Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Napping
tenderhearts 08:16 AM 12-30-2014
What type of an infant schedule would you put a 5 month old on? He wakes about 5:00 or 5:30 at home, nurses then goes back to sleep about 6ish catnaps for about 20 minutes (thats ALL he does with any nap) then he arrives here at 7:00 am?
Leigh 08:39 AM 12-30-2014
My infants arrive at 7:30, play, breakfast at 8:30, nap from 9-11:30, eat lunch, play, then take a short nap around 3:30 or 4:00 until 4:30 or 4:45. Both like a long morning nap and a shorter afternoon one (45 minutes to an hour). I didn't set the schedule so much as follow their cues and put them down when they're ready. Both of mine are older infants.
Shell 10:45 AM 12-30-2014
I think it's Nannyde that puts infants back to sleep at arrival (I could be wrong), but this is the best advice. Put the baby back down as soon as you can, if the baby is fed, changed, and only napping for 20 mins, baby needs more sleep. When they are that young, I try and put them down anywhere from an hour to two hours after waking- that time frame increases as they get older. Hope that helps.
finsup 10:49 AM 12-30-2014
For my infants, I follow their lead on a schedule. It takes about 2 weeks, we get into a pattern and it ends up working out pretty well. Right now I have an 8 month old who's day look's like this:
Arrives at 8ish, plays for about an hour then has his first 8oz bottle. Plays for a little while after that, morning nap at 9:30-10. Morning nap is about an hour. Then he has his solids for lunch around 11:30-12, plays until 1:30. At 1:30 he has his second (and last) 8oz bottle. Then typically plays for half an hour, then afternoon nap. Afternoon nap lasts about 2 hours. Then he plays until time to go home.

But if I took the time to write out my daughter (who's almost 8 months) schedule, it would look somewhat different. Partly because she's breastfed and is not nearly as good of a sleeper as this dcb is! I'm lucky if I get an hour nap from her lol. But yeah, anytime I've had infants I've just let them lead and it always works out by the second week or so. Once they turn 1, then they get put on the same schedule as the "big kids." With the exception of I let them have a morning nap if they still need it (and it doesn't disrupt regular nap time).
tenderhearts 06:50 AM 12-31-2014
Thank you, his lead is hard since he's so different every day. Since he catnaps he seems to be happier if he takes like 4 cat naps opposed to trying to keep him up and doing 2 naps.
Kimskiddos 08:52 AM 12-31-2014
My 6mo arrives at 7:30 has a bottle between 8 and 8:30 and then down for a nap right after for 1 to 1 1/2 hours (I generally have to wake her). Then she's up and busy! She has lunch and another bottle with the other kiddos around 12PM and then down for a 2 to 2 1/2 hour nap. Another bottle around 4PM and then Mom arrives.

We have been working towards this schedule since she started at 4mo and she is doing great! I did have to swaddle her initially because she was not used to the pack n play, but that didn't take her long at all.
tenderhearts 09:28 AM 12-31-2014
Thanks, I wish he slept that long but he doesn't, like clock work he's up at 30 min. He isn't fussy between naps but being his naps are so short he gets tired sooner so I feel like I'm putting him down alot. I've tried letting him cry well he's not crying he's holloring lol but he doesn't budge.
SilverSabre25 10:07 AM 12-31-2014
At that age I still have infants on their own schedule, whatever that happens to be. However those catnaps can be a total bear to work with!

I'd start trying to put him down at the very very first sign of tiredness and see if you can't find a formula that will help him stay asleep longer. Maybe try a swaddle, try a darker room, try white noise. just try lengthening those naps.
Unregistered 01:27 PM 01-05-2015
I have a 6 month old who arrives at 5:15am and he goes right back to bed when he gets here. He goes back to sleep till about 7:30 and then we begin the daily routine. Bottle when he wakes, playtime for an hour or so, down for nap. He was waking about 30-40 into naps, but after a few days of sleep training, he know sleeps at least 1h 30m, each nap. Eat, play, sleep...Repeat!
KDC 08:20 AM 01-06-2015
Mine looked like 8-9:30 sleep, 11-12:30/1:00 and a sneaky nap at 3:30. Eventually the morning would go longer till 9-11 and the afternoon nap would be more like 1-3 and they would drop the third nap around the 7-8 month timeframe. I like the EASY method. Sleep, Eat, Play. Good Luck!
Tags:infant - sleeping issues, napping
Reply Up