Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Having a Daycare and Going to School... hmmm
kpa0627 04:47 PM 09-17-2010
So, right now I am a licensed in home daycare provider. I am full capacity and I do enjoy what I do. I have an assistant who meets all licensing requirements that comes in 2 hours each day so I can have time to clean the house, run errands, go to any appointments, etc. Here's the deal.... I've ALWAYS wanted to go to massage therapy school and my husband and I finally have money that I can afford to go. They offer a 10 month program where I could go in M-F from 9:00-12:30 for school and then I'd be done for the day. So I could open at 7 and then leave at 8:45 (have my assistant come in and work until 12:45) and then I would take over and work until closing time. I would be here 6.5 hours total and my assistant would be here 4 hours each day. All the parents have met the assistant, the children like her, the parents seem to like her, she meets all the qualifications for a provider... but I'm still wondering if parents wouldn't like it since they signed their child up to be with ME. Does anyone else here leave to go to classes or anything? I want to pursue my schooling choice but I HAVE to have a pretty good income to do so (and I do make a good amount doing daycare even after paying her for being here more hours if I start school).
Unregistered 05:34 PM 09-17-2010
If you don't already - think about using a planned curriculum that has set activities to do each day. I've tried many and love Mother Goose Time best. Your parents won't care if you or your assistant is helping the kids when they see all the great projects and learning that they experience in a day. Plus, I love the lesson plan book from Mother Goose Time because it gives great teacher tips on setting up the environment, child development and all the theory we learn at school but links it in application to the activities. I've actually increased enrollment for my program because parents heard that I was using this curriculum.
melskids 04:27 AM 09-18-2010
there is another licensed daycare in my town, where the provider goes to morning classes as well, (for business or accounting, or something like that). her mother fills in for her, and i'm guessing (i dont know her personally) that all of her parents are o.k. with it because she is always full. i would just be honest with the parents about it, and see where they stand.
MyAngels 06:09 AM 09-18-2010
You may run the risk that the parents will be concerned once you tell them that you're going to school for something not necessarily related to child care. They could be concerned that you're going to school in order to get out of the field, and start thinking about changing providers.
Tags:curriculum
Reply Up