Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Getting Tubes
Ac114 07:01 AM 01-08-2019
Good morning! I have a child in my care that is getting tubes tomorrow. He comes Tuesday thru Thursday. I don’t think he will be well enough to return to care on Thursday but idk. I’ve never had a child have tubes. What are your thoughts? They may just keep him home but I’d rather be preventative and let them know he can’t come before they even try.
Cat Herder 07:07 AM 01-08-2019
Both of our boys had them and had no issues. Well, other than not being allowed to go swimming or play in the sprinklers for a bit. They were both at home with me, though, with the home daycare.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 01-08-2019
Originally Posted by Ac114:
Good morning! I have a child in my care that is getting tubes tomorrow. He comes Tuesday thru Thursday. I don’t think he will be well enough to return to care on Thursday but idk. I’ve never had a child have tubes. What are your thoughts? They may just keep him home but I’d rather be preventative and let them know he can’t come before they even try.
I don't know the procedure they use for inserting tubes but any time a child has ANY medical procedure done I exclude for 24 hours so they would not be allowed to attend the following day.

Just as a precaution and my own comfort level.
LittleExplorers 07:09 AM 01-08-2019
I have a policy that kids can not return within 24 hours of anesthesia and 48 hours of any hospitilazation or ER visit. With that said, most kiddos are fine as soon as anesthesia wears off.
Ac114 07:12 AM 01-08-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't know the procedure they use for inserting tubes but any time a child has ANY medical procedure done I exclude for 24 hours so they would not be allowed to attend the following day.

Just as a precaution and my own comfort level.
I just feel uncomfortable considering he’s 18 months old and I don’t know what could happen, or if he will still feel cranky etc. I just think it’s best for him to stay home with his mother or father.
Cat Herder 08:16 AM 01-08-2019
It is outpatient, the procedure lasts less than 20 minutes. The worst part is the IV. Kids are usually out the door less than an hour later. Mine actually felt better afterwards and could actually hear what was being said to them. No more eating chips or unwrapping candy without them knowing

If you are uncomfortable, it is completely your decision. They do drain a bit at first.

https://www.whattoexpect.com/groomin...-toddlers.aspx
Annalee 11:07 AM 01-08-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It is outpatient, the procedure lasts less than 20 minutes. The worst part is the IV. Kids are usually out the door less than an hour later. Mine actually felt better afterwards and could actually hear what was being said to them. No more eating chips or unwrapping candy without them knowing

If you are uncomfortable, it is completely your decision. They do drain a bit at first.

https://www.whattoexpect.com/groomin...-toddlers.aspx
After visiting medical doctors several times, I went for an appt at the ENT a few years ago due to an ear problem. The dr laid me on the table and put a tube in (I was 46) and it hurt like crazy but I drove myself home. I asked why he didn't put me to sleep like little kids. He said the only reason the kids are put to sleep is so they will be still and not move. So I took it from then on that this was a very minor procedure. It did hurt though. I think he did deaden it a little but obviously not enough.
storybookending 11:43 AM 01-08-2019
My niece had this and a clogged tear duct unclogged at the same time when she was about the same age or maybe even a bit younger and I had her the next day and she was fine. Honestly she could’ve came back that same day and saved mom half a vacation day by how normal she was acting st home that afternoon.
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 01-08-2019
For me, it's not the procedure being done but the fact that the child was under anesthesia. I like ALL of that to be completely out of their system before returning to care and have a complete day (24 hours) to cycle through everything before accepting them into care.

Like I said, mostly for my own comfort.
Snowmom 06:10 AM 01-09-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
For me, it's not the procedure being done but the fact that the child was under anesthesia. I like ALL of that to be completely out of their system before returning to care and have a complete day (24 hours) to cycle through everything before accepting them into care.

Like I said, mostly for my own comfort.

IMHO, it should be the parent's job to monitor for adverse side effects following a medical procedure. An in home provider who cares for multiple children of all ages cannot effectively monitor one child all day. This policy is for the safety of the child as well as the comfort level of the provider.
Tags:special needs, special needs children, special needs policy, tubes - iv
Reply Up