Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who in this Forum is in a "Closing Countdown"?
lolaland 05:46 AM 03-14-2013
Just wondering, from all of you participating in this forum, who is as me closing their home daycare? Who can share with me their experience/fellings/the-good-&-the-uggly of this waiting countdown? A venting thread about the before/during/after of reaching this decision and living this situation.

I would also like to hear from the ones that already are closed. How has been "life after daycare"?

Also, is anyone "secretely" contemplating the possibility of reaching this same decision? Why?
bunnyslippers 06:04 AM 03-14-2013
I am in the countdown of ALL countdowns! I am closing on the last day of school (June 24th). I have 66 more days of daycare. It can't end fast enough for me. Every day that I wake up, I am just counting the minutes until the day is over. I have had it with most of my DCPs. They are all great people, but just keep pushing my limits. They all know I am closing, so they don't really care if they push too much...we all know it is coming to a close.

For me, the hardest part of the decision is that I will be rejoining the workforce (teaching) and so my 3 year old will be going to preschool. I can't imagine him going, but I also know he is ready for some time away from his home and his mama. He is turning into as much of a shut-in as me, and really hates the daycare kids. He is ready for some independence (sniff sniff).

My husband can't wait to close. We all are tired of people traipsing in and out of our house, calling during family time, commenting on the state of our home/kids/life, etc. We are so ready for the house to be OUR house again. We moved into our home in March of 2008, and opened the daycare in August of 2008. From the second we moved in, it has been daycare daycare daycare. We finished our basement for the daycare. We have such huge plans about what we will do with that space!

I can't wait for the consistency of a real paycheck, not having to count on other people to make sure my finances are in order, and the safety net of having a team of people to work with. I can't wait to care about what I look like again, wear shoes, and socialize with co-workers and not people who view me as their employee.

I can't wait for the day when I can pick my kids up from school and give them my FULL attention. I can't wait for all of it.

I am scared about getting back into the world. I have been out of it for 5 years, and I don't get out much. I am scared that my teaching skills are a bit rusty (I teach special ed). Otherwise, there is nothing but excitement!!!!!
lolaland 06:14 AM 03-14-2013
Bunnyslippers... I cried reading every/each sentence of your reply. I'm still crying. I see myself in every one of your words (except I don't have yet a job to get back to the world) . Thank you for sharing
Evansmom 06:17 AM 03-14-2013
I have a 3 year plan

My middle child will be graduating HS in 3 years and my youngest will be 8. We are homeschooling the youngest and not beginning any traditional curriculum until that age so it works out. I want to quit doing child care all together by then but I will probably still be offering homeschoolers classes, workshops and camps. But that way I won't be working every single day for 11 hours! Which will be very nice!

Also I'm in talks with some local teachers about collaborating to start up a charter school so if that pans out I'll be involved with starting up the preschool portion of it. Reggio influenced of course

We are working toward downsizing our house, possibly building a 500 sq ft micro house where we have almost zero monthly bills. And also learning gardening and researching sustainable living so we can save money and be more self sufficient so that will be handy bc we will be able to live just off one income. We should be able to do that now but Austin is so expensive!

I love teaching so I'll still be doing that the rest if my life. Just not home daycare.
Binkybobo 06:19 AM 03-14-2013
My last day was Friday. I moved over the weekend, an dhave been enjoying my new life. I have been watching my sister's children this week, but only this week. The difference is amazing. I would have never been able to unpack and organize with daycare kids here. It took me 3 days to organize the kitchen. I blasted the radio as my kids used the stairs like a slide to race their cousins to the bottom. I never could have done that with daycare kids. My nerves would be frazzled. I am still a dc provider at heart. I notice the way I plan, schedule, and serve the kids snack and lunch has not changed. I was a bit lost at the grocery store. I couldn't stop myself from buying enough fruit for 20 people. I'll figure out how to shop like a normal person again I suppose. I will go back to my job as a preschool enrichment teacher in the Fall. I have to get out of the house. This job allows me to get off by noon. I plan to do SA before and after care. I don't think I can handle having preschoolers in my home again for a long time. How is your countdown going?
mama0609 06:29 AM 03-14-2013
Me! Me! Me! I will be done next Friday! I started my daycare last May and it was something I always wanted to do. I was really excited to be able to be at home with my kids and still make some money. I quickly realized that this is not the job for me! Oh man! I started with two school agers for the summer, a full time 2yr old and a part time 18 mo plus my own 6 and 3 yo. I had to term the SA after only two weeks because I could not handle them. Then it got a lot better and I enjoyed it for a bit. Then one of my families gradually started picking up later and later due to work hours changing and stupid me didn't say anything just let it fester until I couldn't handle it anymore. I got tired of being stuck at home until 5:30-5:45 every evening. I knew I did not want to be stuck at home all summer long so I decided I had to close for my sanity. I am very fortunate that we will be able to swing just having me SAH until we get our youngest in kindergarten in a year and a half. Fingers crossed. I actually applied and interviewed for a job back at my old office but DH and I really do not want to have to pay daycare with me making so little, when I worked I basically worked for free after daycare and gas getting there and back. Anyway, I am counting down the days and it is finally within sight!
bunnyslippers 06:31 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by lolaland:
Bunnyslippers... I cried reading every/each sentence of your reply. I'm still crying. I see myself in every one of your words (except I don't have yet a job to get back to the world) . Thank you for sharing
Do you have a plan to close? I know how hard it is. I don't actually HAVE a job yet, I just know that I will find one. Interviews start next month or so. I am glad you can relate to my feelings. It helps to know there are others who feel like you do ~
Candy 07:24 AM 03-14-2013
What are you guys going to do with all of your daycare stuff?
bunnyslippers 07:36 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Candy:
Some of it I will take with me to my new teaching job. Most of it will be sold. I have a TON of stuff, so we are going to have a huge yard sale (hoping to make at least a little bit of money from it). I am going to advertise it on Craig' List. We have a ton of baby stuff, too, so we should have quite a collection of stuff to sell. I can't wait for that day, too!!!!!! So excited!!!!!!!
MsLaura529 10:20 AM 03-14-2013
Those of you planning to close soon ... any from MI so that I can come check out your stuff you'll be selling?
Unregistered 11:11 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I am in the countdown of ALL countdowns! I am closing on the last day of school (June 24th). I have 66 more days of daycare. It can't end fast enough for me. Every day that I wake up, I am just counting the minutes until the day is over. I have had it with most of my DCPs. They are all great people, but just keep pushing my limits. They all know I am closing, so they don't really care if they push too much...we all know it is coming to a close.

For me, the hardest part of the decision is that I will be rejoining the workforce (teaching) and so my 3 year old will be going to preschool. I can't imagine him going, but I also know he is ready for some time away from his home and his mama. He is turning into as much of a shut-in as me, and really hates the daycare kids. He is ready for some independence (sniff sniff).

My husband can't wait to close. We all are tired of people traipsing in and out of our house, calling during family time, commenting on the state of our home/kids/life, etc. We are so ready for the house to be OUR house again. We moved into our home in March of 2008, and opened the daycare in August of 2008. From the second we moved in, it has been daycare daycare daycare. We finished our basement for the daycare. We have such huge plans about what we will do with that space!

I can't wait for the consistency of a real paycheck, not having to count on other people to make sure my finances are in order, and the safety net of having a team of people to work with. I can't wait to care about what I look like again, wear shoes, and socialize with co-workers and not people who view me as their employee.

I can't wait for the day when I can pick my kids up from school and give them my FULL attention. I can't wait for all of it.

I am scared about getting back into the world. I have been out of it for 5 years, and I don't get out much. I am scared that my teaching skills are a bit rusty (I teach special ed). Otherwise, there is nothing but excitement!!!!!
I was going to post but this is exactly what I would have wrote... We are in very similar situations. However I will not return to work for at least a couple years.
MNMommy2 12:26 PM 03-14-2013
June 6, 2014 So, quite a countdown still.

I am hoping to keep one of my families if they are up for it, I think they will be. I have SO MANY things that I am looking forward to!! DH is more excited than I am, I think. He want our house back so bad.

When I look at pictures of hte house before daycare it was always so nice. Everything is now trashed and I can't wait to fix/replace!
lindysmiles 12:32 PM 03-14-2013

This! Except my last day with be June 6th. It has been great, and really good for my family, however my kids are now older and not fans of the daycare, and I was approached for a part-time RN job that will almost double my current income and require 24 hours per week instead of current 50 hours. I cannot friggin' wait. I also am nervous about getting back out there as I'm sure my nursing skills are rusty, and I know it will stink to commute in cold weather / have the morning rush again. I cannot wait to get all the daycare stuff out of my house - it's completely taken over my first floor - and for our family to have living space again. I love my DCK's, but it is time to think of my family first and use my education again / return to my first career love. I was just offered this job a few days ago, so have not yet told my families. I think I will do so next Friday which will give 10 weeks notice. I'm dreading the telling them part! How'd it go for you, bunnyslippers?
jenn 01:10 PM 03-14-2013
Me! As soon as I win the lottery! Congrats to those of you moving on to different things. I wish you the best!
DaycareMom 01:22 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
Me! As soon as I win the lottery! Congrats to those of you moving on to different things. I wish you the best!
Same Here!
justgettingstarted 01:26 PM 03-14-2013
TODAY is my last day, woohoo! Although I feel like I've been closed for a week. I have just one dcg this week and she is super sweet and easy and I will miss her a lot. Plus I already suspended my license so I havent had to worry about keeping doors locked or putting away the handsoap. If I weren't 40 weeks pregnant I'd be doing a happy dance

I've been slowly selling stuff on CL but am keeping most things for DS and my new DD (if she ever decides to be born!). I only did daycare for 1.5 years and I had wonderful families so its been a great experience but I definitely want my house bck and am looking forward to working just 2 days per week. DS has adjusted xvery well to preschool and my mom and MIL are anxious to watch the baby after my maternity leave. Everything has worked out so well I really could not be happier!
bunnyslippers 01:40 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by lindysmiles:
This! Except my last day with be June 6th. It has been great, and really good for my family, however my kids are now older and not fans of the daycare, and I was approached for a part-time RN job that will almost double my current income and require 24 hours per week instead of current 50 hours. I cannot friggin' wait. I also am nervous about getting back out there as I'm sure my nursing skills are rusty, and I know it will stink to commute in cold weather / have the morning rush again. I cannot wait to get all the daycare stuff out of my house - it's completely taken over my first floor - and for our family to have living space again. I love my DCK's, but it is time to think of my family first and use my education again / return to my first career love. I was just offered this job a few days ago, so have not yet told my families. I think I will do so next Friday which will give 10 weeks notice. I'm dreading the telling them part! How'd it go for you, bunnyslippers?
They were all very supportive. When I opened, I let everyone know this was not a lifetime deal for me. I have always planned on teaching again, once my children were old enough. That being said...since I have told them all, they have definitely started to slide a little with following my rules. It is annoying, but just further validates my closing. I figure we all know it is coming to a close, so we are all sort of slacking. I know I have slacked a bit on my end, too. Can't WAIT!
Binkybobo 02:06 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Candy:
I sold it all on Craigslist. I priced everything to sell, and got rid of it in about 1 week.
Unregistered 02:12 PM 03-14-2013
Logging in unregistered.

I would love to quit. I have been doing fcc for over 20 years. I so want my home back and think this year may be the time. I am losing most of my group to school this fall. Don't want to start over with families again. BUT I don't know how to replace this income. It is too good. i would have to take a paycut and can't do that with 2 of my own in high school.

For those of you that have quit, what will you be doing now and can I ask if and how much of a cut in pay you had to take?
Scout 02:32 PM 03-14-2013

Do you feel your stress level going down? I hope this will help your health! It sounds like a good choice for you!
crazydaycarelady 02:38 PM 03-14-2013
In my dream world I will be done with this at the end of 2014. Don't know if it will happen then or not.
bunnyslippers 03:31 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
Do you feel your stress level going down? I hope this will help your health! It sounds like a good choice for you!
I do feel the stress level going down. One of the deciding factors for us was that IF I get sick again, we will be able to have disability insurance covered through my new school system, as well as PAID sick/personal days (usually 15 per year). The stress of wondering IF I get sick, how do we pay our bills was overwhelming this past year. Now we know that I have coverage just in case, and it is a huge relief.

I love how supportive all of you are ~ I won't be leaving this forum when I go back to work and close down. I will just offer advice instead of my own issues.
bunnyslippers 03:31 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Logging in unregistered.

I would love to quit. I have been doing fcc for over 20 years. I so want my home back and think this year may be the time. I am losing most of my group to school this fall. Don't want to start over with families again. BUT I don't know how to replace this income. It is too good. i would have to take a paycut and can't do that with 2 of my own in high school.

For those of you that have quit, what will you be doing now and can I ask if and how much of a cut in pay you had to take?
I will be making more, and will also be paying back into the teacher retirement system. Win-Win for me!
Unregistered 03:41 PM 03-14-2013
I will be making more, and will also be paying back into the teacher retirement system. Win-Win for me!
I have 7 kids I watch full time. There is no way I would make the same. I guess after all my deductions maybe, but so much of what we can deduct is normal ordinary things that we would be paying for either way. I find with dc I have more disposable income. I don'tknow, wish I had a big degree or something to fall back on.
I do love early childhood, but think something at another level, maybe training is where I need to be now. Just not as fulfilling as it was when I started and my own kids were little.
Unregistered 03:50 PM 03-14-2013
I am now down to three days a week, with only one amazing, funny, well-behaved child.. although it will be two after her mom has the new baby this fall/winter. (Not including my own two). I am happy with this.
jen 04:33 PM 03-14-2013
I am 1.5 years post daycare!!! I was a provider for 10 years and while there was much of it I loved, there was a lot that drove me nuts. My whole family is SO much happier. I am working in education, graduating in April with a Master's degree in teaching special education. LOVE it!
lolaland 07:25 AM 03-15-2013
Oh my… where to start??! For now I will only describe the “Before Reaching the Decision”.

Before reaching the decision to close – Quit my job when could not found a nice daycare for my newborn/my child turned 2/I felt morally obliged to get a job/I open the daycare in our first floor apartment/spent a little fortune turning the apartment to my dream daycare/ sign a contract with Citizens for Citizens because I could not find kids to enroll in my new daycare/State families were a bad crowd- rude and sloppy and spent their lives in courts and being chased by Child Protection Services and running from husbands or husbands running from wives and moving constantly their addresses as if being kicked out God knows why/our mortgage is high and when we tried to refinance we were denied because we had a business in one of the apartments (daycare) and we could not refinance until we close daycare or turn that apartment into a business status/EEC was very clear that if we changed the apartment status to business instead of residency I was no longer able to legally operate a in home daycare in that space/because of my income our health insurance went from 300 a month to 1000 and very high copayments (I haven’t gone to the doctor or make any repair needed at the dentist since I open daycare)/my husband is self-employed as a landscaper and with my daycare income our quarterly taxes went up so ridiculysly that took us several months to overcome the shock/I was overwhelmed with work and my daughter was going to start pre-K and I had no one to drive her to from school and our account company said our taxes would benefit if I hired someone and so I hired my brother that moved from Portugal happy with this chance of a new life in a new country/the expenses of having someone in a payroll was another huge shock and we found no improvement in our taxes situation and the amount of hours by law that he could be in daycare without me were so few that I hardly felt any improvement of the amount of work and hours I have to do (we had just added another big expense to our already stressful financial situation and I found myself slaving to pay the extra bills caused by my own business that was supposed to support me/my contract with the state was overwhelming me with paperwork and trainings and QRIS demands and the “welfare” families were getting more and more challenging to work with so a ended my contract with Citizens for Citizens/invest thousands of dollars advertising to get a new set of families in my daycare/afraid to have not return in all the money invested in advertising, I accepted all families with no restrictions of schedule and a thousand little things that I see many of you terming families for/all these “punches” and the normal demands of this long hours demanding job made my level of stress so high that even taking a week break would not made me recover and I am busy and exhausted all the time/ I could not continue to pay my brother assistant so I “fired” him/my brother assistant found a job and I’m again without no one to take my daughter to school this April.
Sorry for so long… this was the most important facts (not all of them) in the “before reaching decision”
lolaland 01:27 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
I have a 3 year plan

We are working toward downsizing our house, possibly building a 500 sq ft micro house where we have almost zero monthly bills. And also learning gardening and researching sustainable living so we can save money and be more self sufficient so that will be handy bc we will be able to live just off one income. We should be able to do that now but Austin is so expensive!

Interesting that you mentioned this... I too have been researching about ways of downsizing/Choosing-Voluntary-Simplicity... Me and my husband have been discussing about our need to simplify our financial way of living! ... and that is going to be one of my "projects" when I close the daycare. Not sure exactly how we can simplify or how simpler can we go when we have a morgage of a 3 family house to pay and also have my parents and my brother living in one of our units... All I know is that spending all my time/energy in the daycare makes impossible to explore other alternatives.

Good luck for you! Your plan sounds awesome
lolaland 02:10 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by Binkybobo:
I don't think I can handle having preschoolers in my home again for a long time. How is your countdown going?
Me too! My countdown... I have 2 weeks to go and until now each week has been very different: first week was extremely draining with all the parents questioning and trying to digest the news. The second week parents started looking for other daycares and all week just kept telling me how good my program is and how impossible it has been to find something that compares. One family called my licensor to ask some questions and when the parent vented how chalenging it was to find good daycares, my licensor told the parent that my home daycare was the best in our area and that the parent needed to accept that while looking for a new arrangment. Other parent went checking preschools and after some interviews told me "We were spoiled with you... we were having Filet Mighon and now we have to eat chicken". Other 4 families realised that other daycare providers are not very receptive to these families present needs/shedules/wants and so they are keeping their children with relatives. (I allways knew my set of families were a very hard "juggling act" to keep up, but still feels good to be validaded by these other providers great "back bone". No wonder I'm burnout). So week 2 was good for my ego but my energy level is VERY low and I want this to be over. So for the 3rd week I will still have all the families.
lolaland 02:25 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by mama0609:
Me! Me! Me! I will be done next Friday! I started my daycare last May and it was something I always wanted to do. I was really excited to be able to be at home with my kids and still make some money. I quickly realized that this is not the job for me! Oh man! I started with two school agers for the summer, a full time 2yr old and a part time 18 mo plus my own 6 and 3 yo. I had to term the SA after only two weeks because I could not handle them. Then it got a lot better and I enjoyed it for a bit. Then one of my families gradually started picking up later and later due to work hours changing and stupid me didn't say anything just let it fester until I couldn't handle it anymore. I got tired of being stuck at home until 5:30-5:45 every evening. I knew I did not want to be stuck at home all summer long so I decided I had to close for my sanity. I am very fortunate that we will be able to swing just having me SAH until we get our youngest in kindergarten in a year and a half. Fingers crossed. I actually applied and interviewed for a job back at my old office but DH and I really do not want to have to pay daycare with me making so little, when I worked I basically worked for free after daycare and gas getting there and back. Anyway, I am counting down the days and it is finally within sight!
I can totally relate to your disapointment and ups & downs when entering into this business. I felt the same way the first 2 years. But then I found this forum and after realizing that most providers at some point felt the same way but still managed to make it work for them after a few adjustments and lessons learned, I tried to achieve the same result... but only to fail!

Good luck for you
lolaland 02:29 PM 03-16-2013
Do you have a plan to close? I know how hard it is. I don't actually HAVE a job yet, I just know that I will find one. Interviews start next month or so. I am glad you can relate to my feelings. It helps to know there are others who feel like you do ~
My plan is:

1 - rest first
2 - take my daughter to Disney World for the first time
3 - rent the apartment where I have the daycare
4 - refinance our morgage
5 - reajust our health insurance and quartely taxes to my new unemployed status
6 - reaserch possible solutions for downsizing
7 - take classes/training for a new carrer

I'm excited and scared
lolaland 02:35 PM 03-16-2013
Keep us updated how it went when delivering the news... It's a long countdown
lolaland 03:32 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Logging in unregistered.

In my case and to start I am going to cut as much as possible the amount of expences we have now... some of those expenses were caused by my daycare business and once I refinance the morgage, rent the daycare space, adjust our health insurance bill and our quartely tax payments, stop paying the extra gas/electric bill for the daycare space, stop having all the food/crafs/educational-materials expenses... I thing we will be almost even... hardly no cut in pay if any at all. But I have to wait and see if my assumptions are correct.
lolaland 03:41 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by jen:
I am 1.5 years post daycare!!! I was a provider for 10 years and while there was much of it I loved, there was a lot that drove me nuts.
I've been a provider for close to 5 years only... but I really know what you mean!!! Same thing with me!!
mbullette 10:51 AM 03-17-2013
I am actually jealous that some of you are closing. I have been doing this for a couple years and I just dont enjoy it anymore. I actually think its more the parents and kids that I currently have. I have one family that I love dearly. They have been here a year and have never once given me a problem. If only all my families were like that. We are moving in May and I am considering taking the summer off and will go from there. Maybe I just need a break and that will be my break.

Good luck to all of you!!!
mama0609 07:33 PM 03-17-2013
My countdown is officially over! Dcm texted me earlier to say that dcb will be starting his new daycare tomorrow. I did a happy dance for sure! I was all geared up for another week but I'm so relieved now. I am a little sad because I watched him for almost a year and my kids are going to miss him but it's just a relief to be able to have my freedom back. I have so many things I want to do around the house and with my family and now I have the time and freedom to do it!
slorey 07:51 PM 03-17-2013
I have been contemplating closing for the last couple of years since my youngest son was born, but more so the last year. I feel burned out and unmotivated to do this anymore. I have pretty good families for the most part I just think after 5 years I am done. I want my house back, my 3 kids want and need my undivided time. If I could afford to just be a stay at home mom I would do it in a second but, unfortunately, we have bills to pay and 3 children to take care of so I will continue to do what I need to do for now. I wish all of you who are moving on the best! Hopefully soon I will be joining you
snips&snails 10:34 PM 03-17-2013
On bad days I am definitely counting down! LOL. Seriously though, I finish my BS in June 2014 then have a 1 year teaching credential program then off to teach K or 1st.
My first couple months I really hated this job (switched over from teaching preschool in the public school system). I have adjusted & enjoy most of my days but 10+ hour days are not my idea of fun,teachers make more money & only work 10 months a year, plus I am sooo jealous of my friends who are still with the school district & have so many days off! My son starts kindergarden around the same time as I finish my degree so it works out perfectly - the daycare issue for him was the primary reason I got licensed.
I will say that I am learning so much by running my own daycare, but there are so many things that are difficult for me, from collecting money & dealing with difficult parents on down.
lolaland 06:10 AM 03-18-2013
Originally Posted by mama0609:
My countdown is officially over! Dcm texted me earlier to say that dcb will be starting his new daycare tomorrow. I did a happy dance for sure! I was all geared up for another week but I'm so relieved now. I am a little sad because I watched him for almost a year and my kids are going to miss him but it's just a relief to be able to have my freedom back. I have so many things I want to do around the house and with my family and now I have the time and freedom to do it!
I can only imagine how you're felling. I still have 2 weeks to go and it feels like 2 monthts I think this is the most perfect time of the year to be closing a home daycare: I'm dreaming about a proper Spring Clean-up/ being able to plant a nice garden again without thinking child-safe and "kids will ruin it all in 2 seconds"/ Put grownup furniture in the Patio/ Picking up my daughter at school and go riding bycicles/cain't wait for the next note from her school asking for parents to chaperon field trips (I was never able to go because of the daycare)/can't wait to go to all her school events/functions (missed them all until today because of this daycare)... I can't wait to go back to my life instead of taking care of other people's lives!!!!!
lolaland 06:24 AM 03-18-2013
Originally Posted by slorey:
I have been contemplating closing for the last couple of years since my youngest son was born, but more so the last year. I feel burned out and unmotivated to do this anymore. I have pretty good families for the most part I just think after 5 years I am done. I want my house back, my 3 kids want and need my undivided time. If I could afford to just be a stay at home mom I would do it in a second but, unfortunately, we have bills to pay and 3 children to take care of so I will continue to do what I need to do for now. I wish all of you who are moving on the best! Hopefully soon I will be joining you
Thank you! The right time will come for you too... Took me a long time to get ready for this moment... and now, looking back, I realised I should've/could've done this sonner!!! Once you make the dicision, the ""universe" & your brain starts providing you the answers and tools you need to take the first step and walk to where/who you want to be.
bunnyslippers 10:35 AM 03-18-2013
63 more days to go for me. I am counting down each and every second. I can't WAIT to close, and get my house and my privacy back. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
lindysmiles 11:59 AM 03-18-2013
63 more days to go for me. I am counting down each and every second. I can't WAIT to close, and get my house and my privacy back. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
Yay!! Getting closer!!

I've told one family, and it went great. They totally understood. Going to tell the rest today...will keep you posted on how it goes. Scared!
lindysmiles 06:37 PM 03-19-2013
Keep us updated how it went when delivering the news... It's a long countdown
Meh, went as well as can be expected. I am regretting giving an 8 week notice - I have a feeling I will be out of a job in 2 weeks instead of 8. Or worse, will only have 1 child which won't pay the bills but will prevent me from starting new job early. *sigh* Most of the parents understood and said they are happy for me but sad for themselves, but some seem downright mad. Breaks my heart, because I love their children and am not good at friction situations. It's not good for any of us!
lolaland 02:49 AM 03-20-2013
Meh, went as well as can be expected. I am regretting giving an 8 week notice - I have a feeling I will be out of a job in 2 weeks instead of 8. Or worse, will only have 1 child which won't pay the bills but will prevent me from starting new job early. *sigh* Most of the parents understood and said they are happy for me but sad for themselves, but some seem downright mad. Breaks my heart, because I love their children and am not good at friction situations. It's not good for any of us!
Yes... another lesson I've learned after giving a 4 week notice: 2 weeks notice is the right amount in any situation - whoever really needs daycare will find one in that amount of time/if I'm burnout I can handle 2 weeks working better than 4 weeks (right now I feel like I can no longer do 1 more day )/if you need to keep the income for bills you have better chances with a 2 week notice/if parents feel mad they have less time to bump faces with me/like bunnyslipers said, parents tend to not follow your rules after you give notice, and who wants to deal with that for several weeks of notice/goes on and on the reasons why is not such a good idea to give more than 2 weeks notice.

... and now you gave me another good example of why 2 weeks is better - if most families move sooner to a new daycare, you might find your self stuck working with 1 kid for such a long period of time and not enough income to pay your bills
lindysmiles 04:48 PM 03-21-2013
Yep, lesson learned the hard way. Should have listened to y'all! 42 more days to go, if they actually stay that long which I doubt. Lolaland, how's your week going? I can't imagine how I will feel when I am so close to the end like you are! Hang in there - this to shall pass! I'm jealous!!
bunnyslippers 06:30 AM 03-22-2013
59 more for me!
lindysmiles 07:40 AM 03-22-2013
l
59 more for me!

lolaland 08:01 AM 03-22-2013
5 and half more days!! …But each day is so unbearably long!! . ..I feel like I’m in the middle of the lake and too tired to swim to the shore… holding my breath!
I think my happy dance will only happen on the last hour of next Friday. Literally, “I can’t wait”!!!! I also think the week after I will be in “bed rest” (and I’m not joking…)

Thank you... it does help to have company on the countdown.
lindysmiles 07:54 PM 03-26-2013
5 and half more days!! …But each day is so unbearably long!! . ..I feel like I’m in the middle of the lake and too tired to swim to the shore… holding my breath!
I think my happy dance will only happen on the last hour of next Friday. Literally, “I can’t wait”!!!! I also think the week after I will be in “bed rest” (and I’m not joking…)

Thank you... it does help to have company on the countdown.
Almost there! How're you feeling? How has the week been?
MN Mom 05:43 AM 03-27-2013
2 Weeks, 2 days. I can't wait! :-)
MNMommy2 06:40 AM 03-27-2013
Jealous reading this! I have such a long way to go. I will miss my kids like crazy but I need to get out of this house!!!
lolaland 06:48 AM 03-27-2013
Almost there! How're you feeling? How has the week been?
Thank you for asking... I am starting to see "the light" at the end of the tunnel!! 3 more very long days!!!

Still struggling... tired, body aches, lightheaded and dizzy...takes me close to 5 hours after kids leave to go back to feeling rested and well/motivated again.

I can't wait for this to be over and go back to my old self again. I don't like the tired/stressed "old daycare lady" I became. I want my joyful, spontaneous, adventurous/outgoing ME back in my life. Shoo away "daycare lady"!!!
MNMommy2 07:31 AM 03-27-2013
Thank you for asking... I am starting to see "the light" at the end of the tunnel!! 3 more very long days!!!

Still struggling... tired, body aches, lightheaded and dizzy...takes me close to 5 hours after kids leave to go back to feeling rested and well/motivated again.

I can't wait for this to be over and go back to my old self again. I don't like the tired/stressed "old daycare lady" I became. I want my joyful, spontaneous, adventurous/outgoing ME back in my life. Shoo away "daycare lady"!!!
I hope they pass quickly for you!

I feel like an old daycare lady too, and I am only in my 30's. This job just makes me tired and kind of cranky on the inside. I don't have energy at the end of the day for my own kids. I want to smile again--with my whole face--not a fake one to get through the day...
lolaland 11:08 AM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by MNMommy2:
I hope they pass quickly for you!

I feel like an old daycare lady too, and I am only in my 30's. This job just makes me tired and kind of cranky on the inside. I don't have energy at the end of the day for my own kids. I want to smile again--with my whole face--not a fake one to get through the day...
oh I know "that smile" too well (the fake one)!!
Soccermom 12:10 PM 03-27-2013
I just let two kids go yesterday and won't be replacing them.
Once the oldest 2 kids I have in my care age out I am shutting down shop ( They are 10 now and will be 11 in September...not sure if DCPS are planning on keeping them in care next year or not but if so next year will be my last and if not then I will be done in August.)
I can't wait to be done. I stopped enjoying doing daycare a long time ago and will be so glad to just have my house back.
Daycare has changed who my own children have become and it has affected my relationship with them. I just want to be a SAHM.
I have been putting away $ for awhile now with the idea of being able to just relax at home with my own kids until my youngest starts grade 1.
The thought of being done sooner than later gets me through the long afternoons and puts a smile on my face when I am feeling overwhelmed...
bunnyslippers 02:10 PM 03-27-2013
55 more days! Can't wait. 11 more weeks. 11 more Mondays. 11 more Fridays. 11 more weeks of excuses, special requests, and headaches.

Then it is all over...and I can go back to being the person I am supposed to be!
lolaland 05:58 AM 03-28-2013
So kids behaviors can be challenging sometimes but when my 7 year old daughter comes from school they do get out of control and the 2 last hours of the day puts a lot of emotional stress on me because I want to give attention to my own daughter and at the same time I have to keep reprimanding her (and sometimes I have to do so in front of other parents… and this hurts like stabbing myself) in order to keep things in control.

So because of that I’ve been sending, most of the days lately, my daughter upstairs to her room to do homework, watch some tv and rest while I do my job… this upsets her every time. And so I did this yesterday too. Than after pm snack I dressed all kids to go to the garden play while waiting for parents. I had just finished putting on the last coat and was walking to the garden exit when some parents came in to pick up kids. Me all happy thinking – “great… 2 kids go home and I only have to keep safe 3 kids in the garden”. Well, one grandparent came with the kid’s aunt+and the kid’s older sister+and the kid’s teenage cousin and instead of taking the already dressed kid to the car… the whole family just followed us to the garden instead!!!! The other mother that came in at the same time+the older sister of another kid, just followed us too!!! My head – “ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!???”!!!!
So now I have to keep in control my 5 younger kids+3 out of control almost teenagers giving all sorts of bad examples and using my outdoor equipment not appropriate for this big kids ages, while I have to keep a smile while talking with these other 3 grownups that want to be watching this show for another 30 minutes. And then… I looked up to my daughter’s bedroom window and she was looking at me washed in tears. My heart broke again and again and again over and over again during those 30 minutes. I was yelling inside “Go home people!! This is my daughter’s house!!!! She’s the one that should be playing in these gardens and your kids should be driving home now!!!! She should not have to be set apart in her own house so your kids won’t behave out of control!! And now I have to also deal with these teenagers out of control while my daughter is excluded in tears in her room!!!! GET OUT NOW!!!!”

But instead I had to keep smiling while crying inside. I know if I had told her to come out these older kids would stay longer and younger kids would get even more out of control …and all I really needed is for these families to leave right NOW!!!
So me and my daughter just kept crying, each of us in our own way, until these families left. Then I signed with a hand for my daughter to come out and play with the one kid that was still remaining with me. I hugged many times my daughter while saying “I’m so sorry mommy had to put you through this!”

Too many times my “mother heart” has been broken while trying to take care of other families’ kids. I was so blinded by the vision of what I wanted my daycare to be and the financial stability it would bring to our lives in the future in the event of my husband have a serious accident someday that I missed to see how it was harming my present life and my family. It was until my daughter’s last school winter recess that the veil fell off like a water fall and I realized that when you work from home you put your whole family and specially your kid trough the same stresses you go through … and I’ve been stressed since forever!!

Being a good daycare provider made me less of a good mother!

Most of you might fail to understand the pain I feel in situations like the one described above… but, 2 more days and IT’S OVER!!!!!
lolaland 08:28 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
Daycare has changed who my own children have become and it has affected my relationship with them.

Same here... good luck in your countdown
lolaland 03:11 AM 03-29-2013
This is it!!!!

The last day I have to get up at 5 am for the daycare kids!!

... and I still have all the kids... and some of the parents are having good Friday off but still are bringing the kids to my care... So egg boiling and egg decorating and egg hunting it is the plan for today... order pizza and give candies away...

As soon as the last kid leaves, I'll drive to a beauty salon and spend some money trying to not look like the "stressed daycare lady" anymore!!!! I'll also get a nice outfit for the Easter Sunday Lunch with my extended family and I'll find my old happy smile in the process.

bunnyslippers 04:14 AM 03-29-2013
So excited for you! Happy Last Day to you!!!!!!! I will have a toast in your honor today at 4:00 ~ anyone want to join me? Virtual ChEeRs!!!
lindysmiles 07:23 AM 03-29-2013
Congrats! I am so happy for you and your family!! Especially after the pickup ri-donkulousness you had yesterday....I would have been just as upset as you. Hugs, love, and SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! I hope today is awesome and you have a fabulous time at the salon tonight!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!
lolaland 10:11 AM 03-29-2013
Thank you Bunnyslippers and Lindysmiles!!

I got only 4 more hours of daycare but I will be coming back to this forum and this thread to cheer for you in your countdown too!

I hope your countdown goes smooth and that your life after is full of joy.

I will have that 4pm toast... (Hopefully with no daycare kids around )

Love and...CHEERS!!
bunnyslippers 12:48 PM 03-29-2013
Having a cocktail in your honor! Happy Last Day - CHEERS!!!!
lolaland 12:59 PM 03-29-2013
Having a cocktail in your honor! Happy Last Day - CHEERS!!!!

I'll have a glass of milk still got 2 kids here CHEERS !!!

Thank you again
bunnyslippers 01:22 PM 03-29-2013
:hug

I'll have a glass of milk still got 2 kids here CHEERS !!!

Thank you again

I hope your new adventures are everything you dream of!!!!
Binkybobo 06:30 PM 03-29-2013
This is it!!!!

The last day I have to get up at 5 am for the daycare kids!!

... and I still have all the kids... and some of the parents are having good Friday off but still are bringing the kids to my care... So egg boiling and egg decorating and egg hunting it is the plan for today... order pizza and give candies away...

As soon as the last kid leaves, I'll drive to a beauty salon and spend some money trying to not look like the "stressed daycare lady" anymore!!!! I'll also get a nice outfit for the Easter Sunday Lunch with my extended family and I'll find my old happy smile in the process.

Enjoy! And Welcome to the After Paaaaartaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lindysmiles 09:55 AM 03-30-2013
YAY! Glad you'll be sticking around!! Can't wait to celebrate with you and be in your position!! Hope you're having a great weekend, Lolaland!
lolaland 05:49 AM 04-01-2013
Thank you Pretty Ladies for the feedback and support.

I just can't take the smile off of my face !!!

Yesterday, after the Easter Sunday lunch, we came home to spend the rest of the Sunday napping, snaking on leftovers and snuggling with my husband & daughter on the coach while watching TV until 10 pm. I can't remember the last time I was able to do this. Sunday's were always a “bitchy” day for me, running around like a crazy lady, cleaning daycare, making menus, making week plan, groceries shopping, material shopping, constantly repeating “I'm too busy”!!

Today I drove my daughter for the first time in 3 years to school and the entire trip we both kept singing Sponge Bob's song “It's the best day eeveeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!”

Now time to put my "work pants" on and erase all signs of daycare out of my home... starting with the building Daycare Sign!!! Whoooo hoooo!

I'll be waiting for you for the "after" PARTY!!
Country Kids 08:27 AM 04-01-2013

Yesterday, after the Easter Sunday lunch, we came home to spend the rest of the Sunday napping, snaking on leftovers and snuggling with my husband & daughter on the coach while watching TV until 10 pm. I can't remember the last time I was able to do this. Sunday's were always a “bitchy” day for me, running around like a crazy lady, cleaning daycare, making menus, making week plan, groceries shopping, material shopping, constantly repeating “I'm too busy”!!

Today I drove my daughter for the first time in 3 years to school and the entire trip we both kept singing Sponge Bob's song “It's the best day eeveeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!”

Now time to put my "work pants" on and erase all signs of daycare out of my home... starting with the building Daycare Sign!!! Whoooo hoooo!

I am soooooo excited for you!

Enjoy every minute of everyday from here on out!
Mom&Provider 08:55 AM 04-01-2013

Congrats! Have a GREAT 1st day without the daycare...so exciting!!!
EAP 09:28 AM 04-01-2013
Not a closing countdown but a reboot - I have to get some older kids to make this more manageable and I have one problem child that needs to go. I feel like I can't ever really get going with this - issues from day one. Its been a year licensed this week.
lolaland 09:37 AM 04-04-2013
Hi Ladies!! Happy me again ...

Today I found a new meaning to “TIME IS MONEY”

Until last week I was so overwhelmed trying to juggle the daycare and my family/home life. Now after closing the daycare I'm being more thoughtful about how I spend my time and money.

Because of my previous lack of Time and overwhelming “To do” lists, every week I would just pay bills without comparing and analyzing much what I was paying for... well, not this week!!. Yesterday I took some TIME to look at the gas bill.. -. “This is ridiculous amounts!!” - I thought to myself!"

I gathered all my previous gas bills, made a few comparisons and a couple of phone calls, requested the gas company to install a new meter...!!!!!!

The gas company, just now, left my home and informed me that, not only I do not have to pay the last bill, I will also receive a credit. Between the bill I do not have to pay and the credit they will have to give me... I just made today over 600 dollars (more than I would make in a week in the daycare when deducting all the weekly expenses)!!!!

Having more time for myself is really making me some money.
Unregistered 10:12 AM 04-22-2013
Hi Ladies ( sorry if theres any guys here)
I have had my DC since Feb 2011 , moved into a larger house for DC in Jan 2012 and Im officially burnt out done and tired of DC . I am CRAVING a life and career again ! From Feb 2012 til Dec 2012 DC has been nothing but stress from trying to find decent dependable and HONEST dc assistant to trying to keep full enrollment ...headache after headache....dont get me wrong I LOVE KIDS . Anyhoo....

DH and I have been hired to teach abroad and we are supposed to leave anywhere between 5/31 and 6/7 . We have a ton of stuff to sell and things to get organized etc and all the other things that have to be done to start the 'expat life '... I want to close 5/10 but am 'clamming up' when thinking of what or how to tell my 2 remaining clients that I am DONE .... I have had both the boys for 2 years. One DCM is a teacher and just had a new baby so she will have the entire summer to find another DC and the other DCM is newly single however I referred her to a friend last week when i went on vacation

Enough rambling what to say and how to say it ....
bunnyslippers 01:29 PM 04-22-2013
I am closing in 43 more school days, and I told all my parents in February. I think if you are closing on May 10 and you only have two families left anyway, you should probably let them know now. May 10th is right around the corner. They may leave earlier than your planned last day, but it sounds like you may not care if they do since you have another job to go to.

Just be honest and tell them that you have a new job and you are closing down. YOu will feel so relieved when you do!
mpb12 04:55 PM 04-22-2013
When I had just started my family daycare, I was naive and let parents inside my house, it was like hell. Then I set up rules, drop off and pick up limited time of five minutes stay. They drop them off at the door and say good buy to their child and leave. Five minutes or less and done. I explained that after working all day I have my own family and they should go home and have dinner with their kids. Also, I don`t allow them to call me babysitter, that`s not what I do. I teach their kids and I prepare then to start kindergarten. I don`t file tax as babysitter, so I should not be called this way. I hear you all, but being to polite to parents we get step on by them. I love what I do, my job are to make sure the children are well taking care not the parents to be entertained by me. I don`t think I would quit it soon, but I do refuse to continue accepting children of "arrogant" parents. https://www.daycare.com/forum/images/smilies/happy.gif
fr1endly2 01:00 PM 04-23-2013
i am tossing the idea around after 18 years of family daycare.

FIRST off the kids today seem to all be in need of preschool services...
and the district offers pre k so i am mostly doing the hard age lately
the infants and toddlers. enrollment has been down and i just feel its my health why...

THING is i am probably going on disability for health problems that affect
me doing my job to the best as i always took pride in.

I love my work, love the fact it has allowed me to be stay at home. I am terrifed applying for disability in case i dont get approved......

but my health isnt good i suffer with Chronic LYME disease.
lindysmiles 07:29 AM 05-14-2013
15 MORE WORK DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lolaland 07:46 AM 05-14-2013
15 MORE WORK DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woooo hooooo!!
bunnyslippers 09:18 AM 05-14-2013
I have 27 more working days. 4 more Mondays! Can't WAIT!!!!!
Springdaze 09:28 AM 05-14-2013
I have decided to get my eligibility to begin looking for a job teaching k-5. I have been teaching preschool for 18 years, 9 in my home. my kids are in school and I am ready to do something a little different. I am really ready to know I am going to get paid and not work 7-6!
lindysmiles 06:49 PM 05-15-2013

Lolaland, how is life post daycare treating you? Whatcha been up to?
MNMommy2 08:46 PM 05-15-2013
Woo-hoo, ladies! Congrats!

78 workdays until I give my notice (God willing).
blessed mom 09:18 PM 05-15-2013
Congratulations to those of you who have been able to close. I often wish I could close, it's just the money is too good and so we are stuck. Hubby wishes I could close, but he is very supportive and also loves the dc kids. My kids are continually put aside for dc kids. Don't watch this or that or play this computer game because it's inappropriate for the little ones. I can't help you with your project now...I can't help you with your homework...changing a diaper can you wait? Mine are 11 & 12 years old. I always have to send them in the other room. They are not quite old enough to be home alone...so I suppose it's better then paying to send them somewhere. I don't know. I love my cd kids and I have AMAZING parents..I love my job...and I do teach preschool and get them fully ready for kindergarten...but my brain is turning to mush. I can do this job in my sleep mentally. There is no challenge. There are bills to pay though and so we are literally stuck. Hubby is going back to school now in hopes of getting a better paying job so I can either stay home or work a different job. I hope that happens...but he's got another two and a half years to his BA.
lolaland 06:19 AM 05-16-2013

Lolaland, how is life post daycare treating you? Whatcha been up to?
Hi Ladies

Life is GOOD!!

Sold all the daycare stuff and tomorrow I'll be done with the renovation of the apartment (where I had the daycare running) and will start advertising it for rent.

I've been also slowly taking care of all the other personal/household/financial/family ISSUES neglected for the past 5 years due to the daycare long hours and after hours “homework”.

BUT the biggest difference has been me emotionally... BEING AVAILABLE!!!

Before I struggled with time management and keeping the chaos under-control and therefor I was a “NO” to everything:

No time...
Not possible!
Not available!
Too tired...!
Sorry...

Now I'm a “YES” to everything:

Yes we can!
Let's meet!
At what time?
Whenever you want!...
Ok...Great!!!

I will never again get stuck in something that takes so much of my time and limits so much my ability to move around and attend my other life's demands!! Lesson learned!! Now I have an open smile in my face...and I will take good care of it!!
lolaland 06:23 AM 05-16-2013
Yaaaayyyy! Less than a month!!
lolaland 06:29 AM 05-16-2013
Originally Posted by MNMommy2:
Woo-hoo, ladies! Congrats!

78 workdays until I give my notice (God willing).
Good luck on your countdown! (God loves happy people... )
lolaland 06:31 AM 05-16-2013
Originally Posted by Springdaze:
I have decided to get my eligibility to begin looking for a job teaching k-5. I have been teaching preschool for 18 years, 9 in my home. my kids are in school and I am ready to do something a little different. I am really ready to know I am going to get paid and not work 7-6!

Good luck!
lolaland 06:43 AM 05-16-2013
Originally Posted by blessed mom:
Congratulations to those of you who have been able to close. I often wish I could close, it's just the money is too good and so we are stuck. Hubby wishes I could close, but he is very supportive and also loves the dc kids. My kids are continually put aside for dc kids. Don't watch this or that or play this computer game because it's inappropriate for the little ones. I can't help you with your project now...I can't help you with your homework...changing a diaper can you wait? Mine are 11 & 12 years old. I always have to send them in the other room. They are not quite old enough to be home alone...so I suppose it's better then paying to send them somewhere. I don't know. I love my cd kids and I have AMAZING parents..I love my job...and I do teach preschool and get them fully ready for kindergarten...but my brain is turning to mush. I can do this job in my sleep mentally. There is no challenge. There are bills to pay though and so we are literally stuck. Hubby is going back to school now in hopes of getting a better paying job so I can either stay home or work a different job. I hope that happens...but he's got another two and a half years to his BA.
With your husband going back to school it is hard to not feel stuck... but keep your eyes and ears and heart open and you might find another answer...

Good luck!

"life is what happens to you when we're busy making other plans" - John Lennon
Unregistered 10:32 AM 05-16-2013
I have been closed for quite a while now. At first, it was tough. I had NO job! We needed money. Then all of the sudden, I got offered a job. I work FOUR 10 hour days and I get off no later than 6pm every night. I can tuck my kids into bed without "waiting" on anyone. They are not with me 24/7 and are socializing with other kids at school and then at their after school program just 2 days per week (husband is off on opposite days so it makes it SO MUCH EASIER). I am trying to ENJOY my own kids more. I HATED that after watching kids for 12 hours a day that my own kids needed time I was too tired to devote to them. Now, I don't mind doing activities with them after work or on my days off...also, When I go out now, I can go out and stay out as long as I want with my own children without having to worry about various drop off or pick up times. I can be there for things on my days off for my kids. I do miss out on a few things when I actually go into work, so that's a disadvantage, but it's teaching my kids we can't all just have what we want when we want so it's also a plus.

I am talking to adults. I put up with so much bs in my daycare and did so much for the kids whose parents were ungrateful and did not want to pay or do the right things, that I had to go. Even now, at my job where I put up with the public and have to deal with a fair amount of BS, at least I know I WILL get paid, I WILL get time off, I WILL not have to put up with the same person again for very long, and I WILL go home on time most of the time....It's so much better!

So this is after awhile, and hope it gives you just a little peek into how it can be after the initial "freedom!"
lindysmiles 08:28 AM 05-17-2013
YAY!! Thank you for the inspiring news that life has been good to you both post daycare! I am emotional about it right now - excited and then sad all at the same time. And nervous for my new position, but super excited. Hugs to you all!!
clep 10:09 PM 05-20-2013
I decided to close recently. I am tired of parents over the last eight years. I want my home to be my own, not have to answer to parents for who is in my home and what I choose to do with it.

I started an online business so I don't have to leave my house to work. It has been an amazing journey so far. I hired a full time employee so I don't work in my day home anymore. I did that so she could drive the children to school, but with the income of my online biz, I don't need the day home. I only work about 4 hours a day in that biz instead of 10 or 12 so that's great.

Last week I was approached to work from home as a business consultant for day homes and day cares. I will be doing that too about 20 hours a week, mainly for the excuse to go and stay in hotels for free when I have to travel about once every two weeks. I can still run my other business while working and it also gives me a chance to be dressed up and in a professional role.

I have to give my parents notice soon. It's going to be very hard as some have been with me for years, but I can't wait. Oh freedom from screaming children in my home when they have to leave and passive parents. Oh for joy!!!!
MaritimeMummy 05:34 AM 05-21-2013
I am closing!
Familycare71 05:53 AM 05-21-2013
I want to go uncertified... Which in NY means 2 kids for 3 hours or more that aren't related to you... Then you can have however many 3 hours or less- I would be able to do what ever with out worrying about regs and what not- just be a great loving safe home
MaritimeMummy 06:31 AM 05-21-2013
At first I was a pushover and told her that I could probably do 2 half days a week as long as it didn't interfere with the 3 mornings a week I take my daughter to preschool in the fall, or my son's doctor's appointments or my braces adjustments, and she was willing to talk to another day care provider and work around that, but then i rethought that and realized that I would have to continue to be regulated by the department of community services since they cover the subsidy that she needs. It is really not worth it to me to keep up with the documentation, the inspections, the meal planning for one child 2 half days a week.

I still have to tell the other DCM but I anticipate more sadness than anything. She's my cousin and on maternity leave right now with her baby, and she's not going back to work until January so there is no rush for her to find child care. But still.

Those are my only two kids so then that will be it!

I am taking an office cleaning job with a company that is extremely flexible. It's an evening job, which means I get to spend the day with my own kids and not have to pay to put them in daycare, or even worry about them being in day care while I work since they'll be with hubby. I can start each evening whenever is convenient for me, so I will never be "late for work"..I can cook supper, clean up, tuck my kids into bed at 7 or run away at 6 and leave hubby to fend for himself, haha...and still be home in time for my regular bedtime. It's only 4 hours each night, 20 hours a week, unless I want more, then they will up my hours! No holidays! If I don't want to work Friday night, I can float it to anytime on Saturday or Sunday! And if my kids are a sick and hubby can't deal on his own, I can leave early and make up the time the next night.

It may not be a glam job but the hours are spectacular. :-) I am excited for this new beginning!
bunnyslippers 06:56 AM 05-21-2013
I am done in 22 more days. Yippee!!!
lindysmiles 07:55 AM 05-23-2013
Woohoo! Almost Friday!! Happy dance!!!

8 more work days!!!! HOLLA!!!!
lindysmiles 09:49 AM 05-29-2013
6 days and counting...
bunnyslippers 09:52 AM 05-29-2013
16 more for me!!!!!
MNMommy2 11:57 AM 05-29-2013
So excited for you all! Good luck!
lindysmiles 10:50 AM 05-30-2013
16 more for me!!!!!

What are your plans post daycare, Bunnyslippers? Lolaland, what is new and exciting your way? What are your summer plans??

5 more days, 5 more days, 5 more days!!!

I close one week from today - it is very bittersweet. I'm feeling lots of mixed emotions - I love these children dearly, and they will be missed! I start my new RN job on Friday! My DH thinks I'm nuts for not taking some time off first, but we need the $$! And I am excited! And nervous! Worried about how my kids will adjust. The hours are great - 4 days/week, 8a-3p. But I'm still so very nervous and mixed with emotions. Been awhile since I've used my brain, ya know? And also since I've worked with other adults, and needed to look presentable to leave the house in the morning.

Hope you all are having a great day!
Tags:closing daycare, countdown, last day, terminate - closing, terminate - entire daycare
1 2 
Reply Up