Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Name For My Licensed Child-Care Home... What Do You Guys Think?
nila 04:49 AM 03-05-2013
God willing, I will start the fall of this year... decided to start at home first... I've always wanted the business name to include the words bright minds, bright, minds, and or digital within it... but, there are several home and centers in the area and neighboring cities with those words in their name... after brainstorming this is what I came up with... in order of preference

note: before anyone asks, why digital? I plan on using a lot of digital/technical resources, this doesn't mean having kids in front of computers all day, but will have a computer lab, I want to teach children how to use the technologies that they are already familiar with in an educational way...

I look forward to your comments and ideas...

MY BUSINESS NAME IDEAS:
Bright Digital Minds
Bright Digital Minds Preschool
Bright Digital Minds Academy
Bright Digital Minds Learning Center
Digital Kids
Digital Kids Academy
Digital Kids Learning Center
Digital Minds Academy
Digital Minds Learning Center

EXISTING BUSINESS NAMES:
Bright Beginnings Academy LLC
Bright Beginnings Learning Center
Bright Minds Academy
Bright Minds Learning Center
Bright Star Child Care and Development Center
Bright Stars Learning CTR No. 2
Bright Stars Montessori Learning Center, Inc.
Brighter Future Learning Center
MsLaura529 04:53 AM 03-05-2013
I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I feel like a lot of people might be turned off with the word "digital" in the name ... I know it's not your goal to have them sit in front of the computer all day, but just scrolling through and looking for names of daycares in the area to call, having "digital" in the name would make me not put it on my list.

That being said - what if you did something like "Bright Kids Academy" or "Bright Kids Learning Center"?
MissAnn 05:06 AM 03-05-2013
I like Bright Minds. Not a fan of the digital.
Meeko 05:11 AM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I feel like a lot of people might be turned off with the word "digital" in the name ... I know it's not your goal to have them sit in front of the computer all day, but just scrolling through and looking for names of daycares in the area to call, having "digital" in the name would make me not put it on my list.

That being said - what if you did something like "Bright Kids Academy" or "Bright Kids Learning Center"?

OP..I'm sure your heart and intentions are in the right place, but I agree with MsLaura. The word "digital" unfortunately gives the impression that the kids WILL sit and play video games all day and play with "beep-beep" toys instead of using their imaginations. Many won't even call you to ask for clarification.

I would chose a name like the ones suggested above and make sure you explain to parents on the phone and at interview exactly what your plans are. Just as a warning......you are going to be specialized and that will narrow your prospects of clients. Many parents will ask me on the phone if I use the TV or computer as they do not want it as part of their child's daycare experience.

Now you could advertise yourself as a sort of "tech school for kids". You would possible do better having kids for just a couple hours a day as an activity for them.....kind of like dance lessons, piano lessons etc. Just a thought
nila 07:37 AM 03-05-2013
I truly appreciate the feedback... all good things to think about...
just_peachy 08:26 AM 03-05-2013
I love your curriculum idea. We're a big tech oriented family so this would appeal to us personally. It's such a niche thing that I think if you are in the position to be choosy about clients it'd be fun to appeal to like-minded tech-minded families.

Still, there's something about the word "digital" that's off-putting even to the right demographic. Have you played with internet acronyms? Like "woot kids learning center" or "lolz kidz" or something? Again, so much of your success would depend on where you live and how choosy you can afford to be. But it'd be very fun in the right circumstances!
AnneCordelia 09:34 AM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:

I agree! This would be a turn off in our area as the majority of enrollments are under age 2...and the recommendation of the AAP is no screen time for under age 2.
MarinaVanessa 09:51 AM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I agree! This would be a turn off in our area as the majority of enrollments are under age 2...and the recommendation of the AAP is no screen time for under age 2.
Yes and then they say that screen time (computers, iTouches, iPads, tablets, TV etc) for kids over two get no more than an hour a day and that's including the screen time that they get at home.

I think it's great that OP will provide this but I'd definitely leave it out of the name and just mention it in marketing material being careful to explain how screen time will be handled and limited (infants will use no screen time, older children will get 15-20 minutes of computer time, screen time appropriate to curriculum, educational programs only etc).
nila 02:34 PM 03-05-2013
Thank you all for the comments... who better to ask than you all that already have your businesses running... will definitely rethink the name... back to the drawing board...
Starburst 10:59 PM 03-05-2013
Originally Posted by nila:
note: before anyone asks, why digital? I plan on using a lot of digital/technical resources, this doesn't mean having kids in front of computers all day, but will have a computer lab, I want to teach children how to use the technologies that they are already familiar with in an educational way...

I look forward to your comments and ideas...

MY BUSINESS NAME IDEAS:
Bright Digital Minds
Bright Digital Minds Preschool
Bright Digital Minds Academy
Bright Digital Minds Learning Center
Digital Kids
Digital Kids Academy
Digital Kids Learning Center
Digital Minds Academy
Digital Minds Learning Center

EXISTING BUSINESS NAMES:
Bright Beginnings Academy LLC
Bright Minds Academy
Bright Minds Learning Center
Bright Star Child Care and Development Center
Bright Stars Learning CTR No. 2
Bright Stars Montessori Learning Center, Inc.
Brighter Future Learning Center
Originally Posted by nila:
Thank you all for the comments... who better to ask than you all that already have your businesses running... will definitely rethink the name... back to the drawing board...
I think depending on your age group since it seems to be a preschool (ages 2.5 -5 years, since you used the words academy and preschool) that teaching them the very basic use of computers will be okay but make sure to also make an effort for outside play, hands on activities, and elements of nature and natural materials.

Maybe instead of the words "digital" or 'academy' you can use the words "tech" or 'institute" (like some colleges do).

Some other ideas:
Bright Minds Tech (or Brignt Minds Mini Tech)
Bright Minds Institute
Bright Minds Institute of Technology
Bright Minds Academy of Technology
Bright Minds Tech Academy
Bright Minds Learning Institute
Bright Minds Learning Academy

I sent you an invite to the "Providers in Training" group for people who are in the beginging stages of starting a registered/licesned daycare. We have some threads similar to this topic.
nila 07:10 PM 03-06-2013
wow... those names are so cute... thank you! I love them...
nila 07:11 PM 03-06-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I think depending on your age group since it seems to be a preschool (ages 2.5 -5 years, since you used the words academy and preschool) that teaching them the very basic use of computers will be okay but make sure to also make an effort for outside play, hands on activities, and elements of nature and natural materials.

Maybe instead of the words "digital" or 'academy' you can use the words "tech" or 'institute" (like some colleges do).

Some other ideas:
Bright Minds Tech (or Brignt Minds Mini Tech)
Bright Minds Institute
Bright Minds Institute of Technology
Bright Minds Academy of Technology
Bright Minds Tech Academy
Bright Minds Learning Institute
Bright Minds Learning Academy

I sent you an invite to the "Providers in Training" group for people who are in the beginging stages of starting a registered/licesned daycare. We have some threads similar to this topic.
wow... those names are so cute... thank you! I them...
Tags:business name, daycare name
Reply Up