Forum DAB Hand Sanitizer HiMama Childcare App

Go Back Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default Advcice Needed

Long story but here it goes:

sorry kind of long..

For sometime now I have been considering increasing my license from small DC to Large DC so that I could allow for those families that are PT to use other days of the week as drop in. Often they need to, but I canít allow it right now as I am at my max capacity daily.

Here is where the issue lies:

I have been caring for a set of brothers for about a year they attend 3 days a week. Love the kids, love the family. We all fit like a glove. So the Mom is expecting with their 3rd child, finally a girl. Parents are super excited and have already asked for the baby to attend the DC.

Currently I do not take infants, or any child under 20 months, as my DC is ran as a preschool. All of the parents are aware of this. As of date, even if I wanted to take on their new baby, I could not as I donít have an open space for her.

The parents have always paid on time, with the exception that over the last several months (even before finding out about PG) the parents have paid me on the pay date, but have asked me to hold the check for a few days before cashing. At first I did not mind, but now its happening more and more.
So I started thinking hmmmm what should I do here. If I increase my license, I will need a helper that I will have to pay. I will also have to pick up one more full time kid to cover the cost of the employee. (am I forgetting anything else that I would be out of pocket for hiring an employee, never had one) The parents are already having a hard time paying for two kids and now they are going to be adding a 3rd. I am worried that if I go through all of this to keep the family are they going to be able to pay me? I have no clue how to bring this up to them and I donít even know if this is what I really want to do. What would you do?

Right now, things could not be more perfect with my daycare as far as my students and parents go, am I making the right choice to hire a helper, increase my license, (which is gonna cost me about $1100.00 to do) just so that I can keep this family??

Also how do I bring this up to the family?
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 AM
melskids's Avatar
melskids melskids is offline
Advanced Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,767

i was in the same dilemma a few months ago.

i decided it wasnt worth the hassle of added expenses, time, or work for just one family. she is actually due this week, and she still hasnt decided what she is going to do. the kids (her other 2 are SA) are telling me she plans on quiting her job and staying home with the baby. she hasn't told me this yet herself, but i would have gone through all the trouble for nothing. i dont have an opening until september for the new baby, so its up to her to find other care until then.

i prefer being a small group anyway.

i would have considered expanding if i had already had a waiting list, and could fill up quickly, but there wasnt anyone else knocking me door down to get in, KWIM?
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Posts: n/a

From your description, it sounds like it might not be worth if financially.

I wouldn't say anything to the family. If you determine it's not worth it financially, then it's not worth it and you just let them know that you love them, but don't have room for an infant right now. The decision is really yours and has to be mostly determined, I think, on your ability to drum up enough business to profit from increasing your license. I wouldn't count on one family to be able to meet the profit margin; I'd look at business in the area as a whole.

Hope you're able to make a decision soon!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:47 AM
dEHmom's Avatar
dEHmom dEHmom is offline
Advanced Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada EH
Posts: 2,355

i started typing response but pc froze. grr.

I wouldnt' bother. Just explain you offer a preschool program, and there is no possibility of infants. They require so much extra care, and it would greatly affect the preschoolers.

I'm sure she would leave the other 2 because she is satisfied already. And may just find someone to watch baby until baby is older. And let her know that as soon as an opening comes available she would have first dibs.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:48 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021

yes I know exactly what you mean and thank you so much for responding... I needed to hear this...
Reply With Quote

economy, new family

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions Needed on My WEBSITE!! :D Fruitloops1 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 07-26-2012 02:47 PM
Brutal Advice Needed pootmcgoot Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 06-02-2012 05:56 PM
Im A Provider Moving To Milwaukee. In What Areas Is Child Care Most Needed? Mariehouse Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 05-17-2012 11:52 AM
Advice Needed.....Before My Head Explodes Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 09-22-2010 10:59 AM
Potty Training Advice Needed =) lmdc Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 11-10-2009 10:52 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17 PM.         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming