Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking for a Couple of Great Suggestions
Oneluckymom 02:50 PM 01-04-2012
Hi Everyone,

I have a new baby starting next month and so I will have an 8.5 mo old and a newbie who is 3 mo. Please give me your advice:

I'm thinking of getting a double stroller to put the babies in when we go outside on the lawn or driveway. No sure which one to buy...and don't want one that takes up a lot of space.

Also, I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a set of new portable cribs or just have the new parent provide me with a pack n play. If I decide to purchase a new set of portable cribs, any advice on which brand to go with?

Thanks
daycare 03:17 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Hi Everyone,

I have a new baby starting next month and so I will have an 8.5 mo old and a newbie who is 3 mo. Please give me your advice:

I'm thinking of getting a double stroller to put the babies in when we go outside on the lawn or driveway. No sure which one to buy...and don't want one that takes up a lot of space.

Also, I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a set of new portable cribs or just have the new parent provide me with a pack n play. If I decide to purchase a new set of portable cribs, any advice on which brand to go with?

Thanks
I really dont have any advice for you.

I dont have infants. But I use a wagon a lot. It holds more than just the kids.. May not be suitable for a3 month old though.

As for the portable cribs, if the infants are going to be temp. then I would ask the parents to bring them. Other wise I would go out and purchase the top of the line product. One that is sturdy and will last long.

I always say this when it comes to buying things that kids use. You get what you pay for. BUT expensive does not always mean that it is going to be the best product out there.
cheerfuldom 04:35 PM 01-04-2012
I would shop second hand. Daycare items get abused pretty quickly and you might be wasting a lot of money buying brand new. I would go with two pack n plays (usually $25 to $50 a piece used) and then a double stroller (plan on that from $50 to $75). Once you start figuring out what works for your kids and your space, you can always buy more quality items later and sell off the cheapies.
bice99 10:01 PM 01-04-2012
I have all of my little ones provide their own PNP. True I have to store them, but parents (and I) love that kids don't share germs as they drool, pee, poop and teeth in their beds. I have the sit and stand deluxe for my double stroller. I looked at a lot of different ones and chose a longer one so that it could fit through doorways when I took my now first grader to preschool.
Sunchimes 04:59 AM 01-05-2012
If you can work out the timing, you can get some great bargains at the Just Between Friends consignment sales. I got a wonderful double stroller for $40--clean as a whistle, excellent condition. I postpone buying big things until the next sale rolls around whenever I can. They are usually twice a year. Here is the page for California.
http://jbfsale.com/findevent/California/
Solandia 06:01 AM 01-05-2012
When my boys were that ages ( i have a bio son & a foster son that are 5months apart)...I spent $80 on a used Maclaren double stroller. I scoured craigslist for months to find a deal like that. After it was stolen, we were unable to find something decent used, anywhere, so we spend a few hundred to buy a new one and totally worth it. It the interim, we rented a stroller when we went to the zoo, and it was miserable in comparison. We jsut couldn't wait for another used one to come along.

I have used, many, many double strollers and you totally get what you pay for...ease of strolling is primary, but the Maclaren is the size of a double umbrella stroller when folding, comfy for the kids, and turns nicely, can push with one hand without going all crazy...

We also go to practices, games, concerts, 4-H fairs, state fairs, older kids' basketball games, events in the city, etc....and a really good stroller is not just a luxury....it is a stinkin' necessity with 2 littles that need to be restrained most of that time.

PNPs...i have a couple, but the last couple babies the moms wanted to use their own (fine by me). Now, you completely need to check your state's regs to see if the pnp will be compliant to new regs that are coming down in the next 6-12months. My state's current proposals are bit vague right now...we will have to have a certificate saying the crib meets standards, but no specifics on those standards. I would hate to spend 50+ on a new pnp for it to be deemd unaccepable within a year. So, I guess I would have parents provide a new-ish pack and play for now.
renodeb 09:55 AM 01-05-2012
I would hit up craigs list/second hand places. We have Once upon a child and I have bought most of my big stuff from them. I also got a Jeep brand double stroller for a steal from a very nice lady off craigs list. All her kids had outgrown it and it was in excellent shape. I like the cosco brand pnps.
Debbie
DaisyMamma 07:01 AM 01-06-2012
I have a 12 mo old and I'm getting a 3 mo in a few weeks. I picked up a pack n play from freecycle and I'm planning on using my first week's pay of the new baby to buy a double stroller off craigslist. I'm looking at the Graco
Tags:crib, crib rules, infant care, pack n play vs crib, stroller - snow sled, strollers
Reply Up