Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fleas?
cara041083 04:35 PM 08-12-2014
Last Thursday, One of my DCG age 1.5 was playing, and I all of a sudden noticed bites all over her body (about 20 different spots). It was about 10 min to pick up and you could tell they were fresh. I of course freak out thinking there is a spider somewhere on the carpet so in the mix of pick ups I am vacuuming up a storm and washing the blankets I have on my couch. I showed mom and explained what happened and what I saw and how it just happened. After staying updated by mom, we thought maybe she had broke out in hives. Fast forward to yesterday. Same DCG comes in right at lunch time, so I go to take her shirt off and a flea jumps on my arm. I have treated all my animals all year long for fleas and ticks and I have treated my yard several times this summer. So once again, I freak and start washing everyone bedding, blankets, pillows and basically deep cleaning everything searching for more fleas to make sure I don't have them. I then gave my dog a flea bath and nothing came off of him. I also held my cats down (not fun by the way lol) and searched them. Still nothing. So today, at pick up the dad was holding her for a few min, and he was talking to my husband and he sat her down and she had 3 more bites on her arm that she didn't have before. I showed dad and he wasn't happy. I explained all of the above to him. I showed him my revaluation prescription for my animals. He told me that they have 3 dogs, and they DONT use any prevention on them and thinks it funny how it only happens at my house Well now him and his wife think I have something here that is biting all of the kids. It is only happening to his kid! Myself, or my 4 kids, or my husband, or any of the other 6 DCK in this house have no bites what so ever. I don't know what to do. I have never been accused of something before and I really think they are the ones with the flea/bug problem not me! Is there anything I can do? or do I just need to let it be and see what happens.
Thriftylady 04:50 PM 08-12-2014
I hate to say this but they could be coming in on her clothes. I will also say they seem bad this summer, because I have just noticed I have them in my house and am going to have to exterminate them. This is the first time I have gotten them in the house, but I have them for sure I have seen them jump on me. Luckily I don't have any daycare kids yet, so I can take care of it before I do.
cara041083 05:05 PM 08-12-2014
I was thinking that maybe they are on her clothes. I am trying to be open minded, but this is the same family that used to have cockroaches crawl out of there bags and such so I had to ban diaper bags. Im not saying they have a bug problem. But I don't see them here. I plan on bombing this weekend to be on the safe side. It breaks my heart to see her with bites and not know for sure where they are coming from.
nannyde 06:46 PM 08-12-2014
They are coming from their house.
Leigh 08:27 PM 08-12-2014
It is obvious that they are not coming from your house. No one else has been affected. Your pets have not been affected. They don't bother to treat their own dogs. I can't believe that the child's parents have not figured this out yet. They likely know that they have fleas, and don't want you to know that they are doing nothing about it.
Cradle2crayons 08:42 PM 08-12-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
It is obvious that they are not coming from your house. No one else has been affected. Your pets have not been affected. They don't bother to treat their own dogs. I can't believe that the child's parents have not figured this out yet. They likely know that they have fleas, and don't want you to know that they are doing nothing about it.
I would simply have to have a sit down with the parents and explain that NO other child is bitten except theirs. They have admitted to not treating their own pets. I'd also explain that fleas carry blood born pathogens. I would know his because my daughter was bitten multiple times at a small church daycare from their rug. I confronted them twice about it. She was two. She developed a very high fever and spent nearly a week in the hospital getting iv antibiotics and the dr called the dept of health and reported the daycare and they were shut down for some time.

Fleas are very serious.i would NOT accept liability for this. And I would very firmly let the parents know. I would also document the meeting and have them sign. Proving that you confronted them about this in case anything happens.
KidGrind 03:50 AM 08-13-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
They are coming from their house.
I respect your efforts. I most likely would’ve done the same thing initially. But once I realized my kids, husband and other DCK’s have no bites. I’d know it is not my home it’s happening in.

In addition, THEY KNOW it’s coming from their home. Yet, if they can pass the buck onto you then they will.
Second Home 05:54 AM 08-13-2014
I would tell them you saw one jump off when she came in , they brought it . No other child or your family is having any issues with getting bit .

And document everything .
Thriftylady 07:04 AM 08-13-2014
I guess my thought is that if they are coming in on her clothes you are bound to get them. They are like roaches it only takes one. I had a family bring me roaches and head lice in the past and deny it when I showed them the lice in their kids head. I don't know how you deal with that.
Childminder 07:18 AM 08-13-2014
Check the child completely, head to toe, at drop off. Do not let the parent leave until a thorough inspection is performed. Fleas will attack some people and not others so it is possible the child is the only one getting bit at your house but highly unlikely. You could also mix a few drops of tea tree oil in some water and spritz everyone, including your pets, as a preventative but that wont stop her from bringing them with.
Tags:fleas
Reply Up