Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Needs Allergy Testing!!!
delferka 07:26 AM 03-21-2016
In a nutshell, I took on a 1 year old boy about 6 months ago. The first day he was fine. The next day he developed a cold and asthma. He has never recovered! He's constantly congested and I administer a nebulizer daily but it never seems to help. He's still super congested. He's been in the hospital a couple of times but no one ever seems to address the fact that I have 4 cats! His father said he had a problem with dogs. I know that cats can trigger asthma. Can I ask him to get his child tested for allergies? I think it's unfair to see this child coughing constantly. He's always crying and in a bad mood. I can see why!

That really wasn't a nutshell!
Play Care 07:37 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by delferka:
In a nutshell, I took on a 1 year old boy about 6 months ago. The first day he was fine. The next day he developed a cold and asthma. He has never recovered! He's constantly congested and I administer a nebulizer daily but it never seems to help. He's still super congested. He's been in the hospital a couple of times but no one ever seems to address the fact that I have 4 cats! His father said he had a problem with dogs. I know that cats can trigger asthma. Can I ask him to get his child tested for allergies? I think it's unfair to see this child coughing constantly. He's always crying and in a bad mood. I can see why!

That really wasn't a nutshell!
Why are you giving him a nebulizer? Are you certified to give medications? Is it a prescription for that child? Do you training or explicit instructions from his doctor on administering it?

I am not med certified so I would not be allowed to give a day care kid those treatments. Giving kids medication is a huge liabilty and not one I'd undertake at all - but especially not without oversight from a medical professional (Dr "Mom" wouldn't cut it)

You absolutely have the right to tell parents you will not be administering the medication and if he needs meds then he needs to stay home. If you want to administer meds then you have the right to insist on a doctors note with what the issue is (exact allergies, asthma, etc) the treatment and how it should be given. Really I would never agree to give meds without those things from the get go.

Good luck!
delferka 07:44 AM 03-21-2016
My question is, can I ask the parents to get him tested for cat allergies. That's not a problem. I have a Dr's note to administer the nebulizer.
Silly Songs 07:50 AM 03-21-2016
In centers where I worked we teachers were constantly giving meds and nebuizer treatments. The parents signed something saying they gave us permission. It's very common these days for children to need them for up to 2 weeks.
Thriftylady 08:04 AM 03-21-2016
I don't like to give meds and neb treatments but if I have to I will. My daugher and I both have horrible allergies, and she has asthma. I am not sure though that they will do allergy tests on one that age. Honestly IMHO if you think the problem is your cats, you should tell the parents that, and that you think they need to find another provider. Even if they do test for it, and he is allergic, the problem will still be there you will still have the cats. So if you really think that is what it is, you will have to put the child first and tell the parents they need to find a provider with no pets.
delferka 08:14 AM 03-21-2016
Yes, I've suggested it before but nothing seems to come of it
Second Home 08:30 AM 03-21-2016
Here I would need a diagnosis and medical treatment plan for this child filled out by the doctor & allergist . It would have to be very specific as to treatment and the items which the child is allergic to .

Do you have a form like this from the state ? If so then it should have to be filled out for this child by a doctor.
KarenSue 08:37 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Why are you giving him a nebulizer? Are you certified to give medications? Is it a prescription for that child? Do you training or explicit instructions from his doctor on administering it?

I am not med certified so I would not be allowed to give a day care kid those treatments. Giving kids medication is a huge liabilty and not one I'd undertake at all - but especially not without oversight from a medical professional (Dr "Mom" wouldn't cut it)

You absolutely have the right to tell parents you will not be administering the medication and if he needs meds then he needs to stay home. If you want to administer meds then you have the right to insist on a doctors note with what the issue is (exact allergies, asthma, etc) the treatment and how it should be given. Really I would never agree to give meds without those things from the get go.

Good luck!
I do not want to give meds or nebulizers anymore either. Do you just put that in your handbook. How would I word that.
daycare 08:43 AM 03-21-2016
allergy test are rarely accurate at this age because his immune system is still building immunity.

if you really think it is the cats, which from the sounds of it, it just might be if he is never getting better.

do they have cats at home?
delferka 08:49 AM 03-21-2016
No, they don't have any animals at home. I seriously don't mind administering the meds.
Thriftylady 08:49 AM 03-21-2016
The parents do not get to decide if you provide care anymore or not. If you need to term in order for the child to be in a better environment then do it. But allergy testing at this age is not going to be the answer I don't think they will even do it.
Second Home 08:51 AM 03-21-2016
If you do decide to term it would be better to do it before they have a diagnosis . With all the ADA regulations you may have some backlash if you term because of documented allergies.
Play Care 09:30 AM 03-21-2016
My question is, can I ask the parents to get him tested for cat allergies. That's not a problem. I have a Dr's note to administer the nebulizer.
As I said in my reply, you can ask. They probably don't have to comply. You then have to decide if you want to continue care.
Play Care 09:40 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by Karen0801:
I do not want to give meds or nebulizers anymore either. Do you just put that in your handbook. How would I word that.
In my state you need to be certified to hand out/administer medications like that. I am not. I just tell parents verbally in the interview that I'm not. I had looked into it, but it was, IIRC, a big expense - $250 for the training, and I had to find a nurse willing to oversee my certification, etc.

I guess if it was a service I had offered but no longer wanted to I would just do an "effective x date, I will no longer administer medications at ABC day care. This includes nebulizers, tylenol, allergy meds, etc. Emergency medications such as rescue inhalers or epipens are still permitted."

IME, the only parents I had who wanted me to administer meds, were the ones who were constantly sending kids in SICK and using meds to mask symptoms.
Thriftylady 09:44 AM 03-21-2016
I am just having trouble understanding why this is an issue. The provider has pets, that is fine, I have pets also. But if it is likely the pets are making the child sick, why is the child being put in the environment that is making him ill day after day? The parents keep sending the child, the provider keeps taking the child. WHO is watching out for the well being of the child? It sounds to me like nobody is. My daughter being asthmatic, I do everything in my power to help her avoid her triggers. If she was my daycare kiddo, I would see it as my job to do the same, as my first and most important job is to see to the safety and well being of the children.
KarenSue 09:56 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
In my state you need to be certified to hand out/administer medications like that. I am not. I just tell parents verbally in the interview that I'm not. I had looked into it, but it was, IIRC, a big expense - $250 for the training, and I had to find a nurse willing to oversee my certification, etc.

I guess if it was a service I had offered but no longer wanted to I would just do an "effective x date, I will no longer administer medications at ABC day care. This includes nebulizers, tylenol, allergy meds, etc. Emergency medications such as rescue inhalers or epipens are still permitted."

IME, the only parents I had who wanted me to administer meds, were the ones who were constantly sending kids in SICK and using meds to mask symptoms.
Thank you. I'm going to use this.
delferka 10:02 AM 03-21-2016
We do NOT know if this is the problem or not. I have been caring for the child and I'm looking out for his well being obviously because I'm talking to you and others here on the forum. Be careful with the assumptions. @ Thriftylady
VWMom 10:14 AM 03-21-2016
If you have suggested it, and nothing came from it, then what are you expecting by asking the question here?
Thriftylady 10:16 AM 03-21-2016
We do NOT know if this is the problem or not. I have been caring for the child and I'm looking out for his well being obviously because I'm talking to you and others here on the forum. Be careful with the assumptions. @ Thriftylady
I am not making assumptions. I am basing on what you have said, and telling you that they will not test for allergies. So the only thing you can do is have him moved from your home and see if he improves. You said this happened a day after starting in your care. You can't force doctors to do tests that are proven not to work on infants and even if they would/did, there is no medication they will give a child that age for it. You can only do one thing, remove ALL suspected causes and introduce them back one by one. If dogs are a known issue, then cats likely are also.
Tags:asthma, nebulizer
Reply Up