Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Missing Kids
Papa 10:11 AM 07-10-2014
What do you do to get parents to call if they are not bringing their kids to daycare that day? With all the things that can happen like leaving a child in a car all day, It drives me crazy when at nine o'clock a child still has not showed up. Yesterday I finally told my wife I'm calling. When I did the parent answered and said , oh, she is staying home with her cousins. I explained that licensing wants us to report when one doesn't show up after a few days so they can find out why and what happened. And the fact that at public school they require a parent to call if there is a no show. I just go crazy when the parents walk all over my wife and take advantage of things. I am sure If one of their employes did not show up or call for work they would get jumped on or maybe even fired. I could go on for hours but time to feed the kids.
Naptime yet? 10:28 AM 07-10-2014
Can you put them on probation? Three strikes and you're out?
CraftyMom 10:28 AM 07-10-2014
I let them all know, and it's in my policies, that they need to let me know before their scheduled drop off time if they will be late or not coming. Repeated offenses may end up in termination of our contract.
Second Home 10:29 AM 07-10-2014
I have a clause in my contract that says I must be notified within 30 minutes of arrival time if the child will not be attending or will be late . A call or text is all I ask .

Of course this does not mean that every parent will do it .
midaycare 10:42 AM 07-10-2014
It is in my policy, too. But today I had a parent who was 40 minutes late. I was just about to call. She said dcg slept in today. A text would have been nice.

Most of my parents are really on top of stuff like this. But a few ...
Annalee 10:57 AM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
It is in my policy, too. But today I had a parent who was 40 minutes late. I was just about to call. She said dcg slept in today. A text would have been nice.

Most of my parents are really on top of stuff like this. But a few ...
I have a sign on my door which reads "All children must be in attendance by 8:00 or be considered ABSENT for the DAY!" I lock my door at 8....I have had 2 parents to come after 8, come to the door and after realizing it was locked, they leave.....BUT they were never late again!
Childminder 11:01 AM 07-10-2014
Call them if they aren't there within 30 minutes of scheduled drop of and say you are concerned that the child was left alone in the hot/cold car because they forgot to drop them off at daycare on the way to work.
AmyKidsCo 11:32 AM 07-10-2014
In WI we're required to call if a child isn't dropped off within a certain amount of time. I charge for this service - $5 per call. It's amazing how seldom I need to call.
daycare 01:16 PM 07-10-2014
I charge a courtesy fee. If you don't report it by 8am, I will charge you $15.00 fee.

If you are supposed to be here for breakfast and are not, I charge another $5.00 on top of that for a food waste fee. I am just not going to assume you are not showing up. I will move on as normal until you call to tell me otherwise.
Michelle 03:12 PM 07-10-2014
I am pretty sure that licensing does not require we notify them if kids are absent
I think you may mean calworks or some other type of state program
but I would just call or text I have only had it happen once to me
daycare 04:42 PM 07-10-2014
I tell my DCP if you are not here 30 min past your drop off time I am going to call you.

but this works for me because I work on contracted hours with each parent.

If they are more than 30 min late they lose their spot without refund, without notice

if they are not here by 9am, they can not attend for the day
Rachel 03:35 AM 07-11-2014
Because of the kids in the car thing, we are supposed to call / text within 30 minutes of the parent's normal arrival time if the child hasn't shown up. Usually I text and give it about 5 minutes before I start calling. I call until I reach someone. Too many stories of parents returning to daycare at the end of the day and finding out the child was in the car all day. Worth a few minutes of my time to check and make sure (and yes, I know it shouldn't be my job but I only watch 5 kids, you are not talking about me making hundreds of phone calls, maybe 2 or 3 times a week I have to text or call).
daycarediva 03:41 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I tell my DCP if you are not here 30 min past your drop off time I am going to call you.

but this works for me because I work on contracted hours with each parent.

If they are more than 30 min late they lose their spot without refund, without notice

if they are not here by 9am, they can not attend for the day
This is what I do, too. (We have many similar policies, daycare!!!)

I will NOT hold up our very busy day waiting for a client. I DO make exceptions for emergencies, car trouble and the like. Most of my clients are great about communicating with me. I have woken up parents who miss an alarm and are going to be late for work, that sort of thing.
originalkat 07:42 AM 07-11-2014
MY PARENT HANDBOOK SAYS:
I request that children arrive by 8:30 AM in order to take full advantage of the entire morning program. If you will be arriving later than this or will not be attending for the day, please call and notify me by 8:30 AM.

I usually always get a call or text to let me know. I give them until 9am and then I call or text them and ask if their child will be attending that day.
Reply Up