Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Appropriate Time in a Single Day for a Child in Daycare
Unregistered 03:32 AM 03-25-2008
How long do you, as a provider, feel is an appropriate length of time in a single day a child should be in your care?
Jesse 09:10 AM 03-28-2008
If it is just one day, then all day is fine depending on the parent's needs and whether I have the ability that day. If you are talking about everyday then that starts to take on a different meaning.

The child needs quality time with parents also. If the parents are just trying to leave the child with me all day then I think 8 hours is sufficient otherwise you are taking over the parent’s responsibilities and your services start resembling foster care.
preciousangels 11:20 AM 04-05-2008
I slightly agree with the last reply if they are a once in a while, then what meets the parents needs for that particular day, unless your state child care bureau has a maximum time limit a child can be in care.

In Missouri it used to be a child couldn't be in care for more than 10 hours, but they have changed that since 2002. If the child is a regular child you need to factor in the parent has roughly an 8-9 hour day when you factor in their 30 min to 1 hr lunch break, if they commute to their job they may need 5 min to 1 hr pending traffice and how far they are from where you are. I live in a rural community that most of my parents work a minimum of 10 miles from here, if the child goes over 10 hours in our care I charge by the hour in addition to the daily rate. If they are a one time or once in a while then I charge by the hour so that they don't try to take advantage of working a 8 hour day with 1 hr lunch 9 hrs then go to wal mart to do their grocery and household supply shopping vs they know they'll pay the same amount regardless how long the kid is there so why not leave them longer. Check with your state licensing agent to see if you have a max time in care too.
Unregistered 03:00 PM 05-15-2008
While I don't want someones child 10 to 11 hours per day, around my area some parents do work 10 hour days, 4 days a week. I think the parents schedule, commute, lunch hour, etc, have to be taken into consideration with this. All the same, I do not want my parents shopping, running their errands, etc. while I am caring for their children. My services are for when parents are at work.
pingaa3 03:46 PM 05-28-2008
Most kids are done with daycare at about the 8.5 hour mark. Most kids are in care 9-10 hours per day.
Unregistered 10:13 AM 06-02-2008
What I have observed is that children who are in care past around 9 hours have behavior problems. I ask my parents, those with normal jobs, to not leave them beyond 9.5 hours. That gives them 30 minutes for lunch, and 30 minutes travel time each way.
In many cases one parent has dropped off and one has picked up.
I also have found that it's the parents who leave their child in care 10+ hours that present other problems, like hot checks, leaving owing money, etc.
From time to time I get calls for infants, 6-8 weeks old, and the mother wants to drop the child at 6am and pick up at 6pm. Don't mean to be rude, I know the economy demands alot, but why did she have kids? I decline and suggest that that is far too long for an infant, or any child, to be away from their mother/family everyday.
DinTx
DinTx 11:10 AM 06-02-2008
What I've noticed is that kids who stay past 9 hours typically have worse behavior. I ask my parents to leave them no longer than 9.5 hours. That gives them 30 minutes for lunch and 30 minutes travel time each way.
Many times this has required that one parent drop off and one pick up.

I've also observed that parents who leave their kids 10+ hours are problems in other areas such as hot checks, leaving owing money, late to return required forms, etc.

Ocassionally I get a call for a newborn and mom wants to drove the baby at 6am and pick up at 6pm. I decline and suggest that's too many hours for any child to be away from their parents/siblings. I understand economic pressures, and at the risk of sounding rude, why have children if you can't spend time with them?
Unregistered 07:43 AM 06-03-2008
I was doing just 10 hours a day but alot of my parents were just making it hard on my as far as being "late". (like they would pick up 10 hours and 5 min.) So i moved to 12 hours and a higher late fee. Now everyone needs to be gone by 6:00pm sharp or else!!(haha)
But boy the 9.5 sounds good!
Unregistered 09:13 PM 08-02-2008
I do have parents who work 3 12 hour shifts a week, which is a typical shift for nurses and CNA's here. That seems to work fine for me. Even though it's a long day, there's still 4 days of the week they're spending with their parents.
Unregistered 08:28 AM 08-03-2008
We have one child who is at daycare M-f for 10 hr everyday! Sometimes her mom is even late picking her up. i think that is way too much time at daycare. This poor girl gets no time at home. I find it funny how the weather and time of year tend reflect on what time the kids go home. I have observed at my center that when its snowing or in the spring the children tend to leave really early cuz the parents want to get home. When its raining they tend to leave later. Around x-mas time the kids leave earlier. And in the middle of summer (when the whole "Yay summer is here" effect goes away) the kids leave later. my parents seem to bring therfe kids everyday all day whether they r working or not (most of our kids are pt and only pay when they come) You would think people would want to spend time with their kids but i guess not.
Unregistered 02:08 PM 08-04-2008
I am open from 6am to 6pm and i charge a flat rate so my parents are charged the same regardless of if they are here 12hrs or 4hrs. I do have that one parent that drops both of them off at 6am and doesn't not pick them up until 6pm sharp, M-F. But how do you make them understand that just because I'm open for 12hrs doesn't mean you should leave your kids for the whole 12 hrs. Its like beating a dead horse. So i just raised my late fee. And the door stays locked until 6am.
pingaa3 01:43 PM 08-05-2008
We charge $5 per minute for every minute late after 10 minutes. we close at 5:30 and start charging at 5:40pm. We also keep the door locked until we open. Especially since I am getting my own child ready for school until then.
NEDaycare 08:44 AM 10-17-2008
I allow up to 10 hours per day, 50 hours per week for daycare at a flat rate, and I charge early drop off / late pick up fees, or fees for over 10 hours. I get parents who have multiple days off during the week that still drop their kids off at opening time and keep them here until I close. And they have an option to divide my weekly rate by 5 and just pay 1/2 of the daily rate if they dont bring their child. But they still do. If we're open, the kids are here.... we've got them waiting at the door when we open, and running to the door when we close to keep from paying late fees.
Unregistered 08:58 AM 12-18-2008
It sounds like I have been very lucky with the kids that I have. I am open from 6am to 5 pm and NEVER have any one child the entire time. The longest are 2 sisters that are sometimes here for 9.5 hours but for the most part the dad picks them up so they are only here for about 7.
Unregistered 03:57 PM 12-18-2008
my hours are 6am -5pm and I have 3 kids here the entire time. one of my dck has behavioral problems. She'll be 3 in Jan and an only child. Her dad picks her up late 95% of the time. (After my closing time) and the other times he has someone else pick her up. If the other person picks her up she normally spends the time there and she drops her off at my house. the child was also in foster care before her dad got her. The girl has anger issues and is aggressive towards other children. Sometimes I think it's not worth the aggravation of dealing with her and her dad, but then I feel quilty because she must have it tough. She often says she hates her dad and I always tell her that 's not say about your dad, but she doesn't see him that much. Even on the weekends she spends the night over at his back-up person's family. I can always tell which weekends because she is a terrible mess Mon morning.
My othere 2dck are cousins and seem to be okay being with me for 11 hours. Every morning one of them asks if they are going to Hannah's (my daughter) house.
Unregistered 06:11 PM 12-18-2008
I am a private at home daycare and I have the same problems. I have this parent dropping off kids as early as possible and picking them up at closing. I open at 6 and close at 5 and I still have this one parent that came in a while back to ask me if I can please take her to very young children at 5:30 so she can go home and dress for work. Some of these parents act like they can't do anything while their child is in their care. I also recently sent out new rules and on the top of them was the saying "Although I am opened a total of 11 hours I do not want to have each child here that length of time. This time is reserved for the working parent.
espresso dreams 08:55 PM 08-21-2009
While I agree that a child shouldn't be left in daycare all day, for many people, there isn't a way around it. I live in a state that allows no more than 50 hours of care per week, and I have been threatened with termination at every single job I've held since becoming a mother because I can't work over-time. The employer's rationale is, "Everyone else has to, if you get out of it, it isn't fair. If you can't do it, I''ll find someone who can". It isn't fair, but that's what's out there. Many parents do not have other family to take over after hours, either.
Former Teacher 06:23 AM 08-22-2009
something similar about the hours that a child can be in child care. I wish it would go to 10 hours a day. 8 hour shift, 1 hour for lunch, and 1 hour travel time for both ways. Texas does have a standard stating no more than 12 hours a day. The center that I used to work at was open 630-630. I couldn't even begin to tell you the number of children, and always the same ones, that would be there for that amount of time.

I would make a comment such as, oh it was such a long day today for Johnny and I bet for you as well. I would get excuses such as , oh it's ok, I had a nap, did Johnny take a nap? Or, I am so sorry I am late, I just had to shop for a new hummer, do you like the color?

A sad fact also is that even though a parent might work 3 12 hour shifts or 4 10 hour days, the child was still brought in on the parents day off so the parent can have ME time. That was always a sore point for me too, because then they would bring them in at 1030 and pick up 300. So the child would only be there for lunch and nap (which they never napped because they got up late!)

Another sad fact I have learned over the years at my center. The younger the child is, the longer they are in daycare. It's like the parent doesn't want to spend time with their little ones. If you don't want to, then don't have them!
melissa ann 03:11 PM 08-22-2009
For the most part, the 3 kids I have are here the entire time I am open. My hours are 6-5pm and sometimes, it's 6am exactly when they get dropped off and 4:45-5pm when they get picked up. Tuesday was the mother of 2 of the kids ONLY day off (she's in retail, here schedule changes week to week and includes weekends) Well, Monday when she dropped off her 2 and her newphew she asked if I could watch her youngest (6 months) on Tuesday. She was going to help a friend look for a new car and didn't want to take the youngeset. I did. I wasn't thrilled about it. I don't get people. i've been with my kids since birth. When I do shopping, or whatever, my kids went with. Sure, it wasn't always a pleasant experience, but it was always adventureous. I guess I will have to put in an upcoming newsletter that my services are for when parents are working. Not for shopping, mowing the grass(I had that one too, dad got done early so he mowed the grass before picking up the kids)
tymaboy 08:32 PM 08-22-2009
I do not have a set time. One of my families their kid is her 9-10 hrs a day. But I know that they are working by the type of job that they have. With this little guy I do not mind cuz he is a total sweet heart. In Nov. I will have one starting that will be here just as long cuz the parents work out of town & the father is in construction. I also have it set up to where the child is here for a contacted time or they get charged extra.
mrs.meg 09:59 AM 08-24-2009
I just keep 2 boys right now. Their mom works all different shifts, weekends and has the most erratic schedule I have ever seen. I think she likes it because she gets to have her "me time" all the time. Sometime she is off for an entire week at at time and she will bring the kids all day 9 hours every day. She is sooooo afraid that she will give me a dime that I have not "earned". I have tried to be flexible and even do not charge for holidays which I know I should, but I guess when I started this I just didn't have it all planned out. She also picks up the oldest and takes him places and leaves the 2 year old here, which I would not do-I feel sorry for the little guy. I just do not understand people at all!
Unregistered 11:49 AM 08-26-2009
I have a one year old whose both parents work in town A, I live in town B and they live in town c. Their older son is in a center in town c. These parents pass my house and pick up their son first, then backtrack to my house, then go back to town C (where they just picked up their son), just to not spend time with their one year old. This causes them at least 15 additional miles per day. The one year old is a screamer who I watch for almost 10 hours a day M-F. Also, there are MANY times that when they drop off or pick up, it is obvious by their dress, that they have not been at work that day. They show up in flip flops and shorts, and their other kid is already in the car. I feel they just don't want to spend any time with their one year old. Why have kids if you don't want to spend time with them. Before I was home, I would get me kids early every chance I could find. I couldn't wait to see them. This is also why I am now home with them. These parents also have made comments about previous DC providers not wanting to watch their kids if they are not working. They are the type of parents, who make teething excuses, when their child is clearly sick and shouldn't be in care. Anyway, just venting. It just saddens me to know that so many parents, when given the opportunity to spend with their kids, would rather take "me" time. I watch kids 10 hours a day, then have my own children 24/7. I can't remember the last time I had "me" time. I can't stand hearing parents say the need time. They spend at least 10-14 hours away from their families daily, (at least with other adults) and not screaming children.
sunmoonandstars 07:19 PM 09-08-2009
Honestly, to be fair, I think it should be a regular 8 to 9 hour day, plus up to 2 hours for commuting time (this includes morning & evening commute). Anything other than that is just too long and the parent(s) need to find a way for someone in the family to be with their child each evening.

But, that's just me.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 07:50 AM 09-09-2009
I dont see how you can make a blanket policy for this type thing. I have one in care from 5 a to 6 p m-f. 50 weeks a yr. Mom is a single mom, works 10 hour shifts an hour away. I also have one here from about 6 to 5 daily, Mom keeps him on a schedule and if she gets off early, needs an afternoon to herself or just wants a nap,.. Im ok with that. They contract me for my time, pay for it, and can use it for what they want. I think we should do the best for them while they are with us and when its moms time,.. let them worry about it. As long as Im paid, I am not one to judge wether you are at work or the grocery, having a date with your husband or napping in the sun. Im a childcare provider, I am paid to care for your child based on the hours we agreed to at contract signing. I didnt agree to keep them only while the parents are working. Yes, I get jealous sometimes that they are out having fun while Im caring for their baby,.. but thats what I signed onto at the start and I figure my jealousy needs to step back and realize that this is my CHOSEN job. If I don't like them having fun and me staying back to keep the kids,.. I should find a normal job that affords me the same type of options. However,.. I do need a number to get them if needed. When I started, (back in 89) cells werent as popular, lol
Unregistered 07:05 PM 03-04-2010
I was surprised by the things that some of the childcare providers wrote. I agree with what you said. I don't unnecessarily leave my son in childcare when I am not working but there are days I need to go to the dentist or have a certain exam at a doctor's appointment (or anywhere else that might not be appropriate to have a child with you) and took the day off work to get all of that done. I don't think it's fair for a childcare provider to just "Oh, you aren't in your work clothes. Well, why are you bringing your child then??" They are getting paid either way! Now, if someone is leaving their child extra long on a consistent basis, then I don't think it is necessarily right or best for the child. But I don't think a paid childcare provider should be so upset if the agreed upon terms aren't being violated.
Daycare Mommy 04:50 AM 03-05-2010
Okay first off, this is not directed at all parents. Read and you will know if it's you I'm ranting about.

<rant>I have it in my policy that I'm here for work + commute times ONLY, so when it happens my terms ARE being violated. Parents tell me that they have doc/dentist appointments and I'm absolutely fine with watching for those. This is not the full extent of what happens though. Parents leave kids in daycare to go shopping, do yardwork, take naps, get their nails or hair done, and go to the gym. Do these things, fine! But take your kids with you. People who work 25 hrs a week 10 minutes away should NOT be leaving Junior in my care 50 hours a week yet this is what happens with some parents.

My rant here is not because I don't want to work, "earn my wages", or be around the children. I LOVE children! That's why I chose this profession! BUT, because I love these children I want what is best for them and what's best for them with very very few exceptions is to be with their real family as much as possible. Daycare is not a consequence-free substitute for spending time with your child. Between daycare for working hours and then later school, you are going to be missing the majority of their childhood already! Save the "me" time for your lunch break and after they go to bed! I watch 7 kids some days for up to 12 hrs and this is what I do. And amazingly it works just fine! Parent's that use daycare more than they must are cheating their child as well as themselves and will realize it only too late.</rant>
melskids 06:00 AM 03-05-2010
as a provider and a parent myself, it does sometimes bother me to see a parent leave their child here for 12 hrs a day while they are out tanning or going to the gym after work. i dont get time to go to the gym during the week myself, because of the long days i put in. but like someone else mentioned, its like beating a dead horse. but how i look at it is, they are paying me to spend quality time with THEIR children. they are the ones missing out. and if a child is going to be stuck at daycare for so long, at least i know i'm giving them the best care possible while they are here and love them like my own.

now parents, dont flame me. i'm not talking about those of you who HAVE to work long hours. and i'm not even talking about those who occasionally have "me" days. i'm talking about parents who leave their kids day in and day out for 12 hour days and NEVER spend anytime with them. there is a difference.

i had a single father of 3 who dropped his kids off at 4:30 a.m and worked until it got dark outside, sometimes 7 or 8 at night. (he was a tree climber). he had to do it to make the bills.

i have one mother now who stops for groceries/runs errands/grabs a coffee everyday, BUT she is still here on time. (still o.k by me)

i had a mother who dropped her kids off everyday, for 10-11 hrs a day and only worked part time. (two days a week) then left them at grandmas all weekend so she could party with her friends and be with her boyfriend alone.

thats the difference.
TGT09 06:09 AM 03-05-2010
I typically do not allow a child to stay more than 10 hours a day unless it's an emergency or a once in a while thing.

I will watch a child for any of parent's errands, appt.'s but like others said, as long as they are on time or if it's planned ahead of time!
DBug 10:46 AM 03-05-2010
I totally agree with what some of the others have said about what parents do during daycare hours being none of my business. I do wonder though, whether charging by the day is fair when one parent has their child here for only 8 hours, while another gets 12 hours of care for the same rate. I really respect the families that have things worked out so that their child spends as little time in daycare as possible (ie. dad drops off, mom picks up). It shows me that they actually do like their child :-) But occasionally I start to feel like I'm penalizing them by charging them the same as the parents whose child is here from open to close.

Someone mentioned charging a flat rate for 10 hours, and then charging hourly over that (I think ...). Does anyone else do that? Are parents okay with that? Does it change parents' drop off/pick up schedules at all?
tenderhearts 11:03 AM 03-05-2010
I do no more than 10 hours and if it goes over 10 there is a fee, but I've never ran into that before, on occassion I have one mom who drops off at 7 and dad or herself picks up at 5 but not too often. The average for me is 9 but most of my families the moms and dads go to work at different times so one may drop off at 8am and the other will pick up and 4.
momma2girls 11:10 AM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
I totally agree with what some of the others have said about what parents do during daycare hours being none of my business. I do wonder though, whether charging by the day is fair when one parent has their child here for only 8 hours, while another gets 12 hours of care for the same rate. I really respect the families that have things worked out so that their child spends as little time in daycare as possible (ie. dad drops off, mom picks up). It shows me that they actually do like their child :-) But occasionally I start to feel like I'm penalizing them by charging them the same as the parents whose child is here from open to close.

Someone mentioned charging a flat rate for 10 hours, and then charging hourly over that (I think ...). Does anyone else do that? Are parents okay with that? Does it change parents' drop off/pick up schedules at all?
I have heard of daycares and centers that charge overtime rates after 10 hrs. per day. I am open 9 1/2 hrs. and just this alone is 48 hrs. a week. I have one friend that does anything over 45 hrs. per week, is considered OT at the rate of $10.00 per hr. per child. THis allows for a 40 hr. week, and an hr. drive time daily.
Carole's Daycare 04:17 PM 03-05-2010
Here in my county, licensing recommends I not be open more than 6-6 M-F, and if I am, I must have a Dr's note/physical and submit a pile of extra paperwork explaining how I can take care of my family, myself, my housework, bathing, cleaning around kids etc while still maintaining safety and so forth. I decided its way to much paperwork, so informed my parents by hanging that memorandum from my county up and referencing it in a newsletter. My current contract says I am open 6:30 to 5:30, and I have clients from about 6:45 until 5:30 or occasionally later, so I'm already close to that limit. I am in process of redesigning my contract, in which I have eliminated hours of operation completely- stating hours are contracted individually based on work hours and reasonable travel time. I am also upping my late fees to make it much more expensive, therefore a better deterrent, as well as changes to my sick policy. I do agree the kids I have that push those hours really do seem to have more problems, in terms of health, general adherance to policies, behavioral issues, sleep/nutrition issues. While a blanket statement is neither appropriate nor accurate, it does seem these parents are too burnt out to be the best parents- they leave them late to do errands, take their holidays leaving kids in daycare, and these same parents often take sick days at home, leaving kids in daycare, to have a "break" and "get things done" when already most spend 3-4 waking hours per day with them at best, and those same kids are often gone on weekends due to custody arrangments. These parents are clearly under-equipped to handle their kids for extended periods, and do not prioritize their family time as much as they should. Yet these same parents have unreasonable expectations of a spotless daycare with 24-7 availability for minimal costs with unlimited activities that will miraculously have their child academically and socially equipped for the world, regardless of the raw material we have to work with. Yet I must cook, clean, shop, and do everything with 6-10 kids most of the time, and my own the remainder. Some people should not breed.
momma2girls 05:22 PM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
Here in my county, licensing recommends I not be open more than 6-6 M-F, and if I am, I must have a Dr's note/physical and submit a pile of extra paperwork explaining how I can take care of my family, myself, my housework, bathing, cleaning around kids etc while still maintaining safety and so forth. I decided its way to much paperwork, so informed my parents by hanging that memorandum from my county up and referencing it in a newsletter. My current contract says I am open 6:30 to 5:30, and I have clients from about 6:45 until 5:30 or occasionally later, so I'm already close to that limit. I am in process of redesigning my contract, in which I have eliminated hours of operation completely- stating hours are contracted individually based on work hours and reasonable travel time. I am also upping my late fees to make it much more expensive, therefore a better deterrent, as well as changes to my sick policy. I do agree the kids I have that push those hours really do seem to have more problems, in terms of health, general adherance to policies, behavioral issues, sleep/nutrition issues. While a blanket statement is neither appropriate nor accurate, it does seem these parents are too burnt out to be the best parents- they leave them late to do errands, take their holidays leaving kids in daycare, and these same parents often take sick days at home, leaving kids in daycare, to have a "break" and "get things done" when already most spend 3-4 waking hours per day with them at best, and those same kids are often gone on weekends due to custody arrangments. These parents are clearly under-equipped to handle their kids for extended periods, and do not prioritize their family time as much as they should. Yet these same parents have unreasonable expectations of a spotless daycare with 24-7 availability for minimal costs with unlimited activities that will miraculously have their child academically and socially equipped for the world, regardless of the raw material we have to work with. Yet I must cook, clean, shop, and do everything with 6-10 kids most of the time, and my own the remainder. Some people should not breed.
Good for you for placing their work and commute times only!! This has worked very well for me!! Let us know how it goes!!!
MarinaVanessa 08:13 AM 03-07-2010
My max is 10 hours a day. When parents work full time they are at work 9 hours (8 working hours and a 1 hour lunch) which gives them 30 minutes to commute each way. It's our state maximum too I think. No more than 10 hours in any given 24 hour period. I however, don't mind that a parent do their own thing. The way I figure is they paid for the slot, they can use it however they want as long as they don't go over their time. I'm open from 6am-6pm so my first little arrives at 6 and leaves by 4pm.
gkids09 06:40 PM 03-07-2010
I have been told by my licensing advisor that it is REQUIRED (in my state) to report any family who leaves their child at daycare 10 hours per day repeatedly. I am open 10 hours per day, and have two or three kids who are occasionally there all ten hours. All of these kids have parents that work. I agree that it doesn't matter what the parents are doing with their time. They are paying me to keep their child, and that's what I'm going to do. I love all the kids like they are my own, so I know they are getting the best care possible from me, and they are learning at the same time! So many parents come in and tell their kid they are going home so they can watch Thomas or whatever the kid is into at the time. Then they come in the next morning and say they watched TV from the time they got home til after midnight so they might be tired. REALLY?? When this happens, I'm GLAD to be keeping the kid for as long as we're open. lol I would much rather teach him/her than have them going home and being baby-sat by the television...But definitely believe family time is important and kids shouldn't be left any longer than absolutely necessary.
Unregistered 07:03 PM 11-01-2010
what is the approiate time a child should stay in daycare during the day?
Unregistered 04:57 AM 11-02-2010
I guess it all depends on the traffic and commute time in your neck of the woods. In the daycare I work at, we are allowed up to 12 hrs a day. We have one main highway loaded w/traffic lights and it is the one that 99% percent of commuters are forced to take to and from work. 9:00 traffic is murder and most try to get on the road before 7:00 to get to work for 8:30-9:00. It's also slow going on the way home. My DH actually gets going at 4:30 am to beat the traffic to NYC - and he doesn't have kids to drop off at a dc. He leaves NY at 3:00 and doesn't get home till 5:30-6:00 and that is the norm. All the dcs in my area have the same hours - they'd never survive if they didn't. We do have alot of parents that use up almost every minute of those 12 hrs, but around here, it just can't be helped.
BentleysBands 05:10 AM 11-02-2010
wish it were that easy here!!

i'm open 6a-6p and most others are as well, all centers are too.

i do not care how long a child is here so long as i'm paid for it. i have a flat daily rate regardless of childs age.

yes it does bother me when parents drop off to do shopping,etc BUT if they have paid for it then I can't really say what they can and cant do IMO

yes, i hate having screaming kids and wish i could do shopping w/out kids but life isnt that easy for me. i enjoy taking my kids everywhere but some parents just do not since they have me to watch them

so, as long as the parent tells me what/where they will be so i can contact in emergency then i do not care. life is too short to stress about what a parent does while you have their kids . trust me, i use to be strict like alot of you other providers. since changing my daycare ways, i'm much more happier
momma2girls 05:13 AM 11-02-2010
I used to do 11 hr. then it went to 11 1/2 hrs. now it is 9 1/2, wow what a difference!!!
DanceMom 07:10 AM 11-02-2010
Personally I feel that a child should not be in daycare any longer than 8 hours.

HOWEVER, in REALITY I know that can't happen...so with reality I say 10 hours max and that is a REALLY long day ( for everyone ) !
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
Here in my county, licensing recommends I not be open more than 6-6 M-F, and if I am, I must have a Dr's note/physical and submit a pile of extra paperwork explaining how I can take care of my family, myself, my housework, bathing, cleaning around kids etc while still maintaining safety and so forth. I decided its way to much paperwork, so informed my parents by hanging that memorandum from my county up and referencing it in a newsletter.
I am also in Minnesota and I have never heard of that recommendation. I thought we were licensed through the state itself. I have never heard of a county who "recommends" how long our businesses should be open. I wish it were that way here in my county. We can be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and there is no maximum that a child can or can not be in care.
I have actually found the children who are in care with me the longest have the best behavior. They may not be the best behavied for their parent because I am the one who spends the most time with them so that makes sense to me. The kids who are here for 10 or more hours are more influenced by me and the rules and expectations I have so they are the better behaved children compared to the ones who are only part timers. It makes me sad to think of the children who are left in care for so many hours per day, but I am being paid so I can not complain. The parents who have their kids in care for so long are the ones missing out, whether it is by choice or due to work hours.
DanceMom 07:53 AM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am also in Minnesota and I have never heard of that recommendation. I thought we were licensed through the state itself. I have never heard of a county who "recommends" how long our businesses should be open. I wish it were that way here in my county. We can be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and there is no maximum that a child can or can not be in care.
I have actually found the children who are in care with me the longest have the best behavior. They may not be the best behavied for their parent because I am the one who spends the most time with them so that makes sense to me. The kids who are here for 10 or more hours are more influenced by me and the rules and expectations I have so they are the better behaved children compared to the ones who are only part timers. It makes me sad to think of the children who are left in care for so many hours per day, but I am being paid so I can not complain. The parents who have their kids in care for so long are the ones missing out, whether it is by choice or due to work hours.

Ditto to the bold. Its the same way here....all the kids that are FT and here 10 hours are the BEST ones here. The girl that is here 3 1/2 days is the worst.

The parents always tell me how horrible their kids are at home and I tell them they are the opposite here...and of course they then think that I am not running them enough outside or whatever and that is why they have more energy and out of control at home..
countrymom 11:46 AM 11-02-2010
I agree with the above post, the ones that are here the longest are the best behaved kids. I think 10 hours is long enough, anything longer is crazy, might as well let them move in with me.
BUT, my biggest pet peeve is that, fine, if you want to go and do your errands on your day off while I watch your child, BUT WHEN I WANT THE DAY OFF TO RUN ERRANDS I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY SLACK FROM THESE PARENTS. Unfortantly I have one mom who abuses it and throws a fit when I need a day off. There are some things that I just can't do after 6pm when everyone goes home.
DEBBIES DAYCARE 12:07 PM 11-02-2010
I am open from 7am-5:30. I am allowed per my state to be open 12hrs. Most of my DCP use the whole time Im opened.
To be honest I care about my DCKs and wish they can be home with their parents more. I stayed home with mine. I sacrificed and had a daycare myself so as not to miss one thing. I have babies take first steps here. Some times I dont even tell the mother so she maybe will see it that evening and think she was the first.
However......as much as I love the kids lets be honest. I am in business to make money. I am fortunate to do what I love while making it. But quite frankly its not my business what you do while your child is my care as long as I can reach you. I dont care if a parent drops off their kid and goes home and back to bed. I have a dad who goes to the gym first before pick up. I have a mom who comes with wet hair coz she took a shower at home first. Some still use my daycare on their day off.
My kids are grown. I hint to them how fast it happened. How much they can miss if they dont watch closely. But Im not in this to change the world, or to teach parents how to raise children, or to give advice or to judge. Im in this to maybe change 6 little lives for the better while I have them in my home and to make money. If you want to pay me and give me your child for the day even if your are not working or out early and miss out? Thats your loss. and my gain
DCMomOf3 12:09 PM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by DEBBIES DAYCARE:
I am open from 7am-5:30. I am allowed per my state to be open 12hrs. Most of my DCP use the whole time Im opened.
To be honest I care about my DCKs and wish they can be home with their parents more. I stayed home with mine. I sacrificed and had a daycare myself so as not to miss one thing. I have babies take first steps here. Some times I dont even tell the mother so she maybe will see it that evening and think she was the first.
However......as much as I love the kids lets be honest. I am in business to make money. I am fortunate to do what I love while making it. But quite frankly its not my business what you do while your child is my care as long as I can reach you. I dont care if a parent drops off their kid and goes home and back to bed. I have a dad who goes to the gym first before pick up. I have a mom who comes with wet hair coz she took a shower at home first. Some still use my daycare on their day off.
My kids are grown. I hint to them how fast it happened. How much they can miss if they dont watch closely. But Im not in this to change the world, or to teach parents how to raise children, or to give advice or to judge. Im in this to maybe change 6 little lives for the better while I have them in my home and to make money. If you want to pay me and give me your child for the day even if your are not working or out early and miss out? Thats your loss. and my gain
I agree whole heartedly with this.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by countrymom:
BUT, my biggest pet peeve is that, fine, if you want to go and do your errands on your day off while I watch your child, BUT WHEN I WANT THE DAY OFF TO RUN ERRANDS I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY SLACK FROM THESE PARENTS. Unfortantly I have one mom who abuses it and throws a fit when I need a day off. There are some things that I just can't do after 6pm when everyone goes home.
I get that too! I have no problem watching ppl's kids b/c it is what I do. I am open 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week. I do NOT complain to parents that have their kids here every day, ALL day, but how come they are the first ones to complain when I close???? I am closed this year on Dec 20-24 for Christmas vacation and will be open the week between Christmas and New Years b/c I have several SA's that need care and there is no school that week so they will be here....but I have one mom who is throwing an absolute fit that I am not taking that week as the vacation week! She is also the only parent I have who has her kid here from the minute I open to the minute I close M-F (She only works M-R). I get grief from her every time I close....She goes so far as trying to talk me out of days I have planned for closing and trying to get me to do what she thinks.....she drives me crazy sometimes.....
Wow! That turned into a rant! Guess it was fresh in my mind b/c she brought it up yesterday again (gave notice in Sept. She started complaining immediatey....like I didn't give her enough advance notice!!!) She says, "Have you given any thought to my suggestions about Christmas vacation?" I'm like "Nope." Guarantee you she will ask atleast 10 more times before Christmas! ARRGGGG!!!
Gurdy 08:18 AM 11-03-2010
When I first opened, my hours were 6am-6:30pm. Most of the parents brought their children for the entire time that I was open. I knew that they did not work those long hours, so I started gradually changing my hours. I talked to each parent and found out that they were all off work by 5pm so I changed my closing time to 5:30. Then I gradually changed my opening time.
I am now open from 7:30-5:30. I am much happier with these hours. By changing my hours I felt like I took control of the situation, rather than having it dictated to me. I did lose one family by doing this, because she did not want to come pick up her child right after work, but I had other issues with her anyway, so it was for the best.
Live and Learn 09:49 AM 11-03-2010
"appropriate" can be a loaded word....know what I mean....what is appropriate for one family can be totally inappropriate for another. Example...in my opinion it was inappropriate for my own children to be in childcare. I quit work to stay home with my kids and give them 100% of my attention. I started to provide childcare when the youngest was sa. Some parents work 10 and 12 hour shifts. I would not be a provider for them because that would cut into my family time. I work 7:15-4. Any of my dc parents can use those hours if they would like to. Personally speaking I don't think it is right for the child to spend five 12 hour days with the sitter. personally I can't relate to a parent who would want to do this to there own child. Why have kids if you aren't going to make them priority #1? .....sorry for the rant!!!
countrymom 10:56 AM 11-03-2010
I question this too, kids that are here all day for 5 days a week and go home for 2 or 3 hours a night, why would you have kids. Many had jobs before having kids so how were kids going to fit in the equation.
Unregistered 04:54 PM 03-05-2015
I would have no problem caring for a child whose parents worked three ten-hour shifts or four ten-hour shifts, or something like that. What I DO have a problem with are the parents I currently have who leave their child here for ten or more hours a day (FIVE days a week) so that mom or dad can go skiing, or hang out with friends at Starbucks to 'study.'

This particular child does have behavioral issues, and in my opinion after 18 years in the business, it's because the child spends unnecessary hours in daycare and has no consistent discipline or schedule at either mom or dad's home.

Sometimes long work hours necessitate long hours at daycare. But to keep your child at daycare for 12 hours JUST BECAUSE it's open for 12 hours and (by golly) you're gonna get your money's worth, is just wrong to me.
Thriftylady 04:59 PM 03-05-2015
I think it is hard to do a per day thing. DH had several jobs where he was required to work 12 hours a day. Usually though it worked out to 48 hours one week and 36 the next the way it rotated. Companies go to that these days because they can use fewer highly skilled people therefore it costs less. So I do it based on schedules. I mean if you want me to care for your child 30 hours a week, there is a price for that. 45 hours a week, there is a price for that also, but get up above 50 hours a week and you will pay quite a bit more.
nanglgrl 05:26 PM 03-05-2015
Old post but this problem is exactly why I went to a fee based on pick up time. I open at 7:30, pick up at 3:30 is one rate and gets higher every half hour after that up until 5pm. I heard of this from nanny de I believe.

Generally I'm paid $3-3.50 an hour when it's broken down but after 3:30 it goes to $5-6 per 1/2 hour. Amazing how many parents can find a way to pick up earlier when it costs more! For the last few years I closed at 3:30 because everyone was able to pick up. Now I close at 4:45 but they've found someone for the summer who can pick up at 3:30 when the rest of my clients leave.

I can't tell you how many people call and tell me they need full time care when I ask what they need then I ask what hours and they respond by asking what my operating hours are and then say those are the hours they need. Once I tell them how my rates work a good 95% of them suddenly don't need open to close any more and can pick up earlier. It's the strangest thing, sometimes I have to bite my tongue.
Sugaree 05:30 AM 03-09-2015
I work a weird schedule where I work 9 hours a day on Mon-Thurs and 8 hours a day every other Friday. Honestly, I wish we would go to a 4-10 schedule so that I'd have every Friday off, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. I feel like I get more quality time with the kid on full days off than in the evenings when it's dinner, bath, bed, rinse and repeat.
Thriftylady 05:49 AM 03-09-2015
Originally Posted by Sugaree:
I work a weird schedule where I work 9 hours a day on Mon-Thurs and 8 hours a day every other Friday. Honestly, I wish we would go to a 4-10 schedule so that I'd have every Friday off, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. I feel like I get more quality time with the kid on full days off than in the evenings when it's dinner, bath, bed, rinse and repeat.
I felt that way when my son was little and I worked outside the home. I worked normal 8 hour days, but by the time I got off and picked him up, did dinner and dishes, homework etc it was his bedtime. There just wasn't enough time to really have time with him on weekdays.
Annalee 08:48 AM 03-09-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How long do you, as a provider, feel is an appropriate length of time in a single day a child should be in your care?
I allow each child 9 1/2 hrs per day not to exceed closing time at 4:30. I open at 6:00. I have a nurse whom I allow 6-4:30 care for 3 days a week but she isn't allowed to bring her children the other 2 days unless she pays extra.

OOPS! Didn't realize this was an old post!
crazydaycarelady 09:10 AM 03-09-2015
I think 9 hours is appropriate for a working parent to leave their child (an 8 hour workday plus travel time.) However I feel for any child who is in care that long 5 days per week.
MarinaVanessa 10:19 AM 03-09-2015
I think that 10 hours is an appropriate amount of time for children of parents that work full time.

Full time typically (office jobs, M-F jobs etc .. not talking about retail or food jobs) means that they work M-F for 8 hours shifts which is broken up with 1 hour lunch break making their day 9 hours. That leaves them with 30 minutes in the morning to drop their child off at daycare, drive to work, find parking and get to work on time. It also leaves 30 minutes after work to get to their car and get to daycare to get their child.

Some people like people that work in the medical field (doctors, nurses etc.) have longer work days but work less days per week so I might contemplate allowing for an 11 hour day if this was the case but no more than that considering that a normal daycare "hours" day for me would be 11 hours (7am-6pm) and I wouldn't extend my hours past that for a client unless I was compensated VERY nicely for doing this

For Part-timers I wouldn't want to do more than a 4-5 hours unless the child was familiar with me, my daycare etc. I have noticed that in most cases part-time kids have a harder time adjusting to daycare since they don't spend too much time there. So unless it was a full-time child that I had that went to part-time or if it was a 3 day a week part-time child I wouldn't do more than a 5 hour day.
Tags:daycare hours, overtime, rates
Reply Up