Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Think On This One?
cheerfuldom 03:07 PM 06-27-2011
I have an almost 10 month old that is really getting crazy about naps. She has been doing 9-11 and 1-3 for the longest time. I normally start transitioning to one nap a day at 12 months and slowly work towards it till 18 months (we transition slow here). Anyway, I know her nights and naps have been inconsistent at home since day one. Mom and dad are going more and more towards CIO because nothing else is working at this point. It has very slowly been getting worse for about the last 6 weeks but I have stayed 100% consistent with naps here because 1) thats how I do things and 2) I figured it would help with getting nights a little bit more in order. It is very possible that the parents are not doing what they say they are doing but in general, it seems like they are consistent with schedules. So she will go down fairly easy for the morning (meaning she IS tired) and usually stay asleep at least an hour and a half. The afternoon is what is getting out of control. She will go down at 1 and just cry and cry and we are at the point where she cries during the whole nap time. I know nothing is wrong (as far as feeding/diapering/etc) and she has her own room and the same setup to sleep in so nothing has changed here. She will just not go down for that second nap period. When she is up, she normally is a happy easy to please kid so I don't think she's like a rage baby or anything. But the screaming for nap 2 certainly seems like the anger cry and not the help me cry. What do you all think I should do? I can try and leave her up an extra hour between the naps but like today, if that was the case, she should have fallen asleep at 2 instead of 1 but she never did. I am going to wait it out no matter what but thought perhaps some of you had an idea.
Country Kids 04:10 PM 06-27-2011
She honestly may not be tired so quickly. If she is sleeping from 9-10:30 and you are putting her back down at 1:00 she has only been up 2 1/2 hours. She probably hasn't done enough to be tired and is mad because she wants to be up playing not sleeping. How long is she up in the mornings before you lay her down for the first nap? You may have to cut morning nap short or lay her down later in the afternoon. What is her night time sleep schedule like-what time is she going to sleepa and getting up?
daysofelijah 04:17 PM 06-27-2011
Can you move the morning nap earlier and shorten it? I always do older infant naps before breakfast. So my one napper now is 15 months. She arrives at 6:30 and generally goes right back to bed until 8:30. (although it's been getting shorter now that she's older). I don't do bfast until 8:30 here, mom nurses and gives a small snack before she arrives. Then she takes a good nap from 1-3.
Cat Herder 04:59 PM 06-27-2011
I, personally, would try giving her a little snack with a bit of starch to keep her up until 10 instead of putting her down at 9. Maybe sneak her a couple animal crackers with a slice or two of banana in an area where nobody else can see? That can buy you a little more awake time until you establish a routine.

Be careful not to ruin all the effort you have put into eating healthy foods during meals, though... I don't recommend more than a couple or doing this for more than a couple days without significant improvement.

If your don't want to go the starch route you could go with a stimulating sensation like letting her chew on a frozen teething ring to keep her up just a bit longer each morning.

Another option, if you can, is to move AM snack to 9 instead of 10 for a little bit, then slowly move back to 10. Once you get her morning nap down to under 30 minutes each day the afternoon issues should wane and disappear pretty quickly.
Tags:nap issues, sleep problems, transitioning, transitioning - naps
Reply Up