Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stinky Feet
Lucy 06:50 PM 10-18-2012
I have a 7-yr old girl with the stinkiest feet I've ever smelled. It grosses me out to smell them. I had a girl a few years back who was probably a couple years older than this one, and she had stinky feet too. It's not from being dirty -- it's just her scent when her feet sweat.

Sometimes it's because of wearing slip-on shoes without socks. I do get it that feet sweat inside shoes that don't breathe. Some smelliness is expected. But this girl is way beyond the normal. The times when it's been real bad, I asked her if she had taken a bath, and she said yes. This is a very clean, well-cared for family (I have her 4-yr old sis too). Her hair is always clean, so I know she bathes.

Yes, I realize that some people just have this problem worse than others, but I can't take it! Today I held a can of Oust, and kept spritzing it because it was making me ill. I don't want to embarrass her, but P. U.!!!!

I've thought about giving her a warm, soapy washcloth. Tomorrow is a no-school day, and if it's bad, I think that's what I'll do.

Anyone else had this problem???
laundrymom 07:03 PM 10-18-2012
My own daughter has a similar issue. We used alcohol on cotton swabs then dusted w baking soda. It helped. Maybe you could tell mom? Our doc said it was bacteria related. She also wore socks unless in flip flops.
Nickel 07:04 PM 10-18-2012
My nephew has very smelly feet. His feet just sweat all the time, not matter what type of socks or shoes he wears. And it is an across the room, make your eyes water smell. My brother and sil have him wash his feet after he takes off his socks. They try not to make a big deal out of it and make him feel bad, but it is pretty awful... Not sure if that will work for dcg.

Maybe you can give everyone a soapy wash cloth and you all can do a silly song about toes??? ya never know, they might have fun
ritah 07:06 PM 10-18-2012

It is so funny to see this post right now! My hubby and I were just talking about this at dinner tonight...

My 9-year-old daughter has a friend that occasionally comes to our house to play. She always wears tennis shoes with no socks. Everyone takes their shoes off when they come in our house and I almost gag when she takes hers off. And then it stinks in every room she goes in. It's a smell that permeates the whole house. I'm like you...walking around with a can of Oust. I feel bad talking about her this way, but it is what it is.

Hubby was telling me that he had really stinky feet when he was a kid and his parents made him soak his feet in bleach water...I couldn't believe it!
Kaddidle Care 04:23 AM 10-19-2012
Could be a milk allergy (or other food). And then again it just could be that nobody is washing her feet. Bleh!

I often have to remind my son to wash his feet when he goes in the shower.
Soccermom 05:22 AM 10-19-2012
My DD has a friend like that....I tolerate it when she is here but if I had her here everyday I would likely give her a soapy washcloth to wipe her feet with and then a fresh pair of socks to put on. I would also put some powder into her shoes.
I wouldn't feel bad mentionning it to DCM either. I would just say - I hope you don't mind but I put a bit of powder into DCG's shoes and had her wash her feet when she came in because I think her shoes are making her feet smell and I worry about the other DCKS making her feel bad about it.
I'm sure DCM wouldn't want her DD feeling bad because her feet smell. Poor thing. The other kids must notice it.
countrymom 05:48 AM 10-19-2012
my dd is like this too and she's 12. I will bet you its the socks. Socks that have more nylon in the don't absorb sweat mainly its those cute socks. She needs to wear cotton socks, which usually only come in white. You can buy powder for the shoes, its yellow but it works too.
DaisyMamma 11:16 AM 10-19-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
my dd is like this too and she's 12. I will bet you its the socks. Socks that have more nylon in the don't absorb sweat mainly its those cute socks. She needs to wear cotton socks, which usually only come in white. You can buy powder for the shoes, its yellow but it works too.
I find this interesting about the socks! My daughter gets stinky feet sometimes and she wears those thin nylon socks. I'm going to buy her some new cotton socks when we are out tonight and see if it helps.
daycarediva 11:54 AM 10-19-2012
My dcg has nasty smelling feet too. She's also 7. I have an air freshener that I tuck in with the shoes and sprinkle baking soda in her shoes daily. Mom is aware and says "She just has sweaty feet" Im thinking dcg doesn't wash well, and wears thin socks as pp mentioned, and those HEAVY *** style boots.
Reply Up