Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Destruction!
Jo123ABC 08:38 AM 11-01-2018
How do you all feel about the inevitable destruction that comes along with operating a home daycare? I hate it! I just had one rip one of my vertical blinds in half this morning and I'm sick of adding stuff to a growing list of stuff I can't afford because this job pays like crap
Rockgirl 11:43 AM 11-01-2018
Honestly, I don’t experience more than just the normal and expected wear and tear. It does help that I have a separate daycare space—they don’t spend much time in my family’s areas of the house. But when they do, they’re not allowed on my furniture, and I’m very strict about not allowing them to touch my things. Years ago, before we converted our garage into the daycare room, a dcd showed up for pickup, and his son immediately climbed onto my couch and started jumping. When I called dcb out on it, his dad said, “I guess that’s just part of having kids in your house, huh?” Uhhh, NO.
boy_mom 11:51 AM 11-01-2018
I never had terrible wear and tear but the daily beating the daycare area took was noticeable. I felt like I spent a lot of time cleaning walls, spot painting, carpet cleaning and eventually replacing, etc.

When we moved I decided to close my daycare because we would not have had the same separate space to use for daycare and I didnt want my new home to have the same kind of wear that comes with lots of kids everywhere!
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 11-01-2018
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Honestly, I don’t experience more than just the normal and expected wear and tear. It does help that I have a separate daycare space—
It's similar here too. Separate space makes a HUGE difference! I have no adult furniture so it doesn't get worn or used. I also spend an enormous amount of time teaching the kids not to stand on things they aren't suppose to, putting their feet on walls or toys etc and that type of thing.

The kids sit properly in chairs etc as they are meant for their sizes.... I teach them to be careful when playing.... they really aren't allowed to play while standing...other than a few centers where it's unavoidable. They are also not really allowed to touch each other...no rough housing, rolling around in play etc with each other.

The no standing rule is probably the biggest influence on not having things accidentally broken etc. It naturally creates a calmer environment when seated/sitting.
Unregistered 02:26 PM 11-01-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's similar here too. Separate space makes a HUGE difference! I have no adult furniture so it doesn't get worn or used. I also spend an enormous amount of time teaching the kids not to stand on things they aren't suppose to, putting their feet on walls or toys etc and that type of thing.

The kids sit properly in chairs etc as they are meant for their sizes.... I teach them to be careful when playing.... they really aren't allowed to play while standing...other than a few centers where it's unavoidable. They are also not really allowed to touch each other...no rough housing, rolling around in play etc with each other.

The no standing rule is probably the biggest influence on not having things accidentally broken etc. It naturally creates a calmer environment when seated/sitting.
Wow, your daycare sounds fun!
e.j. 02:35 PM 11-01-2018
I don't like the wear and tear on my house but I look at it as a part of doing day care. I've had to replace my table and chairs in the dining area several times over the years because they get scratched up and worn out from so much use. (Last year, I smartened up and bought some seat covers and cushions to protect my newest set of chairs and I use a vinyl tablecloth on the table during day care hour. So far, it seems to be helping.) My front porch needs painting every year because the paint gets worn off from all the foot traffic and the rug in my breezeway has been replaced a few times. Other than that, it hasn't been too bad. Toys and books get damaged now and then but I think that's to be expected even if you don't have a kid that is being intentionally rough.
Annalee 05:19 PM 11-01-2018

Same here! It does take alot of "reminding; rinse and repeat" sometimes but it can happen. I have severel child-sized tables to avoid the standing/running/jumping around thing.
Meeko 07:35 PM 11-01-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Your sarcasm is not lost...

While having fun is part of daycare...so is learning manners, learning what is safe behavior, learning to obey rules, preparing to enter kindergarten, learning to listen etc etc.

The object of daycare is for a provider to teach and prepare children for life and to keep them safe while their parents are away. Not provide a place for a free for all "fun" riot.

I too expect good manners and expect children to respect my home. I too do not let children madly run around the room because it's "fun". I expect them to sit to play. We can run around outside.

Oh...and we also have a ton of fun.
Gemma 04:37 AM 11-02-2018

This is me also, kids play toys sitting down (aside from kitchen room) but I do allow them to stand or walk around as long as they do it in a relaxed manner
Gemma 04:42 AM 11-02-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:

While having fun is part of daycare...so is learning manners, learning what is safe behavior, learning to obey rules, preparing to enter kindergarten, learning to listen etc etc.

The object of daycare is for a provider to teach and prepare children for life and to keep them safe while their parents are away. Not provide a place for a free for all "fun" riot.

I too expect good manners and expect children to respect my home. I too do not let children madly run around the room because it's "fun". I expect them to sit to play. We can run around outside.

likethi
Honestly I look at my dcks when they age out feeling proud and wondering how poor their behavior would be, if I hadn't taught them rules, limits and respect
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 11-02-2018

I totally understand how some people may view things as rigid or strict but honestly, if all parents taught their child(ren) basic respect for others (this includes physical person/belongings) from the beginning some of the rigid or strict rules wouldn't be necessary or even "common" but evidence that life should basically be a free for all while we point fingers at how we think others are doing wrong is what's killing the human race.

It's proof that parents are failing their children and robbing them of the ability to be positive, meaningful, responsible and contributing members of society.

The sarcasm from those that may not agree or even begin to understand the effort providers invest deeply into teaching their DCK's is a perfect example of someone raised to think they are some how better than or know better than everyone else.

As for my daycare being fun.... Sure! At times it most definitely is! But safety, personal rights, respect (again for person and object) is far more important than fun.

Besides "fun" is over rated anyways
I'd much rather deal with respectful, kind, helpful, supportive and genuine human beings.
Sadly, they're a dying breed.
storybookending 07:32 AM 11-02-2018
I haven’t had too much destruction from daycare kids yet but I am only in my first couple of years. Paint touch ups here and there and honestly some of them are probably my own fault. I did have a 8-10 month old knawing on my table and now the edge where he sits has some bite marks but thankfully he sits on the table leaf and it can be removed or the table turned to face the other way if I didn’t want to see it. I allow kids on furniture only between the 2-3 o’clock hour if they have woken early from nap and choose to watch something on TV over quietly playing in the living room while they wait for the rest of their friends to wake. They sit on their bottoms or they get off is the rule.
Baby Beluga 08:03 AM 11-02-2018

Besides "fun" is over rated anyways
I'd much rather deal with respectful, kind, helpful, supportive and genuine human beings.
Sadly, they're a dying breed.
This is oh so true. Can I also add that you have more fun with people who are respectful, kind, helpful, supportive and genuine. Those who aren't...who wants to be around them, let alone have fun with them

I have a new family. They just finished their first month with me and the dad says to the two year old at each drop off "are you going to obey today?" He says it in a kind, understanding, yet firm way. It's a simple word and command, yet it is instilling respect in this little girl. A lifelong skill.

And let me tell you, this little girl is hands down the sweetest and most kind child I have probably ever had in my care. I adore her. And she is such a pleasure to have fun with.
Josiegirl 10:54 AM 11-02-2018
"The sarcasm from those that may not agree or even begin to understand the effort providers invest deeply into teaching their DCK's is a perfect example of someone raised to think they are some how better than or know better than everyone else."

I guess I don't understand that statement BC. I know it wasn't directed to me, obviously, cause I hadn't posted yet. I am the last one to ever think I am better than or know more than everyone else, lord knows that, a humble high school graduate with a dump truck load of experience. But I believe children need to move, learn through exploration with their feet, fingers, hands, legs, every single part of their body. Running in the house? No. Jumping off tables? Of course not. That is why we have backyards and playgrounds. I am not a school nor an institution of any kind, merely a mom who had 4 kids of her own, and tons of others' kids. I don't teach them their ABC's or 123's, how to write their names, etc., etc., unless they show a definite interest and ask for my help. I do expose them to lots of stories, playing, exploration, and all that comes with being a kid. I do teach them self help skills, self control, respect, kindness, being a friend, manners, etc.
Inside, we have been playing with collapsible tunnels and a play tent, also stepping stones. We play movement games all the time. I have toddlers, an infant and a couple kids that come after school. Yes, there have been kids that have been rough on the house, 1 broke a gate due to his temper, same dcb along with another 1 broke a CD player a few years back. As much as we teach respect/manners, so much depends on their upbringing and temperament too. All that we teach them cannot always trump their disposition or genetic traits.
I know we all do things differently so I'd have to say my way is different than yours. But to suggest someone like me, wouldn't have a clue as to the effort providers take to teach their dcks or somehow that I'd think I'm better??
There. I had my say.
Annalee 11:28 AM 11-02-2018
When I first began child care, I felt intimidated by those with more experience because I felt I could never reach the point they were at. I even thought they were "mean" to parents but now, after 26+ years, I get it! As I mentor younger providers, I tell them upfront "take it all in, and NEVER say you will or want do something because there are levels of growth in this business and you WILL find yourself one day understanding why providers do what they do".

I have the education and the experience, but I text, call, email regularly to those I consider my mentors...no day/child/family is the same. We all need encouragement. This is also evidenced on this forum as we all share good/bad experiences and how to fix them. Just my thoughts on this!
Unregistered 11:50 AM 11-02-2018

Your daycare sounds even more fun. I would expect my child would be just as excited to attend a military boot camp.
Unregistered 11:58 AM 11-02-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
"The sarcasm from those that may not agree or even begin to understand the effort providers invest deeply into teaching their DCK's is a perfect example of someone raised to think they are some how better than or know better than everyone else."

I guess I don't understand that statement BC. I know it wasn't directed to me, obviously, cause I hadn't posted yet. I am the last one to ever think I am better than or know more than everyone else, lord knows that, a humble high school graduate with a dump truck load of experience. But I believe children need to move, learn through exploration with their feet, fingers, hands, legs, every single part of their body. Running in the house? No. Jumping off tables? Of course not. That is why we have backyards and playgrounds. I am not a school nor an institution of any kind, merely a mom who had 4 kids of her own, and tons of others' kids. I don't teach them their ABC's or 123's, how to write their names, etc., etc., unless they show a definite interest and ask for my help. I do expose them to lots of stories, playing, exploration, and all that comes with being a kid. I do teach them self help skills, self control, respect, kindness, being a friend, manners, etc.
Inside, we have been playing with collapsible tunnels and a play tent, also stepping stones. We play movement games all the time. I have toddlers, an infant and a couple kids that come after school. Yes, there have been kids that have been rough on the house, 1 broke a gate due to his temper, same dcb along with another 1 broke a CD player a few years back. As much as we teach respect/manners, so much depends on their upbringing and temperament too. All that we teach them cannot always trump their disposition or genetic traits.
I know we all do things differently so I'd have to say my way is different than yours. But to suggest someone like me, wouldn't have a clue as to the effort providers take to teach their dcks or somehow that I'd think I'm better??
There. I had my say.
I agree with you on letting children move and interact ect. Having a child sit around and play is ridiculous. I was the sarcastic person above that caused all the above responses. The kids I care for and have cared for were/are aloud to play like normal kids. They are not in boot camp at my house and my house is not destroyed at all.
Meeko 11:59 AM 11-02-2018
Your daycare sounds even more fun. I would expect my child would be just as excited to attend a military boot camp.
Isn't it great that there are all kinds of daycare available for your children?

You are free to try and find a place where your children can run wild, damage property at will and never learn to be a productive member of society.

However....good luck finding a kindergarten teacher who will be happy with your child running around the room screaming and having "fun".........

It is not "boot camp" to expect a child to learn simple rules and have respect for others.
Blackcat31 12:48 PM 11-02-2018

There. I had my say.
Okay, now I am confused.

My comment was basically saying that some one feels the need to come to this forum and post a sarcastic comment in reference to something a provider posted proves that that person doesn't understand the length and efforts providers (ALL providers...you and me both) go to in order to teach our daycare kids how to be wonderful little people with respect, manners and self confidence.

I wasn't in any way saying anything about academics or making comments about what "house rules" each provider has or doesn't have.

I was defending MY post about my house rules to someone (unregistered) that was obviously making a snide/rude comment about what I said.

Yes, we all do things differently but I didn't say anyone was more right or wrong than the others. I am lost on the "suggest someone like me" comment......I wasn't referring to anyone other than the unregistered poster.
MomBoss 12:52 PM 11-02-2018
Ive been doing daycare for 3 years and it amazes me how fast these kids ruin toys. My own kids respect their toys but these kids it seems deliberate. I dont let them have books because all they do is peel at the cardboard and rip the pages. They pull the stuffing out of dolls and animals. They oull the decorative stickers off of toys.
The list goes on.
Blackcat31 01:09 PM 11-02-2018
What is your problem?

Why does it bother you so much that someone does something differently than you do?

It's fine if you don't do things like I do. It's fine if you don't want to do things like I do. It's fine if you do whatever you want to do, but why the need to be negative to someone that does things differently?

Is your way the only way?
Am I a horrible person because I choose to have different rules, policies or philosophies than you? (fyi: I don't really care what your answer is ) but why the need to be rude or snide? Does it make you feel better? More superior?
If so, go ahead I guess....makes no difference in my world so if it's satisfying for you to be snide and condescending to others be my guest.

I happen to believe that we should be supporting one another, lifting each other up and learning from all different ideas, thoughts and practices that are mentioned on this board. I think that the world would be a much better place over all if we all tried to help build each other up verses tear each other down.

But what do I know? I'm sitting down here on the floor quietly snuggling with one of my littlest babes that looks forward to this special one on one time we have every day together. But yeah....it's almost time to clean the latrine and practice marching so I better get the rest of my little soldiers up so they don't miss out on all the fun here.

I sincerely hope you have a good day and some where in it, you find some happiness.
Meeko 11:20 PM 11-02-2018
What is your problem?

Why does it bother you so much that someone does something differently than you do?

It's fine if you don't do things like I do. It's fine if you don't want to do things like I do. It's fine if you do whatever you want to do, but why the need to be negative to someone that does things differently?

Am I a horrible person because I choose to have different rules, policies or philosophies than you? (fyi: I don't really care what your answer is ) but why the need to be rude or snide? Does it make you feel better? More superior?
If so, go ahead I guess....makes no difference in my world so if it's satisfying for you to be snide and condescending to others be my guest.

I happen to believe that we should be supporting one another, lifting each other up and learning from all different ideas, thoughts and practices that are mentioned on this board. I think that the world would be a much better place over all if we all tried to help build each other up verses tear each other down.

But what do I know? I'm sitting down here on the floor quietly snuggling with one of my littlest babes that looks forward to this special one on one time we have every day together. But yeah....it's almost time to clean the latrine and practice marching so I better get the rest of my little soldiers up so they don't miss out on all the fun here.

I sincerely hope you have a good day and some where in it, you find some happiness.

BrynleeJean 08:08 AM 11-03-2018
i agree with rinse and repeat to keep it from happening. kids like the structure. parents may not think it looks stimulating but Im not running a disneyland free for all. I may even find my constant pace mundane but the more it is the better they do and the happier and safer they feel and better things run.

I am sorry about your blind though. I once had a child who was secretly sticking boogers on my wall during nap... my very chalky walls

Theres also this faint dark line down my hall from where the kids run their hands when they walk (not by my teaching just by little ones nature to touch things)

And my poor carpets thought brand new get so matted it almost seems like i should have a professional come out once a month to get those suckers clean.

All normal. id say the blind thing isn't as normal. maybe keep those blind up during the day if they are at child height and in the play space.
Unregistered 10:49 AM 11-03-2018
What is your problem?

Thank you for the heartfelt novel type response. Did you leave such a lengthy response because you felt the need to defend your boring daycare? Or do you just have a lot of extra time on your hands because your dcks are just sitting doing nothing.
Blackcat31 03:46 PM 11-03-2018
Thank you for the heartfelt novel type response. Did you leave such a lengthy response because you felt the need to defend your boring daycare? Or do you just have a lot of extra time on your hands because your dcks are just sitting doing nothing.
Feel better now?
Unregistered 02:48 AM 11-04-2018

I guess I don't understand that statement BC. I know it wasn't directed to me, obviously, cause I hadn't posted yet. I am the last one to ever think I am better than or know more than everyone else, lord knows that, a humble high school graduate with a dump truck load of experience.
There. I had my say.
Yup. I'd say this unneccesary sarcasm/tendency to circle the wagons and quickly personal attack others that bring any disagreement is really "what's killing the human race".
Rockgirl 07:09 AM 11-04-2018
Yup. I'd say this unneccesary sarcasm/tendency to circle the wagons and quickly personal attack others that bring any disagreement is really "what's killing the human race".
Assuming you’re the same unregistered poster throughout this thread and the ‘I love you’ one, you’re the one issuing personal attacks. The only one, in fact.
Tags:broken items, costs, damages, reimbursement, sock puppet, supervision
Reply Up