Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler Frustrated
BabyMonkeys 03:24 PM 03-21-2016
I have a 26m dcb that gets frustrated when he thinks that he can't do something, and yells "help please!" about over and over again. Today he was upset because he couldn't get his blocks to go together the way he wanted. I showed him how to do it, multiple times and then asked him to do it. He tries for around 2 seconds and then starts begging for "help please!"

Yesterday he was mad because he was trying to turn the page in his spiral notebook, but there wasn't room for it to lay completely open flat on the table, he could only have 1 page at a time open. I showed him that he just had to pick the book up to turn the page and then sit it down again. That resulted in lots of "help please!" every time he wanted to turn the page.

I'm not sure how to handle him. Do I just ignore him after a certain number of times?
Thriftylady 03:27 PM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by BabyMonkeys:
I have a 26m dcb that gets frustrated when he thinks that he can't do something, and yells "help please!" about over and over again. Today he was upset because he couldn't get his blocks to go together the way he wanted. I showed him how to do it, multiple times and then asked him to do it. He tries for around 2 seconds and then starts begging for "help please!"

Yesterday he was mad because he was trying to turn the page in his spiral notebook, but there wasn't room for it to lay completely open flat on the table, he could only have 1 page at a time open. I showed him that he just had to pick the book up to turn the page and then sit it down again. That resulted in lots of "help please!" every time he wanted to turn the page.

I'm not sure how to handle him. Do I just ignore him after a certain number of times?
After showing him, I would just encourage him to keep trying. I am a believer if we always do it for them they will never learn. Some kiddos seem to want everything done for them, and in those cases, it takes a little persistence to get them to start trying. Also I may try to teach him about his "indoor voice" and that you respond only when he uses it, not when he is screaming.
Ariana 03:30 PM 03-21-2016
My own daughter is like this and she is 3. She gest frustrated very easily like her mom i usually help her a little bit so that she is able to do it on her own mostly but with a little help and then I praise her for doing it herself "wow you did it! Look at you!" Kind of thing. It has helped.
Tags:2 year old, frustrated, needy
Reply Up