Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Childcare for Relatives...
Carrieh 04:51 PM 12-03-2015
...To start off, so I don't get five million people hunting me down and reporting me as doing childcare...I'M NOT! Now, going forward, I've filed all my paperwork with the State of Michigan to run my own in-home childcare. I was given the impression that I was good to go to run my childcare, and found out later that was not the case (particularly when someone chose to report me as watching kids; even though I had no kids I was watching...just ones waiting for me to watch after I had a physical license number). Regardless, I've been exhausted and stressed out over the whole State requirements and all the people feeling the "fun" need to report me for even mentioning I'm starting a childcare service. So...I'm considering just giving up. Even though the state has all my documentation and everything and I'm probably a month away from getting my license...I'm questioning whether I really want to. It seems like there are quite a bit of politics in the whole thing...and after working in a law firm in the past; that's the least of what I want. Anyway, I do have a relative that I've been watching her kids for her. (YES...I AM ALLOWED AND LEGAL TO WATCH A RELATIVE'S KIDS!!!) She is a young mother and I watch her kids while she attends school. My question is, does anyone know if DHS would pay unlicensed relatives? If so, I may just quit the whole political process and watch her kids. I just need some money to provide food and other things for her kiddos...and admittedly I wouldn't mind some little income for myself to possibly buy some new clothing for myself or my kids once in a while. ;-) I'm assuming I would still need to be licensed, but I'm just curious if anyone knows.
Blackcat31 05:30 PM 12-03-2015
Originally Posted by Carrieh:
...To start off, so I don't get five million people hunting me down and reporting me as doing childcare...I'M NOT! Now, going forward, I've filed all my paperwork with the State of Michigan to run my own in-home childcare. I was given the impression that I was good to go to run my childcare, and found out later that was not the case (particularly when someone chose to report me as watching kids; even though I had no kids I was watching...just ones waiting for me to watch after I had a physical license number). Regardless, I've been exhausted and stressed out over the whole State requirements and all the people feeling the "fun" need to report me for even mentioning I'm starting a childcare service. So...I'm considering just giving up. Even though the state has all my documentation and everything and I'm probably a month away from getting my license...I'm questioning whether I really want to. It seems like there are quite a bit of politics in the whole thing...and after working in a law firm in the past; that's the least of what I want. Anyway, I do have a relative that I've been watching her kids for her. (YES...I AM ALLOWED AND LEGAL TO WATCH A RELATIVE'S KIDS!!!) She is a young mother and I watch her kids while she attends school. My question is, does anyone know if DHS would pay unlicensed relatives? If so, I may just quit the whole political process and watch her kids. I just need some money to provide food and other things for her kiddos...and admittedly I wouldn't mind some little income for myself to possibly buy some new clothing for myself or my kids once in a while. ;-) I'm assuming I would still need to be licensed, but I'm just curious if anyone knows.
http://michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,7-140...609---,00.html

On the right hand side of the site I posted above (under Frequently Asked Questions) there is a section that says "How do I apply?" it explains what an unlicensed provider needs to do to meet requirements to accept payments through the child care assistance program.

Thats all I could find with a quick phone search... HTH
284878 06:27 PM 12-03-2015
Yes you can provide care to family and receive DHS payments. I did this for family when I was a teen. I did not have to take any classes or anything. But I know that the rules have changed some, so you would need to take a class.
As "unlicensed provider" (which is what they call it, I call it a Nanny that accepts DHS) you can care for other peoples kids (non related) in there home and get DHS plus you can take your own kids with you. or related in either your or their home.

I was able to do some of the same write offs on my taxes, when I did this. Which was great because back then they did not take taxes out and I would of owed $$$.

I am trying to find the link for you, If I cant you can call Great Start to Quality at 877-614-7328 and ask them about the unlicensed provider course. I think it cost $10.
Unregistered 06:47 PM 12-03-2015
I've done that and it was a huge disaster! I owed $700 in taxes at the end of it (which was about the same as what I was paid). Because I was a "private contractor" apparently. I had no clue about any of that and paid our usual CPA to do the taxes...
284878 07:08 PM 12-03-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've done that and it was a huge disaster! I owed $700 in taxes at the end of it (which was about the same as what I was paid). Because I was a "private contractor" apparently. I had no clue about any of that and paid our usual CPA to do the taxes...
Did the cpa claim your deductions? I claimed food, transportation, wear on my auto.... I would of owed if I had not gone to a tax man. I ended up breaking even according to my taxes. I still lived at home, otherwise I may of had more deductions.

Op - now days you can have taxes taken out of your checks. When I did it, they did not give an option and every thing was done on paper. Now it can be down on the computer.
Tags:relatives
Reply Up