Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Post Your Rates On Your Website?
Kimberli 01:23 PM 09-28-2012
Curious as to others' thoughts on posting vs. not posting rates on your website.

I always have posted mine until this past week, and I decided to take them off as an experiment.

I am wondering if it increases the chance of signing a family when they have to contact you to discuss your rates and therefore, you get a chance to connect with them in real time rather than them looking at your site and jotting down your prices but speaking with other providers who don't post rates and being persuaded into setting an interview appointment.

Of course, the downside is that there will be a lot more fielding phone calls from other providers posing as interested parents, but ...

What do you do? Post or not? What has been your experience from either side?
Lilbutterflie 01:29 PM 09-28-2012
I post my rates. I am in the middle of the field with my rates and have no reason to keep that info to myself until they tour. Plus, I feel that my website is really good compared to what some other providers websites are like in my area; so the parents really understand on my website what they get for their money.
Blackcat31 01:31 PM 09-28-2012
I don't post them on my website but I have no issue telling anyone calling or asking what they are.

I don't post them on my website because they aren't set.

Everyone's rate is based off THEIR individual family's needs.
Lyss 01:35 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I post my rates. I am in the middle of the field with my rates and have no reason to keep that info to myself until they tour. Plus, I feel that my website is really good compared to what some other providers websites are like in my area; so the parents really understand on my website what they get for their money.
I feel the same about my website and i'm middle of the road on rates for my area as well!

For awhile I didn't, and I did get a lot more inquiries but they were often just emails saying "how much," "what's you rate?" or "I can only afford 200/mo can you do that" So I finally just decided to put them back up. I kinda felt like I was wasting time responding to people that didn't want to pay what I was asking (which isn't high for my area) and never emailed/called back.
Kimberli 01:36 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't post them on my website but I have no issue telling anyone calling or asking what they are.

I don't post them on my website because they aren't set.

Everyone's rate is based off THEIR individual family's needs.
Interesting! I love your individuality.

So if you don't mind me asking, how do you determine what each family's needs are? Do they discuss what they are comfortable paying or what their combined income is? I'm not sure how I would be able to determine that without being intrusive.
Kimberli 01:39 PM 09-28-2012
I thought my rates too were middle of the road until several recent interviews have led me to believe I may be undervaluing my services slightly! Considering raising ... but not by much.
Blackcat31 02:01 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Kimberli:
Interesting! I love your individuality.

So if you don't mind me asking, how do you determine what each family's needs are? Do they discuss what they are comfortable paying or what their combined income is? I'm not sure how I would be able to determine that without being intrusive.
Oh it isn't complicated at all. I have a base rate I want to earn per day. As an example let's say that amount is $30.

So $30 is what I charge for an 8.5 hour day.

I add $5.00 for each hour they would need on top the 8.5 hours.

I have a certain set of hours I am willing to work inside of and hours I am not willing to work outside of.

I set my $30 per day charge for parents who pick up at 3:30 (I am available beginning at 7:00 a.m daily) so 3:30 is an 8.5 hour day for me.

Ultimately pick ups at 3:30 means a rate of $30 daily
Pick up at 4:30 means a rate of $35 daily
Pick up at 5:30 means a rate of $40 daily.

This is all adjusted too if you need 3, 4 or 5 days of care each week.

It sounds complicated I suppose but really it is simple.

The more care you need the more expensive the rate.

I don't think families using care M-F for 6 hours per day should have the same rate as families who use 10 hours per day M-F.
daycare 02:08 PM 09-28-2012
Oh it isn't complicated at all. I have a base rate I want to earn per day. As an example let's say that amount is $30.

I have a certain set of hours I am willing to work inside of and hours I am not willing to work outside of.

I set my $30 per day charge for parents who pick up at 3:30 (I am available beginning at 7:00 a.m daily) so 3:30 is an 8.5 hour day for me.

I don't think families using care M-F for 6 hours per day should have the same rate as families who use 10 hours per day M-F.
BC I am still trying to figure out how to implement this with my DC.... I want to sooooo bad. BUT I can already see the war zone flaming up from the parents........lol
Crazy8 02:14 PM 09-28-2012
no, I don't post them on my website and I don't give them out until an interview. I feel I am middle of the road - less than most centers, more than the SAHM who "just wants to earn extra money" and will probably quit doing daycare a year or two from now. I know posting my rates would cut down on a few calls but I also don't want every daycare wannabe to have them either.
Kimberli 02:19 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
no, I don't post them on my website and I don't give them out until an interview. I feel I am middle of the road - less than most centers, more than the SAHM who "just wants to earn extra money" and will probably quit doing daycare a year or two from now. I know posting my rates would cut down on a few calls but I also don't want every daycare wannabe to have them either.
So when they call to inquire about your services and ask your rates, is your reply "That is something I will be happy to discuss in person during our interview"? Does that put some people off? Do they ever ask you "Why won't you just tell me your rates over the phone?"

I have to say that as frustrated as I am over some aspects of the childcare industry at the moment, I DO love how much freedom we have pertaining to the choices we get to make in running our businesses!
Kimberli 02:24 PM 09-28-2012

Okay, I understand now. I just know that most of my families use 11 hours or more of childcare a day (I'm open 6a-6p because everyone in the town I live in commutes to work!), so in that scenario my parents would be paying over $200 a week ... and that would certainly price me right out of the market - although I absolutely think we are all worth many times that amount! Love the concept though and I'm so glad it works well for you!
Blackcat31 02:25 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
BC I am still trying to figure out how to implement this with my DC.... I want to sooooo bad. BUT I can already see the war zone flaming up from the parents........lol
But that is only because you are viewing it from only one angle. You are seeing it as the parents hearing "The more you use, the more your rate would be" How about if you view it from the opposite end and say it to your parents like this:

"You will receive a discount from my normal daily rates the earlier yo pick up your child."

When they ask what you mean, you can explain to them that the earlier in the day they pick up, the cheaper their rate will be.

If parents still need to use the entire day, so be it but the ones who don't need the entire day have the option of making their rate a bit less expensive.

Cheaper for earlier or more expensive for later. Means the same thing, just stated in the opposite way.
Blackcat31 02:29 PM 09-28-2012
Okay, I understand now. I just know that most of my families use 11 hours or more of childcare a day (I'm open 6a-6p because everyone in the town I live in commutes to work!), so in that scenario my parents would be paying over $200 a week ... and that would certainly price me right out of the market - although I absolutely think we are all worth many times that amount! Love the concept though and I'm so glad it works well for you!
I do it because I have already done 18+ years of childcare working from open to close with every kid I had staying that long every day.

I do child care in a home in which I do not live. My own children have flown the coop. My personal needs have definitely changed since I first opened my doors.

Knowing when I need to be at work and when I can leave makes a big difference to me now. Much more than it did a few years ago.

Nannyde (a wonderful mentor and forum member) taught me to structure my rates in a way that rewarded parents for earlier pick ups and thus be more in control of the length of my day and number of hours I put in each week.

Best advice I ever got.
Kimberli 02:36 PM 09-28-2012
I do it because I have already done 18+ years of childcare working from open to close with every kid I had staying that long every day.

I do child care in a home in which I do not live. My own children have flown the coop. My personal needs have definitely changed since I first opened my doors.

Knowing when I need to be at work and when I can leave makes a big difference to me now. Much more than it did a few years ago.

Nannyde (a wonderful mentor and forum member) taught me to structure my rates in a way that rewarded parents for earlier pick ups and thus be more in control of the length of my day and number of hours I put in each week.

Best advice I ever got.
Besides having Rockin' business philosophies, I admire your empowerment and you inspire me ... sometimes my overgiving self needs a little kick in the butt! Thanks for sharing your wealth!
daycare 02:42 PM 09-28-2012

Best advice I ever got.
sigh.I miss nannyde.............................
Crazy8 02:48 PM 09-28-2012
So when they call to inquire about your services and ask your rates, is your reply "That is something I will be happy to discuss in person during our interview"? Does that put some people off? Do they ever ask you "Why won't you just tell me your rates over the phone?"

I have to say that as frustrated as I am over some aspects of the childcare industry at the moment, I DO love how much freedom we have pertaining to the choices we get to make in running our businesses!
yes, something like that. If they are persistent I explain that rates are based on individual needs and will sometimes give them a ballpark (high) rate. I think the only ones it puts off are the ones who are aren't even interested in coming here in the first place.
Happy Hearts 02:53 PM 09-28-2012
I post my rates and my Policy Handbook. Weeds out all the riff raff.
Crazy8 02:53 PM 09-28-2012
But that is only because you are viewing it from only one angle. You are seeing it as the parents hearing "The more you use, the more your rate would be" How about if you view it from the opposite end and say it to your parents like this:

"You will receive a discount from my normal daily rates the earlier yo pick up your child."

When they ask what you mean, you can explain to them that the earlier in the day they pick up, the cheaper their rate will be.

If parents still need to use the entire day, so be it but the ones who don't need the entire day have the option of making their rate a bit less expensive.

Cheaper for earlier or more expensive for later. Means the same thing, just stated in the opposite way.
I am starting to implement your rate structure too, sort of did by making my "regular" rate be a 4:30 pick up. Even teachers around here need till 4-4:30 so I rarely ever get anyone who would pick up earlier than 4:30 but I would probably discount it from my 4:30 rate if I got someone.
daycare 03:02 PM 09-28-2012
I think where I have the issue, is if I based if off my "want I want to make charge" or I can call it "my daily rate" that I have now, those parents that pick up past 4:00pm would be paying out the wazooooo for care much more than anyone else around and I know that more than half of my kids can not get picked up before 4:00pm....
Kimberli 04:00 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think where I have the issue, is if I based if off my "want I want to make charge" or I can call it "my daily rate" that I have now, those parents that pick up past 4:00pm would be paying out the wazooooo for care much more than anyone else around and I know that more than half of my kids can not get picked up before 4:00pm....

That's exactly what I was saying. My parents drop off between 6:15 and 7:30 and no child could ever be picked up before 5 - 5:30. Those rates wouldn't be competitive in my area.
SunnyDay 06:06 PM 09-28-2012
Yes, our rates are posted. They are on the high side of average for our area and I feel that I save a lot of time by having them posted rather than answering phone calls and e-mails from those who would not be willing to pay that much.
Abigail 07:39 PM 09-28-2012
I don't have a website and don't plan on having one since I'm almost full and am content at the moment. About the rates......when I first opened last November/December starting advertising and did the classic "I'll go over rate options with you during a tour if you're interested" but so many people didn't want to waste their time. It goes both ways.

So since I opened and got my first family last January I just told people over the phone because I didn't want to waste my time, lol. I have different rates for half-days (4 hours, but I'll do up to 5 honestly) and also anywhere from 1-5 days a week. I also have a higher rate for 0-17 months and the average rate for 18+ months. I do not lower rates anymore than that and only go based off those age groups because licensing has huge differences between those two groups for how many children you can have.

I LOVE my rate chart and the flexibility it gives people. I do require a set schedule do if someone needs 2 days one week and 3 the next to switch from like an A week and B week schedule, I will require them to pay for 3 days a week everyweek whether they use it or not but I am flexible enough to let them change the days each week with advance notice. Right now I have one part time who is 2 days a week and once every other month they switch from a T/TH to a M/TH or something with advance approval or else it's always a set schedule so it's not a hassle for me at all!
dave4him 02:35 AM 09-29-2012
Mine aren't posted but I only have one out of pocket kid and he is 90$ a week. The other two are DHS and I make very little off them both
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 09-29-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I don't have a website and don't plan on having one since I'm almost full and am content at the moment.
I have been full for years. I have a wait list with calls coming in daily for care. I still made a web-site.

My web-site wasn't necessarily made to entice or attract clients (although I am sure it helps) but was made to tell people who I am, what I stand for and what I do within my business. I want people in my community to know I am an established business and have put a ton of hard work and thought into my program.

My web-site is also my go-to site when parents do call inquiring about care.

Like I said, I have a full boat and kids on a wait list but when interested families call me, I don't always have time to tell them all about me or what I do so I simly direct them to my web-site. If they are still interested after that, they can call and get on a wait list for future openings.

I don't advertise or put my site out there so if anyone has seen it, it was from me directing them to it or from them stumbling across it. A majority of my callers get my name and number from word of mouth or from my daycare.com listing or from the local CCR&R lists.

Bottom line is, just because you are full doesn't mean a website isn't a useful and valuable business tool. It can be so much more than just advertising to potential clients.
Tags:prices, rates, websites
Reply Up