Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Allowing Parents Access to the House. Is This Good Enough?
skybluepink02 06:22 PM 04-15-2014
I'm in the process of getting together my licensing paperwork, and setting up my playroom to start a daycare in the next couple months. The part about allowing parents access to the house while their kids are in care is tripping me up.

My playroom will be in my basement, which has it's own entrance from outside. My plan is to lock all the upstairs doors at all times, for safety reasons, and keep the basement door unlocked to allow parents access. Is this adequate for licensing? Am I allowed to lock the basement door as long as I let parents in immediately? I live in a very safe neighborhood. We can regularly leave bikes out in the front yard with no problems. However, I feel uneasy leaving everything unlocked if we are all downstairs and out of easy ear-shot.
Heidi 06:41 PM 04-15-2014
In our state, "access" does not mean they can just walk in without knocking or you unlocking the door. It just means, if they say "I want to see my child", you comply.

I even discourage (verbally) visiting during afternoon quiet time. If a parent insisted, I would of course, give them access. No one has ever insisted.
Laurel 06:45 PM 04-15-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
In our state, "access" does not mean they can just walk in without knocking or you unlocking the door. It just means, if they say "I want to see my child", you comply.

I even discourage (verbally) visiting during afternoon quiet time. If a parent insisted, I would of course, give them access. No one has ever insisted.

I would never leave a door unlocked. If a parent can walk in then a child could walk out. Plus, just the safety aspect.

Laurel
skybluepink02 07:13 PM 04-15-2014
Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll double check with the inspector, once I get to the point of having them come out, but that eases my mind a lot.
NightOwl 07:38 PM 04-15-2014
Yes, that doesn't mean they can browse through your home or anything. That just means you don't withhold their child for any reason. I keep my doors locked also, but I go straight to the door when the bell rings. That way, I'm not denying them access, I'm just ensuring the safety of the children and myself.
blandino 08:05 PM 04-15-2014

Yes, that is how I take it too. You can't stop them from seeing their child.

HOWEVER, I don't allow drop offs and pick ups during nap time. I don't know if technically that would constitute "not having access to their child". Because, clearly, if a parent came during nap - I wouldn't tell them they couldn't have their child. For me, that rule is more asking them to not come during nap time.

I also allow them access to their child anytime they wish, but if you stop by to visit, you will take your child with you. That is way to confusing to a child, and causes way to much distress.
jenn 09:10 PM 04-15-2014
My doors are locked at all times. They have to ring the bell and then wait for me to answer. I don't think it means you have to allow free access for them to browse through your home.
daycarediva 03:45 AM 04-16-2014

This.

I also have the same rest time pick up policy. I HIGHLY discourage it. If a parent does it repeatedly, I will usually terminate care as it's THAT disruptive.
coolconfidentme 04:27 AM 04-16-2014
Licensing did a walk though upstairs during the initial license inspection. I am required to have a fire extinguisher at the top of the stairs & a baby gate at the bottom. It's off limits to children AND parents & doesn't need to be inspected again. Only the fire extinguisher will need to be checked, she advised. Doors can be locked. I live in Indiana.
DaisyMamma 05:07 AM 04-16-2014
Keep it locked. During interviews just verbally tell parents that because of the setup and for the children's safety they need to call/text when they're coming so you know to let them in.
Reply Up