Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Your Own While Running Daycare
NillaWafers 09:24 PM 11-29-2015
My DS is turning three in a few weeks, and he's definitely ready to train. However, I am having such a hard time getting him trained since I am VERY busy with the daycare. I am also pregnant with my third (boy) and am worried I won't get it done before I have this kid (due 1/8/16)! I tried this weekend but ended up needing to do so much stuff that it didn't work out that great. I did the 2 day method with my first that worked great - but that really requires undivided attention.

Any tips? I almost wish I could put him in underwear during daycare hours, I know he would get it in a few days but the pee.... *sigh*

I have a week-long break from the 24th-1st coming up, but it might be too late (baby wise, haha).
Play Care 03:08 AM 11-30-2015

I had this same issue with my oldest dd. No one else was trained and she didn't see why she should have to use a potty...

My thought is that if you want it to happen, make it happen.
I would totally put him in undies today and have at it. No one else's business. Huge world of difference, IMO between a *parent* putting their child in underwear and spending *their* day getting them to the potty, and a parent putting their child in undies and sending them to day care for someone else to do it. Also, day care parents would expect you to do it for their kids, why should your child be any different?
Indoorvoice 04:50 AM 11-30-2015
My dd will be 3 in January and I'm just leaving it up to her. I know that approach doesn't work for everyone, but I'm in no hurry. My oldest dd just decided one day that she was wearing undies and there was no training involved whatsoever, so I'm hoping it goes that way for this one too. We always offered underwear, and asked her if she wanted to go on the potty when we could tell she was about to, but didn't force it. Sometimes she chose potty, sometimes not, but she was fully in underwear day and night by age 3. Also, with your new one coming so soon, chances are potty training will regress when the baby arrives. It will be tough dealing with accidents and a newborn so you might want to wait until after he settles in with his new brother or sister. Good luck!
auntymimi 06:36 AM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
My dd will be 3 in January and I'm just leaving it up to her. I know that approach doesn't work for everyone, but I'm in no hurry. My oldest dd just decided one day that she was wearing undies and there was no training involved whatsoever, so I'm hoping it goes that way for this one too. We always offered underwear, and asked her if she wanted to go on the potty when we could tell she was about to, but didn't force it. Sometimes she chose potty, sometimes not, but she was fully in underwear day and night by age 3. Also, with your new one coming so soon, chances are potty training will regress when the baby arrives. It will be tough dealing with accidents and a newborn so you might want to wait until after he settles in with his new brother or sister. Good luck!
This is what I did with my 2 daughters. Both just decided to use the potty one day and that was that.my oldest was 2 1/2, my younger daughter had just turned 2.
Leigh 06:57 AM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
This really is the easiest way.
Play Care 07:56 AM 11-30-2015
Honestly in over 10 years and many children I've had ONE child potty train themselves. ONE.

Some kids will do it, but IME, even those who are super ready may need a push (in fact the one who trained himself only did so after I started changing him standing up and having him sit on the potty while I "fixed" his diaper.)

I agree that if they're ready the process goes quickly. And OP you will know in a day or so if that's the case.

My older DD was over 4 and would only have a BM in her diaper (completely pee trained) sometimes you have to do more.
auntymimi 09:18 AM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Honestly in over 10 years and many children I've had ONE child potty train themselves. ONE.

Some kids will do it, but IME, even those who are super ready may need a push (in fact the one who trained himself only did so after I started changing him standing up and having him sit on the potty while I "fixed" his diaper.)

I agree that if they're ready the process goes quickly. And OP you will know in a day or so if that's the case.

My older DD was over 4 and would only have a BM in her diaper (completely pee trained) sometimes you have to do more.
I agree, my own children were a bit unusual in that regard. I have either already trained kids or babies to young to start, I have no idea where I would even start with a dck. Luckily I won't have to, they have parents for that
Play Care 10:52 AM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
I agree, my own children were a bit unusual in that regard. I have either already trained kids or babies to young to start, I have no idea where I would even start with a dck. Luckily I won't have to, they have parents for that
Technically I won't potty train day care kids either (and I won't accept a new child who is 3+ and not potty trained in to care) but I've been known to give the push to kids who were more than ready because I get tired of changing "big kid" diapers. I've had kids full trained here but still in diapers at home. Actually I find getting day care kid to use the potty much easier than doing it with my own kids
Ariana 12:05 PM 11-30-2015
I swore I would never use bribes or rewards but when my daughter turned 3 and I was pregnant I pulled out the chocolate chips! Worked SOOO well. She was trained in a few days.

1 chip for sitting on the toilet
2 chips for pee
3 for poop

Then over the next 2 weeks I phased the treats out.
Controlled Chaos 01:14 PM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I swore I would never use bribes or rewards but when my daughter turned 3 and I was pregnant I pulled out the chocolate chips! Worked SOOO well. She was trained in a few days.

1 chip for sitting on the toilet
2 chips for pee
3 for poop

Then over the next 2 weeks I phased the treats out.
We're a jelly bean kinda family

Never bribed a dck but my own - Yep!
NillaWafers 03:36 PM 11-30-2015
We are using candy corn and it doesn't seem to be a giant motivator for him. We also bought a toy he really wants for poop and it sits there and stares at him from a shelf and he just doesn't care haha. Oh well.

I'm thinking maybe I'll try Christmas break. It's too hard to deal with pee and underwear and other kids!
jgcp 02:27 PM 12-03-2015
Oh man this sounds familiar! My ds was 3 in sep and did well for about a week and then didn't want anything to do with it. he hated the kids following him into the bathroom and all that ( I know the feeling lol) and then he would do it a weekend here or a day there, but I cant do it will the kids here, just another reason I'm closing at the end of the month....
NillaWafers 09:43 AM 12-04-2015
He pooped on the potty all by himself yesterday! Maybe it was cus he was getting ready for his bath and was already naked haha. I'm still not sure if he is ready ready, but we will see. Just 2.5 more weeks until we are going to try consistently.
Ariana 11:20 AM 12-04-2015
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
He pooped on the potty all by himself yesterday! Maybe it was cus he was getting ready for his bath and was already naked haha. I'm still not sure if he is ready ready, but we will see. Just 2.5 more weeks until we are going to try consistently.

Getting a boy to poop on the toilet is a really big deal so I'd take it, naked or not
Tags:potty training, potty training issues, provider children, provider children - potty training
Reply Up