Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tips to Keep SA Kids Occupied
vonp 07:25 AM 08-15-2012
My SA kids are back with me due to their summer camp being cancelled this week. I usually only have them with me after school for 2-3 hours. This week I have them all day for 8-9 hrs.

It's a brother and sister and really well behaved kids but they get bored, bored, bored after awhile. It's really too hot to go outside here and our neighborhood pool is closed for resurfacing.... why didn't they do this earlier in the season!?

They bring hand held games from home and a few toys. They watch tv and play vid games. I have board games and puzzles they seem to enjoy. They are 7 and 9. I don't know if they are into crafts or not.

I wasn't expecting them back until school started again. Any ideas for when the boredom strikes?
nothingwithoutjoy 09:07 AM 08-15-2012
Duct tape, hot glue, and all the recyclables you can get your hands on should keep them busy for hours. Our mud kitchen is also a huge hit with kids that age. Beading supplies. Reams of blank paper and good markers or pens.
Lucy 09:48 AM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Duct tape, hot glue, and all the recyclables you can get your hands on should keep them busy for hours. Our mud kitchen is also a huge hit with kids that age. Beading supplies. Reams of blank paper and good markers or pens.
LOL! With those first 2 items, I thought you were joking about taping them up so they don't bother you!!
daycarediva 09:54 AM 08-15-2012
It was rainy yesterday so I sat my sa kids and sa dcks at the table, squirted paint into bowls and gave them a ton of paper, glue, scissors and a bunch of craft supplies. They were busy for a two hour stretch. They also enjoy making homemade slime, marble painting, those how to draw books, scavenger hunts with clues (this takes some set up though).
nothingwithoutjoy 10:33 AM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by Lucy:
LOL! With those first 2 items, I thought you were joking about taping them up so they don't bother you!!
I have to admit, that thought wen through my head, too, as I typed "duct tape." :-)
Blackcat31 12:43 PM 08-15-2012
A couple summers back I purchased a set of walkie-talkies.

Oh my goodness, my SA kids went outside in the morning and didn't want to come back in.

Best purchase (as far as SA kids) ever!
Reply Up