Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Day, Almost An Hour...And Counting, Late Pickup!
DaycareKim 04:25 PM 09-09-2013
Title basically says it all, parent claims accident on highway due to rain, no apology...Very frustrated. Due I charge for let's pick up due to accident? I had a nail appointment I'm going to miss ://
Willow 04:30 PM 09-09-2013
Definitely charge the late fee. If you don't you're going to open yourself up right out the shoots to it happening over and over and over again.

Is there anything on the news? An accident causing that level of disruption would definitely make at least the local.

Don't they have anyone else who can pick up? I'd definitely encourage them to start coming up with a list of backups in case anything like this happens again.

I'm so sorry, what a crummy start
Sugar Magnolia 04:43 PM 09-09-2013
Holy cow, I had that happen only a couple months ago, mom was in JAIL! Got arrested first day her.child was in care. ...Wow......hugs.for you!
Crazy8 04:45 PM 09-09-2013
definitely charge!!!! hope you have a nice high late fee. You need to nip this in the bud or there may be a reason every week why they are late.
cheerfuldom 05:16 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Holy cow, I had that happen only a couple months ago, mom was in JAIL! Got arrested first day her.child was in care. ...Wow......hugs.for you!
are you serious!?!?! what is the full story? I have to hear this one
Blackcat31 05:25 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
are you serious!?!?! what is the full story? I have to hear this one
I PM'ed you... It's in the private area
jenn 06:25 PM 09-09-2013
I would charge the late fee. If you let it slide now, they will expect it later.
DaycareKim 06:36 PM 09-09-2013
Thanks ladies! My husband said the same thing. He was pretty bothered by it too. Turns out she works too far/gets out too late and knew this but failed to tell me. I need to grow a backbon. She said she will give me $50 tomorrow, she ended up being an hour and 20 mins past closing time...she owes me more then $50. No family or friends in the state. I'm not thinking this one will last long.
craftymissbeth 06:40 PM 09-09-2013
If it were me and she owed me more than $50 then I'd be charging her whatever the real amount is, ya know? Did you tell her it was $50 or did she suggest that amount?
Willow 07:10 PM 09-09-2013
If she works too far out does that mean she's fixin to do the exact same thing tomorrow?

I hope along with compensation she has a plan to not let it happen again!

(I'd be wondering why she can't find anyone closer to her work too.....hate to be paranoid but did she run through all the other closer providers and now she's stuck going that far away?)
Hunni Bee 07:58 PM 09-09-2013
So she lied about the highway accident?
Cradle2crayons 08:12 PM 09-09-2013
My three sibling sets's mom tried that lying stuff.

While both of my moms work far away from here (both work 45 minutes away), and I do understand they both work around bad traffic, I can only be so understanding,

This particular mom works as a server at a very busy restaurant that doesn't close until midnight. Which would give her 15-30 minutes to clean up and tip out and then drive home. I caught her lying saying they didn't get off until late, she got pulled over, car wouldn't start etc etc etc.

So, after 1:30 am, regardless of the reason, she pays a $40 late fee. After that her car seemed to crank, she got off work on time, and the numerous pull overs seemed to stop entirely. I also make her bring me a clock out computer receipt every single night at pickup to PROVE to me when she clocks in and when she clocks out. I hated it came to this, but I caught her lying so many time so she could go out and party with her friends while the kids were here until ungodly hours of the night.

My other mom is the complete opposite. She RUSHES here to get her two kids. And you can tell her parenting just by that one fact. She doesn't sneak around behind my back, doesn't lie to me, and her children are awesome additions to my daycare.

The other three, well lets just say she drops them off in a hot mess post Mountain Dew fog at 300 pm or 400 pm with NO NAP. they have no self help skills, no personal hygiene skills. They don't know how to clean up toys or eat with utensils either. It's slow going but were working on it.

My point with this long post is that we don't do these parents any favors by enabling their bad behavior. And we don't do ourselves a favor either. Charge them accordingly and don't feel a single bit bad about it.
DaycareKim 04:44 AM 09-10-2013
I live in a military town, all my families are military. Mom and Dad bought a home, was still being finished when they signed up with me. I guess they didn't realize how bad the traffic is in our area, especially at drop off/pick up time. There WAS an accident, but it took my husband an extra 20 minutes - not hour and 20. Dad had to go back to old state for schooling. Being military, no family friends in the area.
I feel bad for her, but she told me she has been looking for a morning/evening sitter so she must have known the traffic situation...no word on how today is going to go
Cradle2crayons 04:51 AM 09-10-2013
Sounds like mom and dad need to sign up a back up provider. Ask neighbors, make friends.

I require all parents to provide me with a backup.

What is mom going to do when you are closed and she has to work. What's she going to do when the kids are sick and excluded.

I understand not having any family support etc. but mom and dad need to get it together. They are adults. And they are responsible for the care of little ones. In the end, all the excuses in the world won't replace them getting their act together. It's called responsibility.

On another note. All my late pick up fees are due and paid at the time of pick up on the day they are late. Dcm is like a child. If she doesn't get immediate consequences for her behavior, she'll never learn a lesson. And immediate consequences that sting a little wont hurt.
momofboys 04:53 AM 09-10-2013
Did she pay the late fee??
DaycareKim 05:11 AM 09-10-2013
Yup, she paid it at drop off.
Play Care 05:19 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareKim:
Yup, she paid it at drop off.
Was it the full fee or the $50 she said she was going to pay?
Don't let them tell you it's going to be. They wouldn't tell any other business how much they are going to pay them.
MotherNature 05:30 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
If she works too far out does that mean she's fixin to do the exact same thing tomorrow?

I hope along with compensation she has a plan to not let it happen again!

(I'd be wondering why she can't find anyone closer to her work too.....hate to be paranoid but did she run through all the other closer providers and now she's stuck going that far away?)
This! Especially the last paragraph.
Emsdayhome 11:24 AM 09-10-2013
my son`s preschool charged $1 per minute after 6pm (closing time) and it had to be paid in CASH to whoever was closing the school up.
DaycareKim 03:32 PM 09-10-2013
5:33, second day. No text or call.
MotherNature 04:17 PM 09-10-2013
Do you close at 5? I'd demand a late fee & let her know she's risking termination.
Willow 04:20 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
Do you close at 5? I'd demand a late fee & let her know she's risking termination.
Yep. I'd tell her she's on her second strike, three and she isn't allowed to return the next day.
DaycareKim 04:28 PM 09-10-2013
5:30. She showed up at 5:41, with a "it wasn't that bad today!". I said nothing. Goodbye to the kids and locked the door. You ladies were right about her walking all over me now. How do I term her? I don't like conflict but I am DONE.
Starburst 04:48 PM 09-10-2013
If it caused you to be late for an appointment and it was more than 1/2 hour (especially with no apology or attempt at one) I would charge! Especially if it is in the contract.

Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
When my former boss started her FCC and was in the process of getting licensed (back in the 70s) she advertised at a laundry mat and a mom contacted her and wanted to start right away (pretty much her first daycare family). The first day the mom dropped her son off, and everything seemed normal but the mom was really late. They didn't have cell phones back then. So she couldn't get ahold of DCM, mom didn't leave any emergency numbers or back ups. After a while she called the cops. I guess the cops some how figured out (or just concluded) that the boy's mother was a prostitute and abandoned DCB! After that he was placed into the system (foster care) and as far as my boss knows the mom never came back for him.
JoseyJo 08:05 PM 09-10-2013
5:30. She showed up at 5:41, with a "it wasn't that bad today!". I said nothing. Goodbye to the kids and locked the door. You ladies were right about her walking all over me now. How do I term her? I don't like conflict but I am DONE.
In the morning at p/u "DCM, I just wanted to remind you that I close at 5:30. I need you to be here to pick up by then. Is that going to be a problem?"

(Then if she says no) "Okay, that's good because I cannot continue to just charge late fees, if my close time does not work for you then we are not a good fit and you will need to find other daycare."

(If she says maybe or yes) "I am sorry DCM, my close time is not negotiable, I cannot continue to just charge late fees, if my close time does not work for you then we are not a good fit and you will need to find other daycare."

If she is late again I would have a term notice in hand and give it to her when she picks up.
momofboys 06:28 AM 09-11-2013
5:33, second day. No text or call.
I would let her know today at pick up that she owes you a late fee for the 5:40ish pick up (and don't accept child in care without the fee) & that if it happens again you will term her, no ifs ands or buts! Sorry you are dealing with this!
DaycareKim 07:42 AM 09-11-2013
I'm printing out the letter now. She stated she MAY have someone lined up to pick up the kids by 5:30. How does that help me now when my kids have sports immediatly after I close? So frusterated
Play Care 07:53 AM 09-11-2013
I'm printing out the letter now. She stated she MAY have someone lined up to pick up the kids by 5:30. How does that help me now when my kids have sports immediatly after I close? So frusterated
When she said that, you say "you WILL have them picked up by my closing time." The fact is she signed on to your dc knowing your hours didn't work for her. She's banking on you being to timid/desperate to tell her like it is or term her. The real question here is, how long are you going to let her run your show?
MotherNature 08:40 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:

When my former boss started her FCC and was in the process of getting licensed (back in the 70s) she advertised at a laundry mat and a mom contacted her and wanted to start right away (pretty much her first daycare family). The first day the mom dropped her son off, and everything seemed normal but the mom was really late. They didn't have cell phones back then. So she couldn't get ahold of DCM, mom didn't leave any emergency numbers or back ups. After a while she called the cops. I guess the cops some how figured out (or just concluded) that the boy's mother was a prostitute and abandoned DCB! After that he was placed into the system (foster care) and as far as my boss knows the mom never came back for him.
wow! poor kid. wonder if he turned out ok.
snowball 05:07 PM 09-11-2013
Was she on time today?
DaycareKim 06:55 AM 09-12-2013
Of course not, 14 min late. My son ended up in ER for his asthma (still here next day) so I wouldn't have my sub let them go.
snowball 07:13 AM 09-12-2013
Of course not, 14 min late. My son ended up in ER for his asthma (still here next day) so I wouldn't have my sub let them go.
I hope your son is okay. Once he is better i would term, it sounds like she will never be on time.
Crazy8 07:14 AM 09-12-2013
Hope your son is ok. Once you are home you need to draw up the termination letter. She's already proven this is going to become a habit.
Tags:late pick up fee
Reply Up