Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Termination
Bell_Bear_Child_Care 09:18 AM 11-30-2015
Hi, I am very new to this I have a single mom who works a sporadic schedule, I never have a day off to recuperate. moms hours range between 8 am - 10 pm 7 days a week with two days off that change weekly I have worked every weekend since accepting her child, I am burnt out how do I write a term letter for this issue?
Play Care 09:33 AM 11-30-2015
"Dear DCM,

Due to health issues, as of _______ date I will no longer be available to provide care for your child. Should you need assistance in your child care search, the Child Care Referral Agency can be reached at 555-5555. I have enjoyed caring for Susie and wish you the best!

Sincerely,

Happy Provider"

I am always of the "less said, soonest mended" school of thought.

If she asks why I would just say that my health hasn't been great and my doctor has said I need to cut way back. It wasn't an easy decision, but I've got to think of my family, etc. etc.etc. Be upbeat and positive and she will soon go away. If you try to "blame" her (hours, kids, etc) then that's when it gets dragged out.

But my motto is "don't go away mad, just go away"
nannyde 09:34 AM 11-30-2015
You don't have to term. Just let her know you are changing your biz hrs to Mon thru Fri from 730 am to 5 pm. Tell her she is welcome to have slots in those hours if she can make it work. Tell her you no longer do rotating or flex schedules. You offer full time with those hours. The date for this change is xxxxx.

She will quit on her own.
LysesKids 09:42 AM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
You don't have to term. Just let her know you are changing your biz hrs to Mon thru Fri from 730 am to 5 pm. Tell her she is welcome to have slots in those hours if she can make it work. Tell her you no longer do rotating or flex schedules. You offer full time with those hours. The date for this change is xxxxx.

This is what I did a few years ago when I was in the OP's situation (I was working 6 days week, 14+ hrs)... I just told all the families that the DR ordered me to either cut back my hours or close altogether... I only had one family leave, but that was OK because it was the Part timer that was rotating. sticking to a M-F work week does wonders for your health (mental & physical)
Play Care 10:46 AM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I agree BUT, then you have to stick to it every time she's late or tried to drop off early or come on a day you are closed, etc. because she may think you don't really mean it for her, etc.

If you think just informing her of a change of business hours will do it, then go that route. But you know the client, is that something she will accept or will to lead to further drama?
Bell_Bear_Child_Care 10:19 AM 12-02-2015
Thank you all for responses I am going to give the notice today for change of hours.
Ariana 10:30 AM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by Bell_Bear_Child_Care:
Hi, I am very new to this I have a single mom who works a sporadic schedule, I never have a day off to recuperate. moms hours range between 8 am - 10 pm 7 days a week with two days off that change weekly I have worked every weekend since accepting her child, I am burnt out how do I write a term letter for this issue?
Oh my word what does she do for a living??? Please tell me she is responsible for keeping the world spinning in orbit.
Bell_Bear_Child_Care 09:58 AM 12-03-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Oh my word what does she do for a living??? Please tell me she is responsible for keeping the world spinning in orbit.
She is a hairstylist, I guess I spoke to soon about the Termination going easy. Now she and her mother are trying to tarnish my reputation. Yesterday she didn’t show up on time I called her as I have before and after school kids to transport. She answered and stated she decided to stay and help a few hours at work. She never called and asked if this was ok just told me when I called, I told her I could not keep her past her slotted time. And she said she would try to get her mom to come, I was pretty upset but stayed professional. I charged an overtime fee for the time she didn’t come pick her up. We’ll see if she brings her in today.
midaycare 10:05 AM 12-03-2015
She is a hairstylist, I guess I spoke to soon about the Termination going easy. Now she and her mother are trying to tarnish my reputation. Yesterday she didn’t show up on time I called her as I have before and after school kids to transport. She answered and stated she decided to stay and help a few hours at work. She never called and asked if this was ok just told me when I called, I told her I could not keep her past her slotted time. And she said she would try to get her mom to come, I was pretty upset but stayed professional. I charged an overtime fee for the time she didn’t come pick her up. We’ll see if she brings her in today.
I had an awful termination not very long ago. A young girl who was behind developmentally just screamed and screamed all day long - and she only came one day a week. She was going to come full time eventually (mom was a teacher) but since the dcg was coddled so much, I didn't see it getting any better. I told her it wasn't getting any better and she wrote awful reviews about me everywhere she could. She told everyone how awful I am. Sigh ... My first lesson in how some people really suck.
Blackcat31 11:01 AM 12-03-2015
I have a clause in my two weeks' notice that says "ANY disrespectful behaviors or violation of child care policies during the two weeks notice is grounds for immediate termination with no refunds for unused days".

I would terminate immediately if I found out a client was bad mouthing me during the final two weeks AND while still receiving services.
childcaremom 11:06 AM 12-03-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a clause in my two weeks' notice that says "ANY disrespectful behaviors or violation of child care policies during the two weeks notice is grounds for immediate termination with no refunds for unused days".

I would terminate immediately if I found out a client was bad mouthing me during the final two weeks AND while still receiving services.

I just responded basically the same thing on your vent thread. Sorry you're dealing with that!
Tags:terminate - 1st time
Reply Up