Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh No She Didn't!!! After Hours Phone Calls...
TBird 11:40 AM 03-15-2011
Hi all,

I need a reality check....

I turned my cell phone on this morning to find out that I had a DC Parent text me at 9:45p.m. last night and then call me at 10:15p.m. She wanted to know if her child could come tomorrow (I haven't been paid for almost two weeks and she consistently breaks policy). I of course texted her back that I don't have my phone on that late, NOR do I accept personal or business calls at that hour. She didn't leave a message or call back so I'm assuming she found a girlfriend to provide care.

IS IT ME or has she totally blurred the lines??? She is termed as of this coming Thursday. I hope to settle her account and close this chapter in my daycare life...UGH!!!
krystamichelle 11:45 AM 03-15-2011
It wouldn't bother me to get a phone call after hours from a parent, but not a parent like you describe. I would be peeved with that parent, regardless of the time they called (business hours or not), but a late call would probably irk me a little more. She had a lot of nerve to ask for you to keep her child when she already owes two weeks' worth of pay.
dEHmom 11:46 AM 03-15-2011
I agree she has crossed a line.

I know my dcm and I text into the evenings, and during the days too but we get along well, and yes I know I know!!!!

I advised my parents it's fine to text my phone for whatever reason (we go to bed early but if they know they are not coming or something, it's fine) because I check it before i get out of bed. But my ringer and texts are always off so I would never hear it if I was sleeping.
Cat Herder 11:46 AM 03-15-2011
I think this is becoming more and more common every year.

I started taking the home phone/daycare cell phone off the hook at closing years ago

I do check/respond to emails before opening time.
DCMomOf3 11:47 AM 03-15-2011
You don't need a reality check. you are firmly planted on the ground.

Good for you for standing your ground.
daycare 11:54 AM 03-15-2011
I dont allow text msg when being informed of important information. If you have something to just tell me like oh is little johnnys sweater there, I dont mind a text. However, I have been played in the past by a parent that would say Oh well I text you telling you that we were going on vacvation for two weeks, you didnt get the message????? Or I text you that we needed to come 1.5 hours early, you didnt get it.....
so no more texting for this DC....lol
Lucy 12:00 PM 03-15-2011
A mom texted me once in the morning asking if she could come 30 min early because she has stuff she needs to get done at work. I saw the text .... I just didn't answer the text! She came at her normal time.

Several weeks later, same mom called me 45 min before she was supposed to be here. I almost answered, but remembered her text last time, so I let it go to voice mail. Sure enough, "can I bring DD 30 min early today?". I didn't call back. Darn it all... I was in the shower. Go figure!! She hasn't done it since.
TBird 12:01 PM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I dont allow text msg when being informed of important information. If you have something to just tell me like oh is little johnnys sweater there, I dont mind a text. However, I have been played in the past by a parent that would say Oh well I text you telling you that we were going on vacvation for two weeks, you didnt get the message????? Or I text you that we needed to come 1.5 hours early, you didnt get it.....
so no more texting for this DC....lol
AMEN. I "CALLED" her over the weekend and left a message because she ditched me again on Friday AND to let her know that we'd be in and out this week (the park, Chuck E Cheese, etc) so she should let me know her intentions. Never heard from her until 10:15pm Monday night. Ooooooookay...LOL!!!
laundrymom 05:28 PM 03-15-2011
Yeah, I don't mind texts from mine at any hour. But,... I don't have any who take advantage right now. I did and I would read, and either forward to myself to deal with later or just ignore if it's nothing important. I actually prefer texting. I save a copy, have it if need be.
Abigail 08:00 PM 03-15-2011
I'm half and half with using texting or not. I will have a separate cell phone for daycare use only and if it's added to our current plan would only be $10/month more and text messaging is included. I'm trying to decide whether to have a "no text messages" in my policies because they could send it, but I would rather them not.

Text messaging is too easy. I am able to text message my current boss and I've done so a few times. Once I was really sick and ended up going to the ER two times and that was great to text her at 10 pm saying I can't come in tomorrow. I was able to avoid the "you sound sick" or "hang up if you're going to vomit" LOL. Another time I sent a text the day she was making the work schedule to ask for a day off and I wouldn't have asked if I had to talk to her on the phone to explain why it was so last-minute. KWIM? If a family really wants something important they need to call because I can not tell how someone really feels without hearing their voice.
marniewon 08:36 PM 03-15-2011
I don't have a problem with text messages - but I do have a problem with late night phone calls. I stay up late, but I don't want families calling me late, as it might wake my dh who goes to bed early because he has to get up so early.

Actually, I love that my families text me. If it's on the weekend, I can choose to respond or ignore it. But my families usually will text me if child isn't showing up that day or will be late. This works for me, as I don't always want to answer the phone early in the morning, but like to know if child will not be coming or will be late. So far I have had no problem getting any text messages that parents send. So it's working for me.

I think that providers can make their own rules, and if you don't want to deal with clients when you are closed, that's your perogative. (<yeah, I know I butchered that word!). I think that parents just don't think sometimes, when calling/texting over the weekend, and expect immediate answers. It's not like they can call a grocery store after hours and expect immediate answers, why should their daycare be any different?
Tags:after hours - phone call, terminate
Reply Up