Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Daycare .com Member

Default Pull Up!!!

So let me preface by saying that I generally dislike pull ups very much. Parents use them on kids who should still be in diapers, and my program has a policy that only students that are actively potty training are permitted to use pull ups at school.

My reasons for this are 1. Pull ups are not diapers. They will leak a lot more. So children who are using pull ups as diapers, as in only toileting in the pull up, need to wear a diaper. 2. Being ready for pull ups should mean moving towards toileting independence. Once a child is in pull ups, I ask them to change them themselves if it is pee only. A teacher is there to assist, but we do encourage independence at that point. A young two year old is not up for this usually.

"No pull ups unless potty training" has become impossible to enforce. We have 3 students who are just over two, and have not begun to show any interest in the potty, at home or school as far as I am informed. Every diaper change, we must remove the shoes and pants, change the pull up, and redress the child. (So much easier with a diaper!) When I have spoken to the families about it, and showed them the handbook where the policy is, they still bring in pull ups.

Is this a ridiculous request? Most preschools in our area require potty training prior to enrollment, so I figure that I am only asking to keep diaper changes uncomplicated and quick. And not leaky. What should I do or say differently? Thank you!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Daycare.com Member

"tomorrow Hayden/Brayden/Aiden/whatever MUST have diapers. If he does not have diapers at drop off tomorrow, we will not be able to provide care for him".

That's all you need to say.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Daycare.com Member

I completely dislike pull ups as well. For my program I provide diapers and when a child arrives in a pull up and uses it as a diaper, I say nothing and change them into a diaper during changing times. Most of the ones that come in pull ups are not ready for them as you said. One in particular will hide and poop in his pull up and still poops in the tub at home but mom insists on sending him in pull ups, saying she hopes he gets the hang of it before he turns 3. She's wasting money on those things. If I were not able to provide diapers, then I would send home a notice stating per policy I do not allow pull ups. I would also state that any child that comes in pull ups will be changed in to diapers and the parent will be billed $x.xx for each diaper used. This fee is expected to be paid prior to the next drop off or care will be refused until the fee is paid. Unfortunately it has been proven that sometimes parents don't abide by the rules because the consequences are not harsh enough. Hit their pockets and TAH-DAH!!! their ears open up and they magically follow the rules.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:18 PM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

Why are they allowed to be dropped off in pull ups? Check the child and make sure the diapers are in stock. If the parent is turned away they will show up with diapers.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Why are they allowed to be dropped off in pull ups? Check the child and make sure the diapers are in stock. If the parent is turned away they will show up with diapers.
I agree with this. I would post a big fat notice at the door saying starting XXX day this will happen. That day would probably be the day after the notice was posted.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Daycare.com Member

I'm not a pull up fan either. Can't you just rip them in the side to take them off and most have Velcro like a diaper, so they can be put on the same way. Unless they are generic- not sure if those have Velcro? Anyway, agree that if it's your policy, they need to quit bringing them in- it's true they aren't as absorbent and even with pulling them on and off like a diaper, it's a bit of a pain. I don't know why people rush their kids, which in turn winds up taking longer for potty training because they just get used to peeing in the pull Up. Sounds like you have a good handle on potty training and these parents need to respect your policy!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:49 AM
FCC Educator

Not a pull up fan either.

I agree with what everyone is saying.....enforce your policies with a note for all. Might even be a good idea to have everyone sign, date, and return it for their file, give them a copy. Then be prepared to stand your ground....no diaper, no care! Unless you do, they will keep doing what they are doing.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

Here is a tip.
Rip the used pull up off.
Take ONE leg out of the shoes and pants.
Put the leg that still has pants and shoes on through the leg hole of the pull up and pull the empty pants leg through it as well.
Then pull the pull up all the way up and put the one leg pan l back into the pants and shoes.

This method is so much faster as you just have to remove one leg.
Does that make sense?

It sounds like you are in a center. Will they back their policies? I worked at one that wouldn't.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have never worked in a center, so I don't know if they will back you on this. But at my home daycare, I would send them away in the morning.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
"tomorrow Hayden/Brayden/Aiden/whatever MUST have diapers. If he does not have diapers at drop off tomorrow, we will not be able to provide care for him".

That's all you need to say.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

My policies say that if a child's supply of "consumables" runs out I'll provide the items for a fee.

Tell the parents that Child is out of diapers, then if they don't bring any you supply diapers and charge a "supply fee" for each one.