Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do About This Interview?
Angelwings36 05:56 AM 01-22-2013
So I had an interview with a family last night and I am not sure if I should proceed further. I felt I seen many red flags in the interview and I’m leaning towards telling dcm that I will not be able to accept her children into care but I would like other inputs on the red flags before I make a final decision. The space would be for a 12 month old boy full time and a 5 year old Kindergarten girl every second day.

1. The interview started out with dcm telling me that she has been with their current provider for the past 4 years and their reason for wanting to switch is so that she could get her daughter into the busing zone for the school she is enrolled in. However, dcm started the interview by telling me a pile of things that she didn’t like about her previous provider of 4 years. At one point she had mentioned that one of the things that she strongly disliked is that the provider made all the children in her care have a nap/rest period and the children who were in quiet time were not permitted to do activities but that cartoons were put on for them if they didn’t fall asleep. I stopped dcm in her tracks here as I also do the same. I have it in my contract that all children in childcare must have a rest period. If a child is no longer napping and they will not follow my quiet time rules on a regular basis then the child has grown out of my program and it is time to seek care within another childcare home. I do not provide activities for the children over quiet time and I do have the cartoons on for the children who do not fall asleep. This is my time to get my stuff done during the day and my only break and I am not willing to give that up. There was a period of silence after I made this clear and then dcm continues to say that she doesn’t want her children having a nap or quiet time after the age of 3 as they should be up and about and doing activities through out the whole day. I honestly was ready to end the interview at this point.
2. Dcm asks me about my illness policy. I told her that I will accept children with a minor cold but anything above that the children would be excluded. Dcm then asks me if her child had a fever would I try to give the child tylenol to see if the fever came down before I called her. My mouth almost dropped!! I explained to dcm that I would not give the children tylenol to see if a fever came down as tylenol doesn’t cure a fever it masks a fever and that children must be 24 hours unmedicated fever free before returning to care.
3. Dcm then asks me if I sanitize the toys that the children play with on a regular basis, I responded with yes I do. Then dcm continues to tell me that whenever she went to visit her previous provider her 12 month old son (likely younger during some of the visits) would end up with a cold following the visit and she believes this is because the previous provider didn’t sanitize the toys.
4. Over the course of our visit dcm talked frequently about visiting her previous provider and I do not allow parent visits.
5. Towards the end of our interview my alarm went off signaling that my 30 minutes that I dedicate to each individual interview was up so I told dcm that we would have to wrap things up as I had another interview coming this evening and that she could go home and read through the booklet that I provided her with and I would touch base with her this week. Dcm then says, “Oh! We are in competition with other families for this space?” Well DUH I thought! So I said yes I do interview several families for the same space so I can find a family that best suits my program. Dcm then informs me that she will get ahold of me right away the next morning (this morning) as I was their only interview and they can not find anyone else in the busing zone to take their children.

What would you do in this situation? Would you tell dcm when she emails that you do not feel that your program is the best fit for her family? Would you tell her why (or part of why you feel this way)? Would you tell dcm you already accepted another family? Would you try to take the family on and see how it goes?

Input appreciated...

Thanks.
daycarediva 06:14 AM 01-22-2013
YIKES! I wouldn't accept them. If/when Mom responds I would reply with 'I am still conducting interviews for this spot and will let you know by X (date)'. Then on/before that date I would send her a quick GENERIC email stating that you have decided to go with another family and wish them the best of luck finding child care arrangements that met their needs. Include the local resource and referral office number.

If she responds further, I MIGHT venture to say that because you have similar policies as their current provider you don't think your program is a good fit for them at this time.
PolkaTots 06:16 AM 01-22-2013
Personally, unless you need this family financially, I would pass...

I've dealt with all of those red flags with parents, and have had serious issues that eventually led to termination.

On the issue of the parent drop in...I don't allow it either. Although I do have an open door policy...frequent unnanounced drop ins show lack of trust with a parent, and I will not work for someone who does not trust me with their child. Once, I had a parent wanting to come here and play with her child on breaks and it was so disruptive to the other children, and their child was an absolute mess when they left. I do allow them to pick them up and take them to a park or out to lunch on their break, but don't allow it here. Really, anyone that is going to be spending a significant amount of time around the daycare children anyway is going to need a background check
NeedaVaca 06:16 AM 01-22-2013
Yikes! LOTS of red flags...I wouldn't take her and I would just say you don't feel it will be a good fit for your program.
Meyou 06:21 AM 01-22-2013
I would pass for sure.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
What would you do in this situation? Would you tell dcm when she emails that you do not feel that your program is the best fit for her family? Would you tell her why (or part of why you feel this way)? Would you tell dcm you already accepted another family? Would you try to take the family on and see how it goes?

Input appreciated...

Thanks.
NEXT!!!!!!!!

Dear DCM

Thank you for your interest in my child care program.

At this time, I will not be able to accept you into care as I feel that I am not the right fit for your family's needs.

I am including the number to the local Child Care Resource & Referal office to aid you in finding care that suits your specific needs.

I wish you the best in your search.

Sincerely

Provider

That is what I would say. She wants way too many things you do not provide. You are NOT the right fit for her and your instincts are spot on. If she continues to e-mail you, either ignore her or keep sending the same e-mail back to her. (I have a feeling she isn't going to go quietly )
WDW 07:04 AM 01-22-2013
I also would not take this family. The naptime thing alone would be a dealbreaker for me, not to mention all the other red flags.
AnneCordelia 07:06 AM 01-22-2013
I would absolutely and unequivocally PASS.
Sugar Magnolia 07:13 AM 01-22-2013
Her top priority is the bus, not your policies. Or your program. Sad. I would decline.
Twinvillageiowa 07:22 AM 01-22-2013
Run!!!!! She will never be happy. She already knows you have similar policies to her old provider. She really wants to get on that bus!
MarinaVanessa 07:26 AM 01-22-2013
If you really do have other interviews for this spot I would continue to hold your interviews and if this mom calls you today I would explain to her that you are not finished conducting your interviews but that when you are finished with your interviews and when you have made your decision all families will be contacted. This way you don't have to feel rushed into anything and you can think about it some.

All in all I think that your initial gut feeling from the red flags was dead on. Like others said, unless you need the income and you aren't getting any other interviews then and only then would even consider taking this family on. Even then I would only take them on after sitting down with mom again and discussing the issues that I was concerned with (all of the things she didn't like about her last daycare that are similar to yours) and extend her trial period (usually 2-4 weeks) to be like 3 months or something. I would explain that all of my policies should be followed otherwise she should keep looking because if she does not follow them or if she tries to argue them then I would be forced to terminate.

I just see so many potential problems though that I'd just pass her up.
CedarCreek 07:48 AM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Her top priority is the bus, not your policies. Or your program. Sad. I would decline.
Exactly. She would be a trouble maker for sure.
renodeb 12:36 PM 01-22-2013
I would RUN!! Red flags now mean red flags latter on to.
Deb
mbullette 05:12 PM 01-22-2013
I would not take this family. If she is already telling you what she wants and doesn't want you are only going to have problems. There are red flags all over that interview and I wouldnt give them the time of day.
Willow 05:25 PM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:

I agree.

If she asks you for details after a generic emailed response like BC came up with I'd let her know you simply don't see eye to eye on the naptime issue and cannot accommodate her individual request to keep her kids up.
Familycare71 06:46 PM 01-22-2013
Every time I have sensed red flags and ignored them I was proven right! I agree if you don't need them financially decline-
And btw I have the same policy for naps! I couldn't give up that time and I refuse to make kids stay awake and miserable for their parents convience!
wdmmom 06:57 PM 01-22-2013
The best way I've come up with to ward off a client you don't want isn't to tell them they aren't a good fit, just tell them anther family you interviewed provided a security deposit and that the opening(s) are no longer available.
canadiancare 06:38 AM 01-23-2013
If you can financially manage it I would keep looking for that better fit. Especially if you are going to be using a spot every other day that you could, potentially give to a full time child.

I am horrible at this but as my husband reminds me I am self-employed and I am the one in control of who my clients are.
Tags:interview, interview - red flag, red flag
Reply Up