing it for my daughter anyway, it turns out not to be that difficult. In fact, I like having every kid eat the same meal, since that reduces fighting/reaching into each other's plates.
LysesKids 04:43 PM 06-28-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I have my own child in my day care and she has food allergies, so I have a "no outside food except for formula" policy. I thought providing meals would be stressful, but since I'm doing it for my daughter anyway, it turns out not to be that difficult. In fact, I like having every kid eat the same meal, since that reduces fighting/reaching into each other's plates.
That's why I provide food too... allergies, but since I am infants thru young toddlers, I also want to avoid someone wanting what the other has. These ages are mine mine mine ya know lol.

Besides even if you aren't on the food program you can take the IRS set amounts as deductions for meals you do provide on taxes. Last year was a hefty junk off and yeah, I don't provide formula (most of my clients send EBM)
WAHMderful_Life 07:46 PM 06-28-2016
I have never had any issues with children being jealous/wanting or trying to take each others food. Never saw an issue with it when I worked in a big centre either that required a packed lunch.
Pestle 02:39 PM 06-29-2016
Originally Posted by WAHMderful_Life:
I have never had any issues with children being jealous/wanting or trying to take each others food. Never saw an issue with it when I worked in a big centre either that required a packed lunch.
I have a child I would really like to loan you.
LysesKids 03:10 PM 06-29-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I have a child I would really like to loan you.
I've got 2 more that could go along with yours lol.
Movingforward 01:05 PM 06-30-2016
I can't afford a tuition reduction because I'll be hiring another teacher to replace me during my leave. I'm just hoping they will understand as a parent how tiring it would be for me with a newborn. In fact it was actually a parent that brought up the idea to me about cutting out lunch since she thought it would help me get more rest.
On the bright side, I do think parents would like to have control over what their child eats. Half of them bring their own food. I'm giving them plenty of time to adjust to the change since I won't be going on my maternity leave till September.
We'll see how this plays out. Wish me luck!
Movingforward 01:44 PM 07-27-2016
Just an update, I talked to all the parents privately and made it official in our newsletter that I will no longer provide lunch. All the parents were very understanding and supportive. Thank goodness! Thanks for all your advices!
Tags:lunch
Reply Up